How To Train?

Hi guys! So I have finally thought screw this! I’m sick of looking in the mirror and thinking Jesus you got fat, I need to lose body fat and keep it off! So I was wondering what the best workouts would be at the gym and if anyone can point me in the right direction.......... also going to make a post about food in the nutrition section if anyone wants to help me out there as well ;)

welcome. Why not put everything together in this one post - youll get feedback on everything (various ideas) and its all logged in one place.

Get some stats up (pic also - hide your face etc) so age, training experience, any injuries, plus the diet. Work (i.e office or manual) how active you are and how much time you have (and can stick to) for training.

This really helps in terms of the advice given

So here are some pics of me at the moment
IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG

I’m 29 years old, stand at 5foot 10 inches and weigh 105kgs, I used to go to the gym 3 times a week when I was younger but I just stopped going and lost motivation. AI can’t remember anything I used to do so at the minute I don’t have a strong routine at the gym and just hop between machines, no injuries thankfully. plus the diet. Work is very active and always on my feet lifting heavy objects, I have as long as it takes to get fit and healthy. I want to get bigger but not to big...........Jason Strahan big will be enough for me haha

Bf: 30grams of oats
Half a hand full of berries
Tea spoon peanut butter
Two frozen balls spinach
1 scoop of protein powder

Lunch: 30 grams of brown rice
1 large chicken breast
Large salad

Dinner: baked potato
1 large chicken breast
1 cup of veg

Breakfast is around 8am, lunch is around 12pm and dinner around 4pm

I go to the gym at about 6am for an hour.

Please tell me how this sounds, I’m totally new at this so I have no clue what I’m doing haha so please be gentle!

Well done on getting started and putting pics up.

Two areas to really concentrate on at first:-

1. Diet. Read the diet sticky's in the right section. Work out your macros and total cals.
2. Training. Correct training routine and intensity is a must. Again sticky's in the right section.

You have a long but rewarding and fulfilling journey ahead. Consistency and sheer determination is the key. Take pics every month and post them up. You can look back at progress.

Good luck.

I’m 29 years old, stand at 5foot 10 inches and weigh 105kgs, I used to go to the gym 3 times a week when I was younger but I just stopped going and lost motivation. AI can’t remember anything I used to do so at the minute I don’t have a strong routine at the gym and just hop between machines, no injuries thankfully. plus the diet. Work is very active and always on my feet lifting heavy objects, I have as long as it takes to get fit and healthy. I want to get bigger but not to big...........Jason Strahan big will be enough for me haha
not trying to be funny but is that a Beer gut you have? I cut out the Beer & lost weight fast. Really is a Killer the amount of calories in a Beer.

Forget about bulking (you mentioned this in your other thread). To bulk you need to eat in a calorie surplus which means you’ll add weight and a certain level of body fat. For someone in your condition this isn’t the right option.
I would say you need to lose 15-20kg before you consider adding some size.
From this starting position just by losing weight and resistance training you’ll look far more muscular anyway
The most important thing here to achieve your goals is to be consistent in everything you do. It’s not gonna happen over night so you need to have a diet and training plan that you enjoy and can stick to on a daily basis
The diet you posted isn’t bad at all. You’ll lose weight for sure, but can you stick to it? It doesn’t look like much food, you also have a huge gap between your last meal and breakfast.
Training style at this stage isn’t so important but if you wanna add muscle in the long term then I’d be concentrating on free weights over machines using compound movements
Look into an upper/lower or full body training split. You can do this 3 times a week so m/w/f would work well

Forget about bulking (you mentioned this in your other thread). To bulk you need to eat in a calorie surplus which means you’ll add weight and a certain level of body fat. For someone in your condition this isn’t the right option.
I would say you need to lose 15-20kg before you consider adding some size.
From this starting position just by losing weight and resistance training you’ll look far more muscular anyway
The most important thing here to achieve your goals is to be consistent in everything you do. It’s not gonna happen over night so you need to have a diet and training plan that you enjoy and can stick to on a daily basis
The diet you posted isn’t bad at all. You’ll lose weight for sure, but can you stick to it? It doesn’t look like much food, you also have a huge gap between your last meal and breakfast.
Training style at this stage isn’t so important but if you wanna add muscle in the long term then I’d be concentrating on free weights over machines using compound movements
Look into an upper/lower or full body training split. You can do this 3 times a week so m/w/f would work well
Good post bro, good post.

as @huntingground said Well done on being determined to make a change and putting up pics. Its a long road but the positive is you CAN make a massive difference with some determination

as @pooley1810 has outlined don't even consider bulking. You need to get that weight off - youll feel better, look better and be in a position to then add some muscle back. Diet and Training needs to be something you can stick to - only you know what that is.

If your jobs very active you should find it easy to drop weight - its just a diet thing
how many times a week (sustainably) can you get to the gym?
how long have you been following the diet above and how long you been back training ?

Diet wise the contents are great but it looks a little too light for me. another meal in there would be great (this could be a protein shake if on the go) so we get that protein content bumped up and reduced any chances of going off plan with hunger

Last edited:
I think the best choice is... Basic exercises with free weights. As a practice shows it works good. And on the rest days you can add cardio (like running/swimming/cycling etc)

Back