Huel - Human Fuel.

Discussion in 'Supplement Reviews' started by Redwing, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Redwing

Redwing Muscle Supermarket Rep & Money Saving Expert!

Huel
    Huel has been creating its own Buzz in the world of Nutrition so Ive been keen to try it.

Who is it for?

Well Huel stands for Human Fuel so really its for everyone but primarily aimed at people who want to eat a full balanced natural diet.

“Huel is a nutritionally complete product and is therefore a suitable option for a meal replacement. In addition to all essential vitamins and minerals, it also contains a good fatty acid profile including omega-3, monounsaturated fat and middle chain triglycerides. Furthermore, Huel meets the recommended intake for fibre provided the consumer meets their full calorie requirement with Huel”

Ive got my hands on a Pouch this is 1 weeks worth which is 28 meals, of course that depends on how your going to take it. Ive been taking it as my morning meal still using my supplements for training,Protein BCAAs etc and my usual evening meal.

I know the complete foods are very big in the US I think the leading brand is Soylent ive also read about a Brand called Nano but Ive read they use Maltodextrin.

Huel uses very little sugar ill post up the nutritionals.

Huel is:
    • 100% vegan
    • High in protein - 150g per 2000 calories
    • High in fibre - 35g per 2000 calories (140% of the RDA)
    • Very low in sugar - 3.4g per 2000 calories, less than a teaspoon
    • Nutritionally complete - provide at least 100% of the RDA for all 26 essential vitamins and minerals
    • Low GI
    • Huel contains: No added sugar, no meat or animal products, no soy, making it suitable for those with even the most complex dietary requirements.
    TASTE
    Now making something like this throws up many questions about taste. Make it taste like a Milkshake people will want 3 or 4 shakes in a row. The idea is to be taste neutral but its got to taste decent , filling and not exactly moorish but not bad so drinking it seems a chore.

You see the problem here? Well im happy to report all bases have been covered.

It has a slight Vanilla taste that you can easily manipulate, they actually sell flavour systems on the Huel website or pretty easy to flavour yourself. Personally I didn't feel the need I think it tastes nice.

Filling
    Well this really is a major point of Huel. I found it very filling I had 125g which is around 500cals I felt full and satisfied until my next meal.

Ingredients
    Huel has been formulated by Dietitians and they really have gone for filling 1st class ingredients.

Huel is made from real food. It contains a carefully chosen blend of pea and rice protein, oats, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, and coconut:
    • Ultra Fine Oats
    • Rice Protein
    • Pea Protein
    • Flaxseed
    • MCTs from Coconut
    • Sunflower Lecithin
    • Vitamin & Mineral Blend
    • Vanilla Flavour & Sweetner (Not in the Unflavoured & Unsweetened version)
    Price

1 Weeks worth which is 28 meals currently costs £45 im hoping this will come down once the orders start coming in as this really is a brand new product but if you look at it and really use it how its mean to be used as a Real high fibre , High Protein , Low Sugar nutritionally complete food then £1.60 per meal is very good. There is also a sliding scale the price comes down the more you buy.

My Recommendation
    I can only recommend Huel it uses excellent ingredients, it tastes good and it is very filling.

Is it the future of food? I wouldn't argue against that.

http://huel.com/products/huel#

Attached Files:

2. ReBeL_LiOn

ReBeL_LiOn Full Member

It's not filling at all though......

They have also recently changed something as my second batch is thin as a protein shake

Won't be ordering again, not sure where they get a £45 price tag from either when you look how cheap the ingredients are

zack, JonnyBoy and Redwing like this.
  3. Redwing

Same I had to take it 1 or 2 meal replacement only. Still with my usual evening meals.

4. Redwing

Oh that's strange mine was really thick , i mean seriously thick .

Perhaps that's a question for James.

Guest likes this.
  5. ReBeL_LiOn

ReBeL_LiOn Full Member

I weigh it out, 125 grams

Could easily drink it and then eat a big meal

6. ReBeL_LiOn

ReBeL_LiOn Full Member

My first batch was thick, that was acceptable

This batch is watery and all the flax seeds don't blend and just sit on top of the drink

Really very different from the first batch I ordered

7. Redwing

I found it the same.

Definitely a question for James. May be worth looking at the batch number.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  8. RS86

RS86 Top Contributor

I've been using it in place of 2 meals a day. Really like it. Great for lazy gits like me on days when i'm rushing around too.

As @doink says though not sure I'd cope on a Huel only diet.

9. James Collier

James Collier Full Member

Personally I find it quite filling. What sort is the last batch you're referring to - vanilla or unflavoured/unsweetened? Have you a batch number? I can then look into this for you.

Margins are currently small as ingredients are high quality and not cheap. Plus there's packaging, shipping (which is free in the UK) and the usual business costs.

10. James Collier

a 125g serving is just over 3 scoops which is about what I have. It's supposed to be better in a blender, but I haven't tried this myself yet. I put water in, then Huel, apply the lid, then add a little more water through the spout. I find this ok: I do get a few small lumps at the bottom though, but nothing I can't swill out. But I do find this amount pretty filling.

I'm on between 15 and 22 scoops of Huel myself this January as I felt I should use my own product more regularly than I do. I like food and, yes, I am missing it. I get the nibbles in the evening, but I'm not what could be described as hungry. You can read my journal on this here: http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/FindPost/5382501

11. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

tbh I have not yet jumped on this band wagon as I dont want something too filling or thick in large quantities... apart from making it like 2 litres to drink at a time is there another way to make it less filling (perhaps a lower fibre version?)

12. James Collier

The problem with a lower fibre version is that it wouldn't meet requirements for fibre based on UK / EU guidelines. Also, the fibre comes from the natural ingredients in Huel, so we'd have to change these for unnatural ones like maltodextrin.

Greyphantom likes this.
  13. GM-20

GM-20 Top Contributor

That amount of fibre would have me on the crapper all day.
    I have followed a diet that is liquid based for 4 meals and then 1 solid meal at night.
    I used whey iso, ultra fine oats, egg white powder, udos oil & some frozen berry's in mine and adjusted the macros to suit my needs at the time.

zack likes this.
  14. fitdog

fitdog Top Contributor

Any updates on Huel users guys who use it for more than 3 months? Im looking to buy a load on pay day as im losing weight with my job no time to eat so will use huel throughout the day when driving then a big post workout meal at night-time. I need to feel full and not shit loads. Looking for more up to date feedback.

15. James Collier

Hi - have a look at the Huel forum and there are people who've been using Huel for long periods:
    https://discuss.huel.com/

fitdog likes this.