Huel Or Make Your Own?

Discussion in 'Huel' started by Tommy6, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

Taking some inspiration from @Righty and his outside the box thinking of doing things I've been doing some reading on the huel forum.

I really struggle with meat, as gay as that is I just struggle to chew through cuts of meat due to I believe a gum disease when I was a young boy that had me living on wheetabix for nearly 18months(fully srs).

For my holiday I dieted on mainly whey and protein bars and have considered prepping on whey/casein shakes plus a carb source.

My question is I'm going from now til Xmas as a type experiment then from Xmas until summer in 2 stages, huel seems a really convenient method for me but I've also considered a whey/casein blend and just eating maybe rice or sweet potato alongside, I'm not a fan of green veg which swings me in favour of huel. Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts would be?

2. TinyTim

TinyTim Timothy Sprague-Dawley Moderator

Well, I'm about to order another month's worth of regular Huel.

An unflavoured/unsweetened one has also just been released, so will be getting a bag of that to try, too.

A few of my mates locally are on this now and all report feeling "better" and with seriously good energy levels.

Quite a few on here have bought it to try, too, so will be interesting to see what their thoughts are.

I think it's an ideal base to work from.

doink, Reacher, dee9699 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

I'm not sure how important green veg, micronutrients etc are but I really like the fact they are covered in huel, I believe I have the mindset now to diet long periods and the convenience of something like this is great, I'm just slightly unsure of zero food, but I suppose I could even run whey and bananas pwo or something.

4. ReBeL_LiOn

ReBeL_LiOn Full Member

Interesting topic

Just looked up heul

May try it tbh, its expensive IMO

I'm a good shopper and eat really nice tasty food all month and never spend over 120

I have an all of nothing mindset, so as retarded as it is, if ive dieted perfectly for two weeks and crack and have a chocolate, bar that would send me into a full on binge as i see it as a failure

I suppose the same would happen with this huel too, now I think about it

Is the owner on here ?

He should do a first time buyer discount on a months supply to see what they think

5. Davo

Davo Full Member

I ve just ordered 2 weeks worth hopefully will arrive 2morrow. Going to use it as directed but with 100g whey a day to bump up the protein.

TinyTim and Reacher like this.
  6. ReBeL_LiOn

ReBeL_LiOn Full Member

It says its 2000 calories

So you're going to have about 2400 calories a day ?

Seems very low

That's another thing putting me off, 2,000 calories is too low

7. Davo

Davo Full Member

Yeah that was my plan to start. Not doing cardio at the moment and training x 3 a week. May increase it or whey to move closer to 3000 cals if I need to

TinyTim likes this.
  8. Reacher

Reacher Top Contributor

My aim is to have a weeks trial of huel next week and extend that or change as I feel the need
    It's not the Huel covering all bases that concerns me it's whether I'll miss eating 'meals'
    If I can get satiety from huel only then shouldn't be a prob, if it leaves me feeling hungry..
    Will add a intra and pwo.also.

Quite fancy making the Huel cookies for a bit of variety. Can make work mates think I'm eating biscuits and secretly getting hench
    Wait wut...

@Righty Have you tried making huel cookies? :-)

TinyTim, doink and dee9699 like this.
  9. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

I'm a lot more money aware these days since having a regular job and weekly pay etc but tbh it works out at 6.50 a day which I think Is more than reasonable, not saying you can't get those macros cheaper, just that I don't find 45 per week overly expensive and there is discounts for buying in bulk.

doink, TinyTim and dee9699 like this.
  10. Davo

Davo Full Member

How much huel you going to have a day?

11. ReBeL_LiOn

ReBeL_LiOn Full Member

Listen people

The idea is simple

We are a group of the company owners target market

Everyone change your posts to, you would try if cheaper etc

Then alert said company owner to the topic

Then we get a forum discount on product

nibbsey likes this.
  12. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

I'd rather just be open and honest. That way I feel I get serious answers and respect from other forum members even if I ask stupid questions they know I'm not lying or anything.

Greyphantom and TinyTim like this.
  13. ReBeL_LiOn

ReBeL_LiOn Full Member

This is why you no longer run a business

JANIKvonD, Lewy, doink and 2 others like this.
  14. thesaintishere

thesaintishere Top Contributor

There's a Huel thread on MT. The (co)owner (of both MT and Huel), James, will answer your questions in there. He's a decent bloke.

15. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

I could bite mate, but I'll refrain and take great pleasure in knowing your life is that sad you come onto a bodybuilding forum and troll because you have fuck all better to do with your life.