Hypertension - Take It Seriously

So how many of you guys have a bp cuff at home? We bought an Omron series 10 after doing a lot of research with Omron seeming to be one of the most accurate ones - when we've tested ours against the drs it's always almost exactly the same, a point or two different at most. The series 10 also takes pulse and picks up heart arrhythmias, although if you move your arm during the time it's taking the reading it can false positive for that.

I'm thinking about compiling some info about BP control and diet, supps, meds etc into a post - would anyone be interested in that? I'm sure many on here know most of it already.

So how many of you guys have a bp cuff at home? We bought an Omron series 10 after doing a lot of research with Omron seeming to be one of the most accurate ones - when we've tested ours against the drs it's always almost exactly the same, a point or two different at most. The series 10 also takes pulse and picks up heart arrhythmias, although if you move your arm during the time it's taking the reading it can false positive for that.

I'm thinking about compiling some info about BP control and diet, supps, meds etc into a post - would anyone be interested in that? I'm sure many on here know most of it already.
Yep also bort a fair few supps this week and al do it tomorrow see what is like

Omron 6, 130/70 at moment even on 2.5mg Ramipril a day, 100 RHR. My body is struggling like fook due to sleep apnea.

Would be interested. There's always something that someone does that others might overlook.

Glad shes on the mend mate.

Mines usually high when I check, yet the docs are adamant it's ok and a 24hour monitor comes back ok.. so guna have to be ok with that

Glad to hear she is recovering well mate and please do the write up on bp supps etc

I'll do the write up on supplements and meds bit by bit in separate posts on this thread, and probably edit to add. I'll do it in this thread and then maybe re-write it all for a separate thread if people think that'd be useful. I'll start with some caveats, then list some over the counter vitamins and minerals -

Caveats: The following supplements all fairly consistently (in multiple studies) demonstrate a small reduction in both systolic and diastolic BP when taken orally, however there are a lot of caveats that need to be covered to qualify interpretation of the data.

Basically, the studies vary in the following ways: participant age, gender, concurrent health issues, underlying cause of hypertension, whether the supplement is used in combination with other supplements, whether the supplement is taken in combo with prescribed medications for hypertension or not, whether the effect was short or long term, and dosage of the supplement.

Mostly too few of the studies look in detail at other environmental factors like diet quality (and dietary provision of the discussed nutrient) exercise quantity and type, body composition of the participants or other factors like alcohol or reccy drug use (and especially not gear or PCT). Quality of the supplements used in the studies is also one area where data might be compromised in some individual studies.

There's also no real data to suggest that combining these supplements would lead to a combined reduction in BP values. Some combinations, like Magnesium and Calcium, do appear to work well in combo but not all combos are tested.

I'm putting the above out there to simply remind everyone that just because these supplements on average in a meta-analysis seem to be shown to beneficial at reducing BP, it doesn't necessarily follow that they will be for all people with high BP in all conditions.

Anyway, here is the list:

Vitamins B9 - (Folic Acid). Pooled analysis of studies suggests that 5000 μg/d or greater supplementation of B9 has a slightly beneficial effect on systolic BP (improvements between 0.43 and 3.63 mmHg) but perhaps a more clinically relevant and beneficial effect on endothelial function and vasodilation, itself an important risk reducing factor for BP related conditions.

Vitamin B2 - (Riboflavin). There are several studies that show riboflavin can drop systolic BP by a whopping 6-13 mmHg at a small dose of 1.6mg/d and in addition to the effects of concurrently taken hypertensive medications - however, this effect only works for those with the 677TT (or sometimes written as c677TT) gene variation of the MTHFR gene. Since people of this genotype will have elevated BP simply due to genetics it's a great supplement for them (and worth a try if you have elementary or primary hypertension and not had any genetic testing - high homocysteine levels is a big clue that this might work), but it also means that in non 677TT individuals who have high BP due to other causes riboflavin supplementation might not be anything like as effective directly on BP.

Vitamin C. With results varying across studies it does seem that vitamin C supplements can reduce both systolic and diastolic BP - average drops were 3.84 mmHg for systolic and 1.48 mmHg for diastolic. Doses varied from slightly lower than 500mg/d to higher. Those with high vitamin C intakes from diet showed poorer responses to supplements, suggesting that blood pressure response would not be linear if you kept increasing vitamin C intakes to higher and higher levels.

Magnesium. Again, lots of study variation, but an average daily dose of roughly 370mg of Magnesium led to an average reduction of 3-4 mmHg systolic and 2-3 mmHg diastolic BP. The method of effect was relaxation of the blood vessels. Since Mg is a known calcium channel blocker, this effect makes total sense and likely suggests it's benefit may well be additive to other supplements and medications that work by other methods to reduce BP.

Calcium. Shows fairly consistent small benefit when supplemented daily at 1200mg or more, reducing systolic values by 1.8-2.6 mmHg and diastolic values by 1-1.6 mmHg. This often seemed to work in addition to other meds and supplements. The higher end of the benefits to both BP values were seen in individuals who had very low dietary intakes of calcium generally.

Refs:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697578/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4094332/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0098299716300589
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/95/5/1079/4576767
https://nature.com/articles/ejcn20124
https://www.nature.com/articles/1002038

Will add more later.

A360E473-6F18-48A3-B45D-05F5685FB1E1.jpeg

Two readings, first thing in morning... never in my life has it been this low, dosent make sense? Hmmmm....

Pulse high coz holding abit of water plus on tren ( myt start abit of cardio)

Cant work out why its so low.. is this too low

I'll do the write up on supplements and meds bit by bit in separate posts on this thread, and probably edit to add. I'll do it in this thread and then maybe re-write it all for a separate thread if people think that'd be useful. I'll start with some caveats, then list some over the counter vitamins and minerals -

Caveats: The following supplements all fairly consistently (in multiple studies) demonstrate a small reduction in both systolic and diastolic BP when taken orally, however there are a lot of caveats that need to be covered to qualify interpretation of the data.

Basically, the studies vary in the following ways: participant age, gender, concurrent health issues, underlying cause of hypertension, whether the supplement is used in combination with other supplements, whether the supplement is taken in combo with prescribed medications for hypertension or not, whether the effect was short or long term, and dosage of the supplement.

Mostly too few of the studies look in detail at other environmental factors like diet quality (and dietary provision of the discussed nutrient) exercise quantity and type, body composition of the participants or other factors like alcohol or reccy drug use (and especially not gear or PCT). Quality of the supplements used in the studies is also one area where data might be compromised in some individual studies.

There's also no real data to suggest that combining these supplements would lead to a combined reduction in BP values. Some combinations, like Magnesium and Calcium, do appear to work well in combo but not all combos are tested.

I'm putting the above out there to simply remind everyone that just because these supplements on average in a meta-analysis seem to be shown to beneficial at reducing BP, it doesn't necessarily follow that they will be for all people with high BP in all conditions.

Anyway, here is the list:

Vitamins B9 - (Folic Acid). Pooled analysis of studies suggests that 5000 μg/d or greater supplementation of B9 has a slightly beneficial effect on systolic BP (improvements between 0.43 and 3.63 mmHg) but perhaps a more clinically relevant and beneficial effect on endothelial function and vasodilation, itself an important risk reducing factor for BP related conditions.

Vitamin B2 - (Riboflavin). There are several studies that show riboflavin can drop systolic BP by a whopping 6-13 mmHg at a small dose of 1.6mg/d and in addition to the effects of concurrently taken hypertensive medications - however, this effect only works for those with the 677TT (or sometimes written as c677TT) gene variation of the MTHFR gene. Since people of this genotype will have elevated BP simply due to genetics it's a great supplement for them (and worth a try if you have elementary or primary hypertension and not had any genetic testing - high homocysteine levels is a big clue that this might work), but it also means that in non 677TT individuals who have high BP due to other causes riboflavin supplementation might not be anything like as effective directly on BP.

Vitamin C. With results varying across studies it does seem that vitamin C supplements can reduce both systolic and diastolic BP - average drops were 3.84 mmHg for systolic and 1.48 mmHg for diastolic. Doses varied from slightly lower than 500mg/d to higher. Those with high vitamin C intakes from diet showed poorer responses to supplements, suggesting that blood pressure response would not be linear if you kept increasing vitamin C intakes to higher and higher levels.

Magnesium. Again, lots of study variation, but an average daily dose of roughly 370mg of Magnesium led to an average reduction of 3-4 mmHg systolic and 2-3 mmHg diastolic BP. The method of effect was relaxation of the blood vessels. Since Mg is a known calcium channel blocker, this effect makes total sense and likely suggests it's benefit may well be additive to other supplements and medications that work by other methods to reduce BP.

Calcium. Shows fairly consistent small benefit when supplemented daily at 1200mg or more, reducing systolic values by 1.8-2.6 mmHg and diastolic values by 1-1.6 mmHg. This often seemed to work in addition to other meds and supplements. The higher end of the benefits to both BP values were seen in individuals who had very low dietary intakes of calcium generally.

Refs:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697578/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4094332/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0098299716300589
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/95/5/1079/4576767
https://nature.com/articles/ejcn20124
https://www.nature.com/articles/1002038

Will add more later.

Hibiscus tea - as much touted on here by Con and others
Bergamot
NAC
eating Garlic too in decent amounts has shown to help too
Healthy Fats (some conflicting stuff on this but I think stuff like high quality fish/krill oil, EPO etc is useful)
Vitamin E also - studies have shown it can help reduce build up but jury out on if it helps existing arterial plaque

View attachment 66049

Two readings, first thing in morning... never in my life has it been this low, dosent make sense? Hmmmm....

Pulse high coz holding abit of water plus on tren ( myt start abit of cardio)

Cant work out why its so low.. is this too low

Lowest I've ever seen tbf, especially for a man, on gear.

Not sure its necessarily unhealthy as its technically JUST within normal range I think, but If that monitor is accurate I'd still speak to doc.

Come off tren and u will die if low BP :lol:

Cuff the right size, battery full?

Lowest I've ever seen tbf, especially for a man, on gear.

Not sure its necessarily unhealthy as its technically JUST within normal range I think, but If that monitor is accurate I'd still speak to doc.

Come off tren and u will die if low BP :lol:

Cuff the right size, battery full?
Not right that is it:rofl: i ave actually been goin light headed in evenings aswel...

Dat feel when chiron laces ur tren wif beta blockers

Bump

Mines consistent at 132/92

How does one get the bottom reading down? Do I need to be hitting up United pharmacy

Bump

Mines consistent at 132/92

How does one get the bottom reading down? Do I need to be hitting up United pharmacy

I’ve just had a 24 monitor on mate, awaiting the results. The meds are a cunt to find the dose for so I’d see your doc and go through them. Overdo it and get the wrong dose and you’ll just tank it every time you stand up and waking up on the floor next to the throne every day after your morning constitutional gets boring fast.

The doc can give you a script for half doses and all sorts to play about with, saves you fucking about. There’s also different types of med depending on the cause of it, whether it’s secondary and primary etc, it’s all very inconvenient to do it yourself chap.

Loads of med interractions as well..... Easier to let the GP work it out.

Magnesium will drop it a bit fairly quick in the meantime, just double up on the Tesco ones. Take em with food though or you’ll shite your lungs out.

I’ve just had a 24 monitor on mate, awaiting the results. The meds are a cunt to find the dose for so I’d see your doc and go through them. Overdo it and get the wrong dose and you’ll just tank it every time you stand up and waking up on the floor next to the throne every day after your morning constitutional gets boring fast.

The doc can give you a script for half doses and all sorts to play about with, saves you fucking about. There’s also different types of med depending on the cause of it, whether it’s secondary and primary etc, it’s all very inconvenient to do it yourself chap.

Loads of med interractions as well..... Easier to let the GP work it out.

Magnesium will drop it a bit fairly quick in the meantime, just double up on the Tesco ones. Take em with food though or you’ll shite your lungs out.
Urs has always been low asnt it inda past? What made u get it checked

Urs has always been low asnt it inda past? What made u get it checked

That kidney consultant has sent me for every test under the sun I think. So far so good.

She’s put me on folic acid and more iron as well. Not sure why yet. Sent me a full report on my bloods and said everything’s sound but irons still low. TSH was borderline high but I was using Mod - GRF so that must have been legit. That’s no concern though.

If BP comes back high they can give me meds for it can’t they, no big deal.
If it comes back normal then I’ve got a clean bill of health.

Alls well that ends well bruh

Back