Intermittent Fasting

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by InfiniteInteger, Jun 8, 2016.

1. InfiniteInteger

InfiniteInteger Full Member

Curious as to wether any of you likely lads has used this approach to nutrition and if so how did you find it?

I'm using it to cut at the moment. I eat at 3pm till 9pm and then fast till the following day at 3pm (18h fast).

In general I fucking hate fasting, but this approach seems to be working well. The science of it maintains that you will be pushed further into the fat burning zone during the fast than you can while eating regularly (bar say true keto diet). It also heightens insulin sensitivity and a few other health benefits.

I'm basically finding it easy to stick to, which I found surprising. When I eat 5-8 small meals a day I find my appetite is always tremendous. A few days after doing this and I only really get hungry for the last 2 hours of the fast. Weight is falling off. Managing to maintain muscle without "assistance".

So yeah, as above... Wondering if any of you have done similar, and how you found it, and the results.

PaulAnderson likes this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

PaulAnderson likes this.
  3. PaulAnderson

PaulAnderson Top Contributor

Yeah, I've used it with great success. I tend to throw it in from time to time and am doing IF today in fact. At the moment I try to do at least a couple of IF days a week, and find it's something you can do here and there unlike other diet's that need to establish.

InfiniteInteger likes this.
  4. InfiniteInteger

Thanks for replies guys. @PaulAnderson so you keep your calories constant? I'm eating only around 1600 on non training days (with an hour of low impact cardio). Training days I'm closer to 2200.

Also, what's your view on cardio whilst doing this? I always do it when fasting, usually near the end of the fast (hopefully burn more fat at this stage). Some say that cardio isn't needed.

Did you initially follow it for longer periods? I've been doing it for a month now. re-feed type days once per week, twice if activity level is very high.

5. InfiniteInteger

*so = do

6. PaulAnderson

Personally I find IF a useful way of dieting without having to reduce calories too drastically.

I have a slightly more flexible approach to calories, but aim for around 2300-2500 for my lower calorie days, which I try to have at least 3 days a week. I often hit around 3000-4000 calories twice a week. Food is generally clean though.

When I feel I need to lean up a bit I tend to start my dieting with a period of IF. Normally 1-2 months, but only Monday to Friday. The leaner I get, the less strict I become, and then start to avoid IF if I'm hitting heavy days in the gym. In the past I've done all my sessions fasted, but although energy is there, I find hitting max's becomes harder for heavy singles.

Currently my heavy days are Monday and Friday so I tend to stick to IF Tues-Thurs when I can.

I tend not to do any cardio for weight loss. I occasionally play squash once a week (which I'd do fasted) and last year when doing IF I did do morning fasted LISS, but haven't felt the need this year.

I know I don't know your stats, but I'd be very surprised if 1600 calories wasn't far too low for you, even without fasted cardio and IF.

What do you consider a "refeed type day"?

I tend to have a couple of days of more relaxed, higher calorie days, but I don't binge on junk.

Only a month in seems a bit early to be having refeeds of once or twice a week.

How are you finding weight loss progress? Strength/energy in the gym? Gym progress?

DC77 and InfiniteInteger like this.
  7. InfiniteInteger

Thanks mate, a lot of good info there.

My stats are 97.1kg @ 5'9'' - started at 105kg at about 35% body fat.

I've had a long long break from training, and diet has been terrible. Years of sex, drugs and rock n roll (more like drink, drugs and depression) has seen me get into pretty awful shape. Life is sorted for now though and made good progress. Want to kick it up a gear though.

A re-feed for me is in general eat as usual but with an added 1-2k cals late a night. I do not count these extra calories so hard to say exactly how many. They are usually dirty calories to be honest. I find I look better the day after strangely (glycogen storage?)

In regards to progress, if I keep calories clean and do my light cardio (usually 1h brisk walk) the weight drops off me. Ive been training fairly lightly to get back into it, push/pull split, high frequency... I have made definite improvements in strength and size so happy with this and was surprised tbh due to my low cals.

PaulAnderson likes this.
  8. PaulAnderson

Ok, well I think your calories are too low to be honest, and it'll just lead to you stalling your metabolism/weight loss.

You do say the weight is dropping off though, so I guess stick with what you're doing for the time being.

If you find weight loss stops or energy/strength in the gym decreases, add more calories.

IF should do enough on it's own without a massive calorie deficit. I find I can get leaner on maintenance calories using IF.

For an example, I'm 75kg, 5' 9" and 39 years old and the minimum I'd consider for a low calorie day is 2200 calories. For me, on a gym day my maintenance calories are around 2800 and I sit at a desk all day.

InfiniteInteger and Tommy6 like this.
  9. InfiniteInteger

Thanks for reply @PaulAnderson

Just entered info into TDEE calculator.net and apparently my daily maintenance is 2985 calories. So in effect I should be able to double my calories and still lose weight? I think I might take my calories to 2400, so just under a 600 deficit. What do you think mate?

PaulAnderson likes this.
  10. PaulAnderson

That sounds more like it.

Is that 2985 based of a training day?

As a rule of thumb, I work out my calories for a non-training day, work out my BMR and aim somewhere between.

IMO I think you have to make sure calories are always above your BMR. If you need to take calories that low, you're better adding activity rather than reducing calories.

11. InfiniteInteger

Yes that's on a training day. I think the actual value is higher though, due to more muscle mass. Thanks for all your help mate! Much appreciated! I know who to give a message when I stall, that's if you don't mind of course! Haha :thumbs:

PaulAnderson likes this.
  12. Stevie909

Stevie909 Full Member

Just started IF myself, good info in here thanks lads

PaulAnderson likes this.
  13. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

Done it before with good results and started it this week.

Takes a lot of stress/thinking out of meal prep and allows those with bigger appetites to eat larger meals during the 'eating window' so it doesn't feel like dieting (as the smaller 5-6 feeds daily diets do)

Gets a bad rap for being 'faddy' because the 'caveman' style of feast/famine eating sometimes gets used in conjunction with Paleo food choices and thus it becomes a target for derision. Which is pretty unfair imo.

I ate my first meal today about an hour ago and I only 'suffer' during fasting periods if I'm not keeping myself busy or productive. Otherwise the 16-18 hour fasts are quite a breeze!

PaulAnderson likes this.
  14. Daz1

Daz1 102kg Natty Scum! Top Contributor

IF is a great tool providing you still have a good template and food choices in the feeding window. Sounds stupidly obvious but a few I know fell into the trap of thinking a 16 hour fast would negate a binge come dinner o'clock... end result is more calories in than if you'd not bothered with IF.

15. Jared

Jared Full Member

I would have though that going that long without protein feeds would surely be catabolic. Is there any science on this? I just can't see logically how it's an optimal way to lose fat.