Is your mind 'busy' when you train?

Discussion in 'Training Psychology' started by Cyborg, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Cyborg

Cyborg Top Contributor

Anyone practice emptying their minds when training?

Not thinking anything..pushing aside any thoughts..negative or whatever out.

Just being at one with yourself.

Can anyone do this? and achieve pb's ?

And what about training without music blaring and just train in silence..anyone done this with success?

The world and our minds are busy enough as it is...training in silence can be a good thing, allowing for better concentration.

2. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

Training is the only time I can switch off.

noel, robc1985 and Cyborg like this.
  3. round 2

round 2 Top Contributor

I have to find this when going for it. Takes about 10/15 seconds. Sometimes get a shot of adrenaline at the start that's when you know it's gonna be a good set.
    Some of the people I train with love the old slap across the back.Lol
    Don't do it for me though

Cyborg and LittleLiam like this.
  4. Cyborg

Cyborg Top Contributor

So are able to empty your mind completely? or is it just replaced with CT Fletcher saying ' This is still your mutherf8ckering set' :rofl:

5. kimora25

kimora25 What you think, you become Full Member

i would train without head phones but everyone around me having conversations puts me off.

nelly likes this.
  6. round 2

round 2 Top Contributor

Some would say its always empty......

Cyborg likes this.
  7. jj1981

jj1981 Competitor

I always train in silence but i am getting earphones for chrimbo so i will see if it makes a difference, i am always calm and think all the OTT shouting before a set/ PB attempt is a waste of energy i would rather keep for the lift, but some seem to prefer getting amped up by screaming like a fucking lunatic.

my mind is always the same, dont fail and try pretend the weight is lighter than it actually is.

Cyborg likes this.
  8. RS86

RS86 Top Contributor

I get in the zone every time I walk to the gym and I go to get stuff done. Unless I'm hungover. Then I have to drag my ass down.

9. Cyborg

Cyborg Top Contributor

Describe your 'zone'.

10. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I tend to practice selective attention, or being in the zone... during training hear nothing and focus on nothing except the set, this works most of the time, at times when there is heightened external generated cues I find its much harder to do... in a competition I usually hit the zone right before I lift as I am passing the chalk bin... theres only me the bar the head ref (for commands) and in the background if they play it my lifting music... total zone out... my wife asked if I heard her and the kids shouting at me to lift well during comps... I asked her if she wanted the good answer or the truth :D tbh I dont hear anything...

Dtlv likes this.
  11. Cyborg

Cyborg Top Contributor

Can you not switch off eternal noise in your head?

12. kimora25

kimora25 What you think, you become Full Member

atm i am having alot of stress so im struggling mate..
    sure ill get back to mental clarity again soon, i find being clear of gear helps too..

Cyborg likes this.
  13. Cyborg

Cyborg Top Contributor

Cool answer. :thumb:

14. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    thank you...

Cyborg likes this.
  15. RS86

RS86 Top Contributor

I start visualizing my workout about half an hour before I go down. When I walk down (only about 3 mins walk) I think about what I am going to do, I look into the sky, I take deep breaths and I look angry (probs don't but feel like I do). Headphones in and hood up til I get to the gym. Say my number to who ever is on the desk and straight onto what I am training.

Don't chat to anyone until I am finished. If I am training with someone there will be minimal chat except between exercises.

Always know exactly what I am going to do and how I am going to do it. Not the most helpful if I twinge something mind you as I find I am at a loss what to do or just sack the day off as a write off n go home lol.

Cyborg likes this.