Jamie's Journal

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Jamie555, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Jamie555

Jamie555 Moderator Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Introduction
    It has been some time since my last training log. I'm hoping that this will give me an opportunity to discuss some lifestyle ideas from a more egocentric perspective, get some feedback and suggestions of improvements. Thanks to all those who posted encouragement in @Tommy6's thread which served to kick my butt into gear.

Publishing Latency - There maybe a lag between the days in question and the publishing. This is for various reasons, including the demands of external commitments. I hope to be able to respond to all posts raised, and I will certainly read them all, however this also is subject to time commitments, and there may also be some lag in responding ( I often like to think about points for some time before responding ).

Work in progress - Just as my physical form is work in progress, so is this journal. Formatting may change.

Feel free to ask - I have been reminded that I sometimes delve into some rather esoteric domains of bio, which includes some words and concepts that some maybe unfamiliar with. If you don't know what I am on about, feel free to ask, or wikipedia is not a bad place to start too (many of the bio entries are controlled terms anyway and the quality is often quite reliable).

SitRep
    The latter part of last year was focused on reforming some movements, drills and lower intensity work, This extended into January to some extent as the gym was a little busy, and some testing I did showed there were still some niggles.

I am now looking at stepping up the intensity, reintroducing some limited pushing work, and moving back towards more micromanagement of my dietary macros.

Ailments
    Elbow Bursa [Affected <1yr ]: Latter part of last year was dealing with a bursa issue, which was quite painful even out of the gym at rest. I have had to work around it, but many capacity for pressing motions has been lowered significantly

Malpositioned scapular [Affected: c10yr]: Scapular on one side does not sit in its correct position when at rest, causing rounding of that shoulder. I identified this as a contributing factor to my poor pec development. I have been working on fixing this for c3yr through a combination of activation drills, resistance band work, electric stimulation and mindfulness when in the gym.

Sleep problems [ Affected: Life ]: I have had sleep problems since as long as I can remember, and two periods when they got substantially worse. This is an ongoing challenge for me to unravel what is going on, and whilst may seem a little random for a BB forum, and self indulgent, I may muse about sleep issues and physiology from time to time.

Idiopathic Quad Tremors [ Affected: c5yr ]: I have had unusual unilateral tremors in the quad at certain points in the ROM during exercise, and at times outside the gym. I suspect it is a localised neuromuscular issue, but all roads of enquiry have been fruitless.

Declaration of interests
    I am kindly supported by myprotein.

J

PS: To Mods - please leave the reserved posts below inplace, as I want to do something in them. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    kimora25, Olly, Viktor and 6 others like this.

2. Jamie555

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Reserved... 1

3. Jamie555

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Reserved... 2

4. Jamie555

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Reserved... 3

5. Jamie555

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Mon 02-02-2015
    Training Focus - Chest (MM connection)
    WO DutyCycle=40sec
    HighCableCross 10s
    LowCableCross 8s
    UnilateralCableCrossOverMidline 6s
    IntRot 5s
    ExtRot 5s
    EMS
    Pec 40min FastTwitch then 20min Active Recovery
    Delt 40min FastTwitch then 20min Active Recovery
    Drills
    Pec drills with bands 30min
    Swim
    freestyle 400m
    breaststroke 400m
    Diet
    1Kg myprotein beef mince
    2tins tomato ; 3 onions ; herbs & spices
    8 seeded wraps
    4 PShakes ( Myprotein milk proteins )
    2 myprotein supergreens
    Danish
    Core sups
    Sleep
    Volume: 90min
    Latency: <5min
    Quality: Catecholamine response on waking with normal range blood glucose

6. Jamie555

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Mon 02-02-2015
    Training Focus - Chest (MM connection)
    WO DutyCycle=40sec
    HighCableCross 10s
    LowCableCross 8s
    UnilateralCableCrossOverMidline 6s
    IntRot 5s
    ExtRot 5s
    EMS
    Pec 40min FastTwitch then 20min Active Recovery
    Delt 40min FastTwitch then 20min Active Recovery
    Drills
    Pec drills with bands 30min
    Swim
    freestyle 400m
    breaststroke 400m

Diet

1Kg myprotein beef mince
    2tins tomato ; 3 onions ; herbs & spices
    8 seeded wraps
    4 PShakes ( Myprotein milk proteins )
    2 myprotein supergreens
    Danish
    Core sups

Sleep
    Volume: 90min
    Latency: <5min
    Quality: Catecholamine response on waking with normal range blood glucose

J

7. smurphy

smurphy Top Contributor

Look forward to reading this J, although I will be cracking out the dictionary a bit

nibbsey, PMACK and Jamie555 like this.
  8. PMACK

PMACK Top Contributor

I needed a dictionary just to get through your introduction hehe.no in all honesty looming forward to this as you certainly seem a very knowledgeable bloke,will keep tabs with interest.all best.

Jamie555 likes this.
  9. Levstar

Levstar Top Contributor

Great- glad to see this

I also suffer with sleep issues, not apnaea though just struggle to get to sleep. A tad of insomnia

May go down the pharmacological route but don't want to

Will you be detailing your training set/rep/weight? Or more of a holistic approach?

10. LittleLiam

LittleLiam Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Thank you @Joshua, this will be a real gem in the TM crown. Subscribed with great interest

Jamie555 likes this.
  11. Jamie555

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Mine is insomnia too along with a shift ( phase shift ) in when I sleep and wake. I can talk about some of the strategies I have tried and am looking at, although I would caution that regulation of sleep seems to be quite a complex thing in terms of its mechanism so one persons problems thus solutions maybe quite different even if the symptoms are similar.

As for generic sleeping pills, I have used them a handful of times when things have got very bad, but I don't have much faith in the current nhs arsenal in solving the root problem.

As for the apnea, I did have this badly at one point when I was working hard to increase my neck size. I cut back on that a bit and the problem seems to have reduced. When I lose some more body fat it should get even better.

As for what is going to be detailed, I'm not sure yet. Probably a mix of both to start with although I may switch to a weekly overview of sets / reps etc if there is a lot of repetition. I'm hoping to keep this journal lower maintenance than previous ones.

J

12. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I'm another that suffers from occasional insomnia. If I have something on my mind during the day I will virtually always carry it to bed. Even trivial things. It doesn't help that I've been a shift worker for over 15 years. There are days when I have 3-4 hours sleep tops. Not good.
    Can't wait to get a good insight into how you actually train and how you construct your sessions.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator

Brilliant, nice one @Joshua. I know there will be a lot of people that this will interest. I will be following.

14. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Nice... just nice... looking forward to following your journey and really trying to deny the urge to write silly things in the reserved posts :D

15. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

I would like to take some credit for this lol. Just kidding.

Will follow with great interest.

Jamie555 and CS86 like this.