Jim last 6 weeks write up

Discussion in 'Archived' started by Jim, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim 2x British Champ Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    My last 6 weeks of prep

Ok so I wasn’t very active over the last few weeks of my prep and didn’t run a journal or anything so after a few comments of interest I thought I’d do a little write up on how it went, how I felt and a few thoughts etc.

The Invitation

So here I am, seven weeks out from the finals having just received my qualification after coming 2nd in the light heavy weight category at the Kent Klassic in Gravesend…

Well that was un expected to say the least, the Kent show was not on my radar this yr until 2weeks out from the show, was originally aiming for shows around the end of October maybe even November but as condition come in pretty quick and I decided I looked ok I thought why not do the show as a bit of fun and a bit of extra stage time as Id not been up there for the last year and a half.

I decided to take a few days off of my diet and relax, gather my thoughts and make a decision on whether or not I’d do the Finals.

During this time a few thoughts were floating around my head, wow I didn’t look out of place in an 8 man light heavyweight line up… How much room there still was for improvement…

The main thing that was consuming my thoughts was… man, what went wrong again… yea I got my invite but man did I flatten out and smooth over… I can’t afford this to happen again… There will be no room for error up there on that British stage… Not when stood next to the best that Britain has to offer…

I knew something had to be done and I knew I needed help… For me this was a tough pill to swallow as I have never had any help getting ready for a show and I was use to always being in control… Being a very instinctive person I like to go by feel during a prep.

Enter Llewelline

So as my time off the diet comes to an end I can’t seem to think straight… I decide to finally seek some help… Really all I needed help with was the final week.

I start to think, who is a good coach… who has a good reputation… who is always dry and who’s athletes are always dry…

There were a few names that sprung to mind and after talking with my good friend Mark it got me thinking… Mark trained with James LLewelline a few yrs back when they were both located in kent and Mark couldn’t speak any more highly of James so I thought… yea fuck it I’ll see if he is available… So I got in contact with James and after talking to him I could see how knowledgeable he was and just knew I would be in such good hands working with him so I thought it just seemed like too good an opportunity to miss out on, working with a guy of this calibre I just couldn’t pass it up. At the time I looked on it as an investment as Id learn so much along the way… And I DID!!! I didn’t however realise at this point in time just how invaluable James was going to be to me.

The Change

James asked me what my diet was like, what I did in the final week leading up to the kent and what my supplement intake was like… he changed the lot lol, 1st thing was he added in cardio at 60mins a day as up until this point I had done almost none… he completely re mapped my diet and gave me MORE FOOD! This seemed very odd to me and I explained to James how I was having trouble getting my head around how much food I was eating… it just didn’t seem right to me, James assured me that this was the right course to take and I finally started to let go and let James take control… It felt very odd at 1st… The deeper we got in to prep the more I started to trust James and started to really let go and stop thinking and just start doing! This eventually took a massive weight off of my shoulders!

5 weeks out

At 5 weeks out James said he was going to be in Kent doing a video shoot for the Battle of the Brits dvd that was coming out shortly after the finals and as he had only seen me by photo it would be a good idea to pop over and see him and he would look me over and critique my posing etc, I jumped at the chance and met him at Crayford weights and fitness where he was training another good friend of mine Rob Cannon, well we all had a nice chat then Rob left and I stripped for James in a mirrored room lol

Went through a few poses and then he ripped my posing to pieces lol gave me amaizing tips that made so much sense and made me look about 2% leaner! He was pleased with my condition for 5 weeks out and ran over a few other bits of the diet and what was likely to happen over the next few weeks if all went well.

So any way I left feeling massively reassured and very relaxed that I was in a good place and ready to start another week very motivated!

At this point I was on 6 solid meals 5 of them containing a good amount of carbs, a post workout shake and intra workout aminos yet I was starving all day long and lethargic as hell! My metabolism was racing! Id literally see myself getting tighter and tighter and every single morning! I was amazed at the amount of food I was eating and how lean I was getting!

3weeks out

Well 3 weeks out and things are starting to change… cv has been increased to two sessions (1x60min and 1x30min) and cals have been cut a little… for the last 2 weeks or so to fit everything in like c.v, weights, eating and having enough time to space out the meals, prepping food, looking after George and getting my wifes lunch ready for 13.30 every day (she comes home and I like her to have a warm meal in her when she is at work) then going to work etc I was up at 6-6.30am I’d try to have a nap from 11-12.30pm (couldn’t sleep and I think throu the entire prep actually fell asleep in this time maybe 3 or 4 times lol) then in bed for 01.00am with about 4-6 toilet trips per night on average I was fucking hanging off! Started to take as many days off work as I could without pissing my manager off lol ended up doing 4 day weeks most weeks with the odd 3 day week…

James was off in Vegas watching the Olympia but still keeping very regular contact (almost daily via email) weight was down to 85k or so and hadn’t budged in a while but James was happy with the improvements being made.

Me and my good buddy Matt decided to head over to see his Dad Sean O’reilly at Panthers Gym for some feedback and critique on how I’m looking… we hit a back session and then went in to yet another mirrored room where I stripped off and went through some poses in front of a couple of dudes… I could see a pattern immerging here lol.

The Feedback was very positive! Sean told me I could easily break the top 6 and possibly top 3 in the light heavy’s! He didn’t really have a negative word to say…

So Tuesday, the day after Panthers visit… I’m sick as a dog! Shitting through the eye of a needle and feel like im gonna vomit all day long… I decide I needed to keep pushing, I stimmed myself up and cracked on… weights was a waste of time and cardio was the hardest cardio in the world! After 3 days of trying to force feed and keep the cv up I tell James and he said to sack it off, keep fluids high but dnt worry about food and do not attempt any cv or training!!! Was better after one full day off lol.

2weeks out Dark places

So here I am, 2 weeks out feeling pretty fucking drained! The lack of sleep and massive energy output daily was really taking its toll on me, I couldn’t tell my arse from my elbow at this point and I’d had a few wobbles earlier in week3 so Id arranged to see James in Wales, so 5hr in the car eating turkey and rice with a pregnant wife doing the driving… a few stops on the way and Sarah had a tuna sarny at one of the services… oh dear, we get to wales and I had planned to take Sarah out for dinner to say thank you for driving me all this way (Id have had a chicken breast and a baked tata!) This is what I mean about support… who’s wife would drive them 5hrs across the country to train with someone and get looked at in the middle of a gym in a pair of pants? Maybe a better question is what cunt gets his pregnant wife to do this for him? Lol. Any way as the night draws in Sarah says “I dnt feel right…” well that was it… all night in a premier inn chucking up! Poor Sarah must have had some dodgy tuna!

The next day I meet James in Power House gym where he takes me through a chest session, it was very different to say the least! Learnt a few new techniques and had a massive pump! Went through some poses and James was very impressed! I think this is when I looked my best, I was full, hard and dry and weighed in pw at 84k. we were very happy with this, James said he wanted me to dip down to 83k before we started to feed me back up nice and slowly. He gives me the following weeks diet and I look at and think… Oh dear! There isn’t very much food in that… its starting to get even darker…

The next day Sarah had to drive us home to get George and she was still pretty rough bless her! 7hr later!!! We arrive at home after sitting in traffic for an extra 2hr!

The Plan Changes!!!

So with about 10days to go I hit the 83k mark… I inform James and await the plan of action and anticipate an increase in carbs… I then get the phone call that made my heart sink… “Jim… How do you feel about being a middle weight again?” “tbh mate… not very good…” “Jim mate I think it will be the diff between scraping a top 6 in the light heavies and a top 3 finish in the middles” “you know what James my heads up my ass mate Im putting the decision in your hands… tell me what to do” So fuck me we went for it… james told me the plan and my blood run cold… I just wanted some food… but now it was serious depletion time! I was giving James my a.m and p.m weight daily.

We got me down to 79.8kby the Saturday so was looking good.

The Day

Wake up and hop on the scales anticipating being comfortably u80k and with enough room for a breakfast… 79.8k… ffs that’s not enough room for anything so was literally a few rice cakes and pb with a few sips of water and was up to 79.9k! wowowowowow! So stopped eating and drinking until after weigh in… weighed in after some more pissing at 79k on the dot! I thought James was gonna start to to feed me up at this point but nope…

Went for some food then my tan… we had issues with my tan… needed 3 attempts as it just wouldn’t stick!

Any way fast forward all the boring shit and here I am getting ready to pump up… James is going over ever thing with me and then it’s time to get oiled up…

James is getting the hump with the way the tan women are oiling me so he took over and I ended up with 3 ppl oiling me up! Lol

Well… time is upon us! “go out there and fight for it jim!” was the last thing I remember hearing as I walk behind the curtain…

Here we are stood there on stage under the blinding lights in the front quarter turn pose… for what felt like an eternity, we go through the quarters and then we have the 1st call out… they are calling out competitor after competitor and I was praying for my number and then last number called out “and competitor number 140” Oh thank fuck! The sense of relief as O knew this meant I was at least being considered for the top 6.

We go through the turns again and then me and last yrs winner Cliff Benton are called into the middle… go through the compulsories and back in line.

Back stage and waiting for the top 6 to be called to do their routine, I still had no idea that I was in the top 6 at this point just so use to being told no thanks you’re not good enough…

I started to cramp bad in my right oblique area and no amount of stretching would help it… one of the tan women asked me if I wanted some electrolytes so I said yes!!! Banged em in and before I was out for my routine the cramps had subsided and I felt much better.

Went through the routine and I never really squeeze during my routine as Im not being judged and Id rather keep my energy for the pose down etc

So top 6 back out and go over the quarters and compulsories… Pose down!

I made a bee line for Cliff and started matching him pose for pose… he made the mistake of turning to the side for a side chest shot, BOOM! Hit it too, side triceps BOOOOOM! That was my pose all day long! I told him so and his reply was “oh yea how are them gluts” I laughed and said SHREDDED mate! Turned to the rear boom rear double bicep with elbow fighting lol

Plenty of pushing and banta on stage…

Back in line for the placing’s… 6th place was handed out… good, good at least I’m top 5… wow top 4, 3 holy shit Im top 3! I was ready to take my trophy from this point on really… oh… my… god… im top 2… “and in second place Cliff Benton!” what? I can see James and my friends and wife all screaming and Sarah was crying… I was full of emotion too… I did shed a tear up there Im not ashamed to admit it… struggled to keep em back the rest of the time I was up there…

Get back stage and James was waiting with the biggest smile on his face! I hugged him and thanked him, cried a bit lol so did James lol! The man gave me so much through prep! He said early on “I give my clients 100% and I expect the same back” and he did give me 100% and certainly gave him 100% through that prep! He was so involved in the prep and so passionate about it and the sport in general, I really can’t give him enough credit he was fucking amazing!

Well think this is where I’ll leave it… we all know about the overall, it was taken by an awesome heavy weight Nathan Sylvester. Awesome physique and quite a nice fella back stage etc.

I know this wasn’t very detailed in terms of what I did with diet and the last week etc but in all fairness its not my work to post.

Not sure if this makes a good read or not… I dnt feel like I’ve covered everything but can’t think of anything you would wanna hear so feel free to fire away with any questions you have etc I’ll answer em ether in here or I might even do a video QnA thing and post that up.

If it's a bit shit I'm very tiered... lol

Jim

Simon, JimmyF, smurphy and 23 others like this.

2. Jim

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Few pics

Attached Files:

smurphy, RS, TinyTim and 7 others like this.
  3. Jim

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Watch "James watts NEW UKBFF MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION!!!!" on YouTube - James watts NEW UKBFF MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION!!!!:

smurphy and TheProducer like this.
  4. Jim

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Watch "James watts NEW UKBFF MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION posin…" on YouTube - James watts NEW UKBFF MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION posin…:

5. Jim

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Watch "UKBFF British Championships middleweight winner J…" on YouTube - UKBFF British Championships middleweight winner J…:

JimmyF, smurphy, Cyborg and 4 others like this.
  6. Marsbar

Marsbar Full Member

Cracking post mate and a very well deserved win

Jim likes this.
  7. TheProducer

TheProducer Top Contributor

Cracking read mate and well done on the win!

Whats next for you mate? you gotta make use of this win for sure, seeing all the other guys getting a shit load of sponsorship from it. Get your name out there Tom.

Jim likes this.
  8. sean162

sean162 Full Member

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Followed u since the day i joined over on ukm! Always had a great attitude toward the sport and a ridiculous work ethic. Always been inspiration and a motivation. Just gone and proved me right for following you. Really pleased and impressed by you and for you.!

Jim and TheProducer like this.
  9. JB

JB KFC Sponsored Athlete Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Cracking write up Tom :lol: Jim

Jim and TheProducer like this.
  10. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

10 days out, ok everything's changing, could've been a total mindfuck but great to see you just follow instructions n have trust in your coach.

Think you can know go on to big things as a team.

Jim likes this.
  11. Chrisj22

Chrisj22 Top Contributor

Superb write-up :)

Jim likes this.
  12. SK-XO

SK-XO Herbalife got me jacked Top Contributor

Great piece mate v interesting to see exactly what you did there. Looked ace as well.

Jim likes this.
  13. blackbeard

blackbeard Competitor

Super write up Jim. I'm stubborn and independent like you and never used a coach.
    Perhaps I'll change my ways and invest in one next year.

Jim likes this.
  14. daddy1

daddy1 Competitor

:thumb:Great write up and pics @Jim

Jim likes this.
  15. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

Great write up and excellent result, cracking stuff!!!

Jim likes this.