Lifting As You Get Older...

@Steedee @tomlet1 the stuff regarding leg equipment is totally true. Those pivot squat and true squat machines, I've been looking into dropping the cash on a proper belt squat machine. These seem to have gone from just being rehab tools to being the preferred choice along with the Rogers pro squat machine in many top US strength and conditioning university facilities. I've seen a few interviews with their coaches who say now there priority is to keep the athlete safe for the season whilst progressing.
I do feel now that unless you powerlifter there is no reason to battle a lift that doesn't agree with you just because you feel you should.

just warm up,i take 20-30 mins most days then do 2-3 heavy hard sets,recoverys better,just spend the time
warming up,you don't have to change the way you train really...I think compounds are more important
now than ever to maintain size and mass...form is everything.

44 this year. Lighter weights, much more high intensity cardio and a much healthier diet. Have dropped down to 13 stone and feel and look much better for it.

Only been training 5years, I'll be 48 on Monday so nothing to relate it to. Don't let it hold me back, as I don't know what is heavy if I'd of trained years ago.
First couple of years when I was just trying to lose weight was machine based, and still picked up injuries but I listened to my body less.
Regular sports massages and listening to my body more ensures I'm more injury free (like dropping lat raises Thursday after fighting truck for 8hrs in high winds when delts were already fatigued)

@Steedee @tomlet1 the stuff regarding leg equipment is totally true. Those pivot squat and true squat machines, I've been looking into dropping the cash on a proper belt squat machine. These seem to have gone from just being rehab tools to being the preferred choice along with the Rogers pro squat machine in many top US strength and conditioning university facilities. I've seen a few interviews with their coaches who say now there priority is to keep the athlete safe for the season whilst progressing.
I do feel now that unless you powerlifter there is no reason to battle a lift that doesn't agree with you just because you feel you should.

Just been looking at the Roger Athletic range of equipment mate. Looks superb. The seated squat machine is perfect for those with back conditions like yourself. Bet they are not cheap though LOL. Im yet to see any of this equipment in a gym yet.

I skipped squats for years due to a back injury. I built most of my mass in my legs from Leg press and Hacks. Ive only started squatting regularly again over the last couple of years. And tbh I tend to do that on a smith machine so I can position myself with minimal stress.

I started out when I was 23 and will be 48 this year. Been through numerous styles of workout over the years, been up as high as 225lb body weight (Mrs said I had to cut back as I was snoring a lot at that size) and I've been fortunate enough not to have any major issues over the years and still fit and healthy now. I changed to two full body workouts per week some time ago, Squat, deadlift, bench and military press plus ancillary stuff if I feel like it. I still go through periods of "must get stronger" or "must get leaner" and this affects reps and weights. Currently doing 20rep sets for everything and its killing me even after some big reductions in the weights to start with. Those incremental increases each week soon start taking their toll.

49 this year.
Only thing I've found that's changed is that injuries take a little bit longer to recover from or they hang around permanently in the background..
I've got a damaged front delt which gives me problems every time I go heavy on Bench - a pain in the ass as Benching was one of my best lifts. But there's a way round every problem. The solution is to just take it a bit easier with the weight and use DBs a bit more as they give better ROM.
It hasn't affected mass and really, the only downer is the numbers.

But that's the price I pay for being beautiful.

Hey pal, I'm 48 and still train and compete. I train hard and heavy sometimes then other times keep light and high reps. Your body will let you know how it's feeling and adjust your workout to suit. I only ever CV now if I'm in competition mode.

53 mate still training as hard, use slightly lighter weights these days but still heavier than most in my gym , three operations on my legs and a bicep infection over the last couple of years but still turn up to train 5 days a week [emoji12]

Hey pal, I'm 48 and still train and compete. I train hard and heavy sometimes then other times keep light and high reps. Your body will let you know how it's feeling and adjust your workout to suit. I only ever CV now if I'm in competition mode.
Look great mate.

I decided to compete in Powerlifting again after turning 40 and having over a decade off weight training.

Must need my head reading.

Want a crack at strongman once I feel like my strength is good, proportionate to my bodyweight... and I WILL get there in the next few years.

My father in law only started lifting at 54 and competed in strongman a year later. He can hold his own against lads half his age on some events then on others he can struggle.

Hes had a year lay off but plans to compete again next year, he will be 61.

Back