Log Book Vs More Instinctive Training

Discussion in 'Training Psychology' started by T800, Apr 15, 2016.

1. T800

T800 Full Member

Always seem to struggle between which method/style to pick:

Log Book
    Pros:
    -Well thought out plan
    -Progressive overload+food+time=mass
    -Laser like focus on what needs to be achieved that session and therefore sense of accomplishment when achieved

Cons:
    -For me it creates an almost training angst, sense of anxiety, a bit of a mental battle--especially if using an abbreviated routine where you have to "rest" on certain days--insanely it becomes all I can think about
    -when weights start getting heavy the following day after training I start to feel almost hungover (CNS burnout?)
    -Almost prone to too much planning of the routine which again creates an "angst" to devise the perfect split which is obviously bull shit.
    -In an attempt to beat the numbers form can slip which can lead to an under stimulation of muscle and possible injury.

Instinctive:
    Pros:
    -Little/No time thinking about training when not training
    -Feeling of freedom
    -Adapt session as it progresses = listening to the body
    -Focus on form, contraction as opposed to beating a number

Cons:
    -No true measure of progress
    -How much is enough, when do you know you have done enough?
    -Can feel a bit random

Sorry for the ramble but would appreciate people's experiences. Anyone a die hard log book trainer, anyone always been instinctive and got good results, any one switched from one method to another and noticed dramatic progress?

Thanks

Spartan111, Jared and Fatbrah like this.

2. Fatbrah

Fatbrah TMuscle Fatministrator Top Contributor

Some great points there.. Deffo relate to the traning "anxiety"'on log book training

But... Ive never made better progress.. Used to fuk about but used to leave to the hard exercises etc..

So for me persnaly who is abit lazy when traning meself the log book is vital to progress

PaulAnderson and T800 like this.
  3. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

Mines log book but I just pay dig to do it......

I open the email, read it and do it.

Log book + I guess.... Used to stress over it, second guess myself, chop and change and just go by feel but i just got lazy... Now I just read it and do it and I know it's progressive week on week.

For a small cost I've found it a massive benefit.

T800 and Fatbrah like this.
  4. Fatbrah

Bet ur made up i shown u to the promise land bro.. Best thing we both ever did

Srs

doink likes this.
  5. smoggybowman

smoggybowman Full Member

I think of this as natural progression to be honest... initially the 'log book', to the letter method is good as there is a lot to learn about how things suit the individual and it forces the consistent routine aspect of training. It naturally then becomes more instinctive I think so some flexibility will appear by itself.

T800 likes this.
  6. RS

RS THE ALMIGHTY Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Ive always intended to keep a log but never done it - I know how much I become enslaved logging diet when I used to, so autistic - so I purposely avoid doing it with training. For my ends diet was more important so I chose to log that... for trainingnI was happy with the lift until you cant philosophy

T800 likes this.
  7. Con

Con Moderator

I have a strange ability with my memory where I remember every weight and rep used not only on my workouts but also my clients for about 2 weeks after the training took place.
    This eliminates the need for the most part for the log book.
    I always try and push as hard as I can.
    Some days the joints and body just doesn't want to use mega heavy weights so I will use different methods on those days.

I guess the main difference to many people is I don't like low rep ranges any more (when I was younger I did!).
    Honestly if I don't get at least 12 reps on 90% of my sets I feel like I wasted a set.
    Time under tension is so important and it's very hard to get 45 seconds of TUT when you're only doing 6 reps!

SeasideSCP, T800 and Fatbrah like this.
  8. T800

T800 Full Member

I guess I would class myself as a semi mental (in the nicest possible way) as RS pointed out I get enslaved by the log book and seem to lose all perspective on how my body is feeling--basically if it's squat day I will attempt a pub even if my lower back is in tatters-not smart but as I say it enslaves me and I appear to lose all rational thought.

Con-yeah I agree with TUT being important, last night I did low rep heavy squats, today I have felt like shit--but not in my body feels awesomely trashed kind of way, more like I have a hangover, I'm really irratible and my mind/brain feels fucked---my body actually feels good to go but when I get the urge to train its like my brain is saying "fuck off". Is the way forward stimulating growth whilst not taxing the CNS (or at least very little) in order to allow for more frequent training or is a hammered CNS a precursor to growth?

Fatbrah likes this.
  9. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    for me its log book every time, imho nearly all people will dick about trying out "instinctive" training and end up losing all progress... very few have the knowledge and will to follow this through well... and the memory too :D with a log book you have a quantifiable progress report all the time, I do get nervous when I get my sessions through (another team Dig member here) cos I sometimes think that arse has it in for me lol... but I do it and usually get it done which is awesome... so use that nervousness/anxiety to lift better... that hungover feeling will go as you condition yourself better... the last two are just down to programming and not second guessing, the worst thing is that most people try to "keep the body guessing" but really they are not giving the body time to adapt etc... as for the instinctive you list, most people "listen to their body" meaning lets slack off or find an excuse to do chest and arms again... you can focus on form and concentration while beating a number but it takes training... and should be programmed in :D

all in all its log book... for most people imho...

Incredible Bulk, doink and T800 like this.
  10. T800

T800 Full Member

Ok lot of log book responses-sweet

Out of interest how often do you all train per week? "Instinctively" I can do 5-6 sessions a week but if I was using the logbook I would guess it would be more like 3-4 in order to allow for more recovery and just feeling the urge to attack the weights.

11. Fatbrah

4 a week i prefer mate which is 90% of the time...

T800 likes this.
  12. SoCalGirl

SoCalGirl Top Contributor

Prefer Instinctive training and going by the body. At the same time i always hit each muscle group once a week. So if chest was up next but I was feeling like I'd have a really good legs session id do legs and chest the day after

T800 likes this.
  13. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Musclexcess Sponsored Athlete Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    did i lift 60kg on this lift last week or 50kg? ok i will go for 60kg.
    it was actually 70kg and you just pissed about with a weight you have already adapted to stimuli wise.

nailed 5 reps last week, this week i'm going for 6. (constant self competition)

i note mood/injuries/weights/gear... its all pieces to a puzzle.

i'm a log book fan and one reason i progress quicker than if i just did what i fancied IMO

Fraz, Reacher, Fatbrah and 1 other person like this.
  14. hsmann87

hsmann87 Top Contributor

I dip in and out of log books - it fucks me too much and by that I mean fatigue and little injuries.

I do defo feel log books have their place but I also love instinctive stuff so I mix it up

At the end of the day if you train HARD and eat & rest properly you will progress

T800 likes this.
  15. Hilly

Hilly Nutritionist and Sports Therapist Moderator

I used to before I picked up injuries that stop me from lifting as heavy as I can on most lifts.

For me now it's all about hitting failure n wearing the muscle down using techniques that mean I'm not using max weights.

RS, Reacher, jtf1 and 1 other person like this.