Log Books, Ego And Technique

Discussion in 'Training Psychology' started by B|GJOE, Feb 13, 2016.

1. B|GJOE

B|GJOE Diet Expert Expert

Not really sure where I'm really aiming with this post, but I'm just going bash the keyboard and see where it goes.

Ego
    You often hear people talk about leaving Ego at the door before they train. Claiming it's not what you lift but it's how you lift it that counts. Having said that, humans cannot be totally void of an ego, especially in this game. However, in my opinion, as a bodybuilder, I believe that your ego should come from how your body looks and not what you lifted to create it. It's taken me a long time to lose my lifting numbers ego, but I do believe that I have it mastered now. I've had a few people lately ask me what I lift, and my answer is a pretty generic 'I don't give a f**k'. Really! I don't, if I'm not 'feeling it' I will just strip weight off until I do.

Log Books
    Since being a PT, I've kept a log book of all my clients workouts, claiming that the #1 principle in building muscle above all others is progressive overload. But there is a floor, i've discovered. Look above....Ego! Every couple of months I find myself reigning my clients in as the form has dropped. Upon analysing this, I believe that it's my fault. Because I want them to be progressive, i've missed the odd 5% drop in form the beat previous numbers to the point, the form is not bad, but not as strict as it was. As a consequence we drop back to a few weeks previous weights/reps. This pattern seems to be cyclical, but long term progressive. 3 steps forward 2 back.

Technique
    Since being a PT, and observing all kinds bodies, and mechanics I've really got to grips with what's happening during lifting. I've developed a very keen eye to be able to spot any slight cheat, or incorporation of an unitentional use of a non target muscle group assisting the lift. For example, the preacher curl is essentially a seasaw. A slight movement in bodyweight one side gives a huge mechanical advantage on the other. Pulling the elbow tightly into the bench as you lift eliminates the rotation of the shoulder and forces a squeeze etc etc. I've become so obsessed with isolation, maximum range, and contraction of target muscle in order to achieve maximum efficiency, smaller weights, less sets/reps to achieve necessary stimulus.

In summary
    I myself, have ditched some of my own beliefs and ego, and now I just lift totally arbitrarily with regards weight and reps so long as I literally get a tearing feel on negative portion of movement, and I get a rock solid contraction at the muscle's shortest position. Result, my physique is getting more balanced, I do less volume, and my mass much more retainable, I hardly do any gear at all now. Just about to start after 5½ months off. I feel so much better without the need to hold long conversations about numbers, honestly, who gives a monkey's. Never had a judge yet ask what I lifted vs another athlete, and then score him better because he lifted more.

Keeping a log book, observing the principles of progressive overload, and holding technique requires huge discipline, and to be done correctly is too time consuming. For example, even if you're super disciplined on form consistency, you'll still need to be measuring too many variables to know if progression is happening. Like, tempo, TUT, not just across the set, but each rep.

Keep you Ego's healthy guys, no point posting your PB lifts as a bodybuilder when the muscle you're working looks under developed.

Bit of a random spew up of my thoughts, make of it what you will. I hope I got my point across. Please discuss.