Mind-Muscle Connection

Discussion in 'Training Psychology' started by MusclePat, Sep 12, 2013.

1. MusclePat

MusclePat Full Member

It's often said that for training to be at it's most effective, there must be a proper connection between your mind and the muscle you are working.
    Are there any techniques that anyone uses to strengthen/ develop this connection? Like perhaps picturing the action of the muscles in your mind during a rep?
    Look forward to responses!

2. darkside

darkside Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I find it easier to keep mind muscle connection if I move the weight slower and squeeze all the way through the movement.

Posted using TMuscle App

Joshua likes this.
  3. Little Simon

Little Simon Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    A fancy way of saying "concentrate on what you're fucking doing"

That's how I view it to be honest.

4. danny187

danny187 Top Contributor

Yeah just know what muscle you wanna hit and focus on trying to hit..

5. Benicillin

Benicillin Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    If you train with a partner can get them to tap/touch the muscle while you lift. Helped me out when I couldn't get the connection with rear delt stuff

Posted using TMuscle App

Joshua and Phmg like this.
  6. Little Simon

Little Simon Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here

Same can be applied for the powerlifts, you go through mental cues to make sure you're lifting efficiently.

7. Little Simon

Little Simon Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here

My training partner used to feel my glutes to make sure they were being worked during squats, or so he said, now I'm not so sure...

:lol:

Incredible Bulk, Nail, Ninja and 3 others like this.
  8. MusclePat

MusclePat Full Member

yeah the personal trainer i've had for last 6 weeks does that during certain movements - really helped with exercises where i wasnt quite sure what to focus on/ what i should be feeling. could then tense/ flex the muscle more during the movement

9. JW007

JW007

If you partake a lift regularly enough, your neural network becomes more efficient at said exercise and you get better\stronger at it without any thought!

ie like a footballer kicking a ball or a boxer in a fight, if they stopped to think about what they are doing it wouldn't really do them many favours lol.

I found this with lifting, if I was say squatting 300+kg and I started to think about it, then I probably would fail the lift, but if I didn't think about anything, the weight, connection etc etc, and just psyhed up got under bar and lifted, then would be much easier!

However, this way certainly helped me lift more weight, I suppose in some instances if BBing is your aim then might have some relevance.

But IMO a mix of both types training would yield best results

10. Phmg

Phmg

Training Log:
    Click Here
    A good amount of warmup sets works well for me. Focusing on contracting more than is needed for that weight. Then keep that going when you have upped to working weight.

MusclePat likes this.
  11. Con

Con Moderator

It's a funny topic because it really has been only the past year or so where I have focused purely on muscle contractions.
    Before it was just moving weight from point A to point B.
    But I would always do controlled negatives and so on.
    Now my pumps are much stronger and I get more DOMS but I can't say I have seen any thing dramatic as far as my physique goes.

So I say move the weight lower under control and make sure the set lasts a decent length of time=job done.

MusclePat and danny187 like this.
  12. Jim

Jim 2x British Champ Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I tend to focus on the muscles Im working and compound moves will be pretty heavy and controlled with a squeeze but iso moves are all about the mind muscle connection and slow reps with a massive squeeze!

MusclePat likes this.
  13. TAFKA

TAFKA Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    iv always struggled to feel my chest working, always been delts and tri... started doing a few very very slow cable fly before and feel what the contraction is like just before my bench , ths helped me and now i dont need to do them but will if i feel im not stressing the chest correctly the odd session.

now just need to start getting some weight on the bar with these higher reps.. or in lay mans terms man the fvck up

MusclePat likes this.
  14. 2004mark

2004mark Full Member

At the moment I'm trying to keep weights lighter on a lot of exercise for the sake of my puney joints. So it's somthing I've been concentrating on.

For me thinking about how the muscle works and the plain it's intended to move in and then focusing on how you intend to move the weight with your body works. This helps me block out the default 'most efficient' movement my brain is trying to get me to do and therefore minimising the recruitment of other muscles that can assist the movement.

For instance on pullups while I'm doing then I'm constantly thinking of my lats as a fan shape, but more importantly keeping the elbows out with a wide a sweep as possible. This helps me maximise the work through the muscle from the fully stretched position to the fully contacted (well as contacted as you can with pullups).

I've found it helped me keep the reps down (8ish) while using less weight and still getting the same results.

Posted using TMuscle App

15. AMW83

AMW83 Top Contributor

Old thread bump:

For the last few months I have been trying to focus on the muscle contraction during the particular exercise. I find certain muscles easier to focus on. Do others have the same experience?
    The muscles I find easier to focus on are below and the exercise I find easier during the focus.
    Back: pull downs, db rows, bb rows, pull ups. Sometimes rack pulls. Deads activate my hams too much.
    Quads: leg ext, partial or front squats.
    Bi's: any preacher curls (db, Ez bar) or machine
    Tri's: CGBP, over head rope ext & dips
    Chest: really struggle to get the connection apart from when performing flies.
    Shoulders: cable cross overs and any press works plus shrugs.
    Hams: lying/standing leg ext, lunges and leg press SLDL.

Ideally I would like to get the connection when doing chest press, be it db or bb. Would like to feel the side delts more too when working shoulders. Anyone have any tips?