Mixing It Up New Routine Advice?

Discussion in 'Training Information' started by somersetpaul, Oct 5, 2017.

1. somersetpaul

somersetpaul

I am still relatively new to going to the gym, not unfit as also a keen cyclist, but want to tone up a little.

I have been exclusively using the free weights but, as my opportunities to get to the gym are getting less and less with work, I want to build a routine I can also do at home.

I have a flat bench, door pull-up bar, a handful of adjustable dumbbells, plus, homemade TRX suspension trainer and homemade cable pulley.

On the (increasingly) frequent days I cannot get to the gym, how does this routine look? The aim is to mix up the routine to use a combination of the suspension trainer, my own bodyweight, dumbbells and the cable, to try to make it more interesting too..... I wouldn't use ALL of the exercises for a given piece of equipment on the same day, but choose 2 from each of the categories which hopefully compliment each other. Plus, I wouldn't mix TRX plank with bodyweight plank on the same day, so any similar exercises would be split across different weeks.

I hope that all makes sense, let me know what you think. It's a 4 day per week plan:

Day One > Chest & Triceps
    Suspension > Chest Fly > Chest Press > Push Up > Press Fly Combo > Tricep Extension
    Dumbbell > Dumbbell Press (Flat, Incline, or Decline) > Seated Tricep Press > Skullcrusher > Dumbbell Fly (Flat, Reverse)
    Cable > Tricep Extension > Lying Cable Tricep Extension > Reverse Grip Cable Tricep Extension > Seated Low Pulley Overhead Tricep Extension
    Bodyweight > Dips > Push Up (Flat, Incline, Decline, or Wide)
    Day Three > Back & Biceps
    Suspension > Inverted Row > Curl > Delt Fly
    Dumbbell > Reverse Grip Bent Over Row > Curl (Hammer, Zottman, Concentration, or Reverse Grip) > Deadlift
    Cable > Lat Pulldown > Straight Bar Cable Curl > Rope Cable Curl > Reverse Fly > Cable Row > Face Pull
    Bodyweight > Pullups >
    Day Five > Shoulder & Abs
    Suspension > Atomic Push Up > Power Pull > Standing Rollout > Hamstring Pull-In > Side Lunge > Side Plank
    Dumbbell > Shoulder Press > Military Press > Reverse Fly > Upright Row >
    Cable > Lateral Raise > Front Raise > Shrug > Upright Row > Seated Shoulder Press > Straight Arm Pulldown
    Bodyweight > Plank > Crunches (or Reverse)
    Day Seven > Legs & Abs
    Suspension > Mountain Climber > Single Leg Squat > Plank > Pike > Crunch > Glute Bridge > Pendulum Swing
    Dumbbell > Goblet Squat > Lunge > Farmers Walk > Step Up
    Cable > Cable Crunch > Woodchopper > Standing Abduction > Front Squat
    Bodyweight > Squat > Leg Raise > L Seat > V Sit Up

Eddie 1977 likes this.

2. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

Are you suggesting doing all of those lifts every session?! Because I count 20+ different excercises for just day one!

If I do 6 different movements for my whole upper body it's been a big session

Eddie 1977 likes this.
  3. somersetpaul

somersetpaul

Thanks and nope, not all lifts every time. I would choose say 2 from each area, so one chest & tricep day routine may be made up of suspension chest fly and suspension tricep extension, flat dumbbell press and skullcrusher, reverse grip cable tricep extension and seated low pulley overhead tricep extension finishing with push ups..... A legs day could be suspension mountain climber, goblet squat, farmers walk, cable crunch and woodchopper finishing with bodyweight squat and leg raise.
    Hope that makes sense.

4. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

Still too much mate IMO.
    That's 7 for chest and tris you're either sandbagging the first few lifts or using weights on the last few that aren't going to do fuck all. Or both?

Home workouts are tricky as you're likely going to have to concede weight used for used, for volume but you still want to be looking at moving more weight on a regular basis.

Eddie 1977 likes this.
  5. bertos

bertos Full Member

Have to agree. When I first started 10+ years ago routine looked a bit like OP's. Now I do two exercises per body parts, four sets per exercise. Only exception back and quads where 3 exercises seems to be more optimal. If it takes more than 45 mins its a long workout nowadays.
    Less (but intense) is definitely more for me.

Eddie 1977 likes this.
  6. doink

doink Top Contributor

Dat wall of text

Eddie 1977 likes this.
  7. somersetpaul

somersetpaul

Thanks for the quality replies

Is the theory still sound, moving between suspension, cable, dumbbell and body weight, or, am I blowing out of my ass?

Bertos - how would a legs day look for you, what rep range do you hit!

Appreciate both of your replies.....

Eddie 1977 likes this.
  8. bertos

bertos Full Member

Quads
    Squats x4 (reps 10-12)
    Heavy press x4 8-10
    Extensions x4 20+

Hams
    RDL or ham curls x4 8-10

Calves
    Standing and seated raises supersetted.

Standing 10-15 seated 15 plus.

Eddie 1977 likes this.
  9. bertos

bertos Full Member

Legs is my longest work out of the week by far.

10. somersetpaul

somersetpaul

Wow thanks

And your typical back day?

Eddie 1977 likes this.
  11. bertos

bertos Full Member

Rack dead lifts x4 10 reps ish
    Wide grip pulls (weighted) (4x to failure
    Rows or similar 12-15 reps
    Shrugs (not always needed if good deads session).

Eddie 1977 likes this.