Mobsters grip n stuff

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mobster, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Mobster

Mobster Grip Expert Expert

Thursday - pm
    Coached Naz, Seb and Jacek and worked the Rolling Thunder hard (see note).

Rolling Thunder using older handle
    As per weight is load only. I'm using my older handle as I think it compares the most like the latest version IM have for sale. I know Mark pulled 301lbs on the previous model (and this is quoted as the record on their site) but has pulled 271lbs on the newer one. I (as per YT video) pulled 276lbs on a new one Sam Solomi brought for me to try. No one pulled more than 260 at the most recent event (Vice Grip Viking Challenge at the FitExpo in LA).
    B/H: 60-kilos a hand x 6 reps @, 80-kilos a hand x 3 reps @, 100-kilos x 1-2 x 1 rep @ (inc one for publicity photo).
    L/H: tried 115-kilos, dropped to 110-kilos x 2 x 1 reps, 112.5-kilos (easy) x 1 rep, 113.75-kilos x 1 rep, 115-kilos (solid) x 1 rep and 116.25-kilos x fail
    R/H: 122.5-kilos x 4 (may have been 5) x 1 reps. 1 or 2 more singles more than last time.

I'm working this hard 1-2 times a week (I need to watch I do not start stalling as I get to peak strength on this as has happened before) as I am promoting (with a LOT of help from Dennie Felix) and competing in a competition to be held at the NEC/ Bodypower. Supported by Bodypower (I'll be on their site later) and with Ironmind sponsorship. Last year some 25,000 people came through the main doors over the weekend and the strength arena had crowds of at least 1000 most of the day. The event will be open to all (with a limit on numbers of course) and 'joes' have to pull a qualifying poundage. Then they go up against WSM competitors including Mark Felix, Terry Hollands and more. I aim to to VERY well.

Nytol and Joshua like this.

2. CJ

CJ Top Contributor

A lot of that made no sense to me mate, have you got a link or vid of what you do ?

3. Con

Con Moderator

My best rolling thunder pull was 250lb.
    I do enjoy grip contests (won my first one and will be doing another in a few months) its nice to have a different way of testing strenght.
    Its great for the public as anyone can have a go and try and lift some weight!

4. Simon

Simon Administrator

Great stuff. Thanks for posting this. Will be an interesting read. If you get a chance maybe stick up some pics :)

5. CJ

CJ Top Contributor

Just youtube'd it, I'd love to have a go at that as I've always considered my grip to be strong

6. Dom

Dom Moderator Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    ive just started to get more into grip training. what would you consider to be a solid weight on the rolling thunder?

7. Con

Con Moderator

^Any thing over 200lb is good going!

valkry van mate likes this.
  8. Mobster

Con's correct and while it might change the current plan is to have the lads qualify with 90-kilos at the NEC.

For my YT videos look up gripperbookguy and you'll see me pull 276 as mentioned.

9. CJ

CJ Top Contributor

got a link bud

10. Dom

Dom Moderator Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    JUGGERNAUT likes this.
  11. CJ

CJ Top Contributor

very impressive

12. Mobster

Here's that video of the 276lbs pull:

JW007, CJ and xpower like this.
  13. Mobster

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Same long ass day as per. Nath, Seb, Mike, G, Carl and Jacek

T/Grippers
    'T/Grippers' stands for ''Torsion Spring Grippers''. Basically the ones everyone uses but a step up in strength.
    See last 1-2 sessions for reference. Usual warm ups
    L/H: to newer HG350 x VVN, TnG, older x 1, VVN, N, N, N, N
    R/H: to the newer HG350 x 2 x 1 reps, older 350 x 3 x 1 reps, CoC 3.5 x 3 x 1 reps, BBSE x 3 x 1 reps

2HP
    '2HP' stands for 2 hand pinch. I'm No 2 in the world with 117.5-kilos at Xmas.
    to 107.5-kilos x 4 x 1 reps, 112-kilos x 1 and 1 fail

JUGGERNAUT likes this.
  14. CJ

CJ Top Contributor

Christ, I know who to see if I need a bottle of ketchup opened

Markfranco likes this.
  15. xpower

xpower Full Member

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Impressive stuff