My opinion on excess calories.

Why are many power lifters way smaller than bodybuilders who lift far less?

Fact is you gain what your genetics will allow
Muscles dont know weight, they only know intensity.
Incorrect.
This is why I said in a 8-20 rep range.
Powerlifters focus on the 1 rep max.
1 rep max involves a lot of CNS training not just muscle.

Incorrect.
This is why I said in a 8-20 rep range.
Powerlifters focus on the 1 rep max.
1 rep max involves a lot of CNS training not just muscle.

I class a weight I can do 20 reps with a moderate weight, but I think we are on the same page now.

Only time I ever manage to add decent mass is by old fashioned bulking. I've tried lean bulks and I'm just pissing against the wind every time.
Sure, I look like shit for a couple of months but as I tend to hit the calories in the winter, it's really only noticeable to me and I have no trouble losing the fat when I need to.

Some "lean bulkers" carry around a bit too smug an attitude. But hey, fuck it. I do what works for me.

I class a weight I can do 20 reps with a moderate weight, but I think we are on the same page now.
I actually favor high rep ranges these days 15-20 for a lot of exercises.
But I still go as heavy as possible.
Doing this has allowed me to train more frequently (literally training ED atm) because the CNS doesn't take the same beating that it would working in lets say the 4-6 rep range.

because they use technique and form to hit max weights not aiming for size its all about weight lifted not working for hypertrophy two very very different forms of training and really different thought processes too... leverages come into play more than moving it with your muscles...

Myofibrillar protein synthesis ie. Creating new muscle tissue does have an upper limit, and once past this limit any excess calories will no longer be used towards MPS.

However, a number of factors will affect this limit and therefore the amount of calories that can be utilised for MPS, for one person this may only be 50, for another it may be 200 or 400. Without looking at the literature I cannot say for certain what the upper limit would be.

Some of the factors worth noting are; nutrition (protein, carbs and fats, micronutrients, specific amino acids such as leucine), training (type, volume, intensity, frequency), drugs (specific compounds, doseage), internal stress (ie. disease, fatigue, recovery etc.)
The catabolic side is one of the biggest factors IMO. Signalling from dietary energy excess places a strong kibosh on that.

J

Surely a powerlifters Supp/diet/training/gear useage are all very different to a true bbers
So too many variables too really make any true comparison?
Jp uses alot of heavy deads etc pl style training (continuously progressing with weights etc) and he is very big.

some excellent posts, shame the op's only picking out random irrelevant snippets to reply to now :sad:

getting back on the subject...this had me looking some pro's off season weight VS competition weight..

gunter- off season 340lb competition 295lb
markus rhul- off season 320lb competition 270lb
kai green - off season 325lb competition 270lb
yates- off season 290lb competition 260lb

Back