Nytol's Occasional Training Log

I don't recall speaking to you about it before mate but who knows you might be right

I've taken a job where training might be a bit difficult so I'll probably be stuck training fairly infrequently, that's the only reason I ask as I still wanna progress if possible

I started training this way through necessity/accident, I moved to a very rural area and could only get to the gym twice a week, so I used a 3 way split, over 9 days, Mon, Thurs, Mon.

After being in a bit of a rut for a while, my progress suddenly shot up, which I was not expecting.

This made me consider recovery even more, and a few years later, when I was stronger, and hitting a bit of a wall, I thought why not try an even longer period of recovery, so gave it a go, and started to progress again.

At this time I was benching 200kg+ every session, and pulling near 300kg every session, plus weighted chins with 50-60kg etc, so the stress on my 105kg frame was significant.

Currently I split things, Monday/Thursday each week.

Chest, Delts, Triceps

Legs

Lats and Biceps

Deadlifts

The main thing I want when I speak to people about this, is not that they start training twice a week etc, but that they get the 7 day man made week out of their head and realise that has nothing to do with human biology or muscle recovery, it may take longer, or if you are born with Ronnie Coleman genetics you may genuinely be able to train more frequently and recover fully, but that is rare as rocking horse shit :confused:

When u say still progress do you mean in strength or lbm? Or both?

Do u find u cnt eat as much when not traning v often?

Must take alot of will power coz most people just literally like going the gym dnt they

A bit of both mate, one tends to follow the other.

It takes HUGE will power, I love going to the gym, and now I have my own gym, which is kitted out perfectly for me, :D

But I know if I train more, I get less, so have to have words with myself on a frequent basis.

Great thread. I'd mentioned it on a thread where @Con had talked about a powerlifter he knew that was jacked, strong a/f, natty or long-term 'clean' at least and trained with lower volume (I am aware that you are taking frequency here for the most part), but I find a similar method works for me.

Big, compound exercises: pulls, squats, presses, and rows – use lots of weight and intensity on one or two workings sets that leave nothing in the tank.

Cycle it so deadlifts fall at least 10 days apart, preferably 14 – if they come earlier out of necessity I change to trap bar or deficits or otherwise slightly different movements with carryover.

Squats fall every 5 days.

Military or push presses every 7 days.

Bench every 7 to 10 days.

Conditioning with prowler every 3-4 days, but vary the weight and duration depending on energy levels.

If I feel like going up to a max attempt at any point, I do. If I feel stiff or uncomfortable, my working sets go to failure at lower weights.

Doing this, rather than the standard splits or blocks I was able to change my physique entirely. Before this, I was stagnated and always dreading the next pull or squat session – felt taxed and tired all the time.

The only thing is that until I added the more frequent prowler work, finding the right sort of kcal levels to not get too fluffy whist training this way was always a challenge. But did I ever get big and strong. My current routine has been a bit more frequent, but I know I'll gain more if I back off again –– this is a game of patience as much as anything.

I've posted this before... but look at the difference over 3 years of using this method, from 37 to 40 y/o – no AAS used in almost a decade (way before the first pic) just some peptides and ostarine.

49032396_AFDB_4243_9068_A2225132_AD4_A.jpg

I'm really glad I started reading this log mate, it's validated a lot of what I felt was happening with my training – and you're a goddamn beast, too!

Great thread. I'd mentioned it on a thread where @Con had talked about a powerlifter he knew that was jacked, strong a/f, natty or long-term 'clean' at least and trained with lower volume (I am aware that you are taking frequency here for the most part), but I find a similar method works for me.

Big, compound exercises: pulls, squats, presses, and rows – use lots of weight and intensity on one or two workings sets that leave nothing in the tank.

Cycle it so deadlifts fall at least 10 days apart, preferably 14 – if they come earlier out of necessity I change to trap bar or deficits or otherwise slightly different movements with carryover.

Conditioning with prowler every 3-4 days, but vary the weight and duration depending on energy levels.

If I feel like going up to a max attempt at any point, I do. If I feel stiff or uncomfortable, my working sets go to failure at lower weights.

Doing this, rather than the standard splits or blocks I was able to change my physique entirely. Before this, I was stagnated and always dreading the next pull or squat session – felt taxed and tired all the time.

The only thing is that until I added the more frequent prowler work, finding the right sort of kcal levels to not get too fluffy whist training this way was always a challenge. But did I ever get big and strong. My current routine has been a bit more frequent, but I know I'll gain more if I back off again –– this is a game of patience as much as anything.

I've posted this before... but look at the difference over 3 years of using this method, from 37 to 40 y/o – no AAS used in almost a decade (way before the first pic) just some peptides and ostarine.

I'm really glad I started reading this log mate, it's validated a lot of what I felt was happening with my training – and you're a goddamn beast, too!
Some fuckin progress that
Even if was assisted wud be good but natty.. hats off big boy

I started training this way through necessity/accident, I moved to a very rural area and could only get to the gym twice a week, so I used a 3 way split, over 9 days, Mon, Thurs, Mon.

After being in a bit of a rut for a while, my progress suddenly shot up, which I was not expecting.

This made me consider recovery even more, and a few years later, when I was stronger, and hitting a bit of a wall, I thought why not try an even longer period of recovery, so gave it a go, and started to progress again.

At this time I was benching 200kg+ every session, and pulling near 300kg every session, plus weighted chins with 50-60kg etc, so the stress on my 105kg frame was significant.

Currently I split things, Monday/Thursday each week.

Chest, Delts, Triceps

Legs

Lats and Biceps

Deadlifts

The main thing I want when I speak to people about this, is not that they start training twice a week etc, but that they get the 7 day man made week out of their head and realise that has nothing to do with human biology or muscle recovery, it may take longer, or if you are born with Ronnie Coleman genetics you may genuinely be able to train more frequently and recover fully, but that is rare as rocking horse shit :confused:

So monday would be chest/delt/tri

Then thurs legs

Then Monday of the next week lats /bis

Then Thurs of second week deads?

So literally every 2 weeks u repeat said session?

I know this is prob obvious but im very tired today lmao

Then thurs legs

Think you've got it spot on mate. Very thought provoking and I believe @Nytol to be held in very high regard by a lot of top names so certainly good for thought.

Some fuckin progress that
Even if was assisted wud be good but natty.. hats off big boy

Cheers 'brah!

I wouldn't say 'natty', as I'd been on gear and bigger in the late '90's, early 2000's – plus, as I said, I'd used peptides for a year and ostarine for two cycles too.

But I guess I've gained 30 odd kg between pics, and a lot of it is reasonable quality tissue, and the most gains came when I scaled training right back on volume and frequency, but upped intensity whilst actually doing it. My working sets are all out, focused and nasty. The rest of the time I'm a lazy fuck.

That's awesome progress mate, and I love the fact you are swimming against the tide of more is better, if it's not working then add in extra shit.

One thing I may or may not have mentioned on here previously is that when I was benching heavy, pre shoulder injury, (I put up an easy 182.5kg at the gym meet a few months back so even with a fucked shoulder I'm not totally spent yet), I didn't train delts at all.

Even 7 days apart the delt pressing affected my bench, and after two years of no delt training, they didn't really look any different, and on the rare occasion I did some overhead press, (because I enjoy it), I'd lost almost no strength.

Then thurs legs

That is correct mate, and I've missed plenty of seemingly obvious stuff myself today also :D

That's awesome progress mate, and I love the fact you are swimming against the tide of more is better, if it's not working then add in extra shit.

One thing I may or may not have mentioned on here previously is that when I was benching heavy, pre shoulder injury, (I put up an easy 182.5kg at the gym meet a few months back so even with a fucked shoulder I'm not totally spent yet), I didn't train delts at all.

Even 7 days apart the delt pressing affected my bench, and after two years of no delt training, they didn't really look any different, and on the rare occasion I did some overhead press, (because I enjoy it), I'd lost almost no strength.

Thanks man, I hear ya.

I will drop out all overhead work leading up to my comp in March now. If I can go up above my current 2rm (haven't tested 1rm this block yet), I'll be very, very happy. :)

Back