Pain Tolerance - How's Yours?

Discussion in 'Training Psychology' started by Kaotik, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Top Contributor

Do you have a high pain tolerance or wimp out at the first sign of any real discomfort?

It's something that's interested me lately, having a massive pain tolerance can only do you good whether you're weight training, doing combat sports etc. I'm sure we all push ourselves to and beyond our threshold in the gym, squeezing out that last rep while our muscles feel like they're on fire, but I'm sure we could all increase the limit further.

Anyone do any mental exercises specifically for this?

2. gemc1981

gemc1981 Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I think it depends on what type of pain it is. Some things I can cope with very well and others not so much.

Sometimes I think pain you can mentally prepare for - that you know is coming - can be easier to cope with than pain that is a shock

Posted using TMuscle App

Joshua, Kaotik and CJ like this.
  3. CJ

CJ Top Contributor

Used to be very high butni more.intolerant to it now im getting older

Posted using TMuscle App

4. Con

Con Moderator

Mental visualization helps when trying to push through pain.
    My pain tolerance is huge to the point where it can be a problem in that I wont stop when I should.

noel and Kaotik like this.
  5. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

Same as @gemc1981 some things im pretty good with other things not so good.

Improving mental toughness certainly helps to improve training efforts IME. It's a bit of a controversial topic i think as most people would look at some of the ways people have done it and just say 'fcking stupid, pointless, no benefit to anything whatsoever..etc'. Look at how well guys like David Blaine control there body using their mind, some of the stuff he does is incredible (not the illusions i mean other stuff).

Kaotik and gemc1981 like this.
  6. Beast

Beast Top Contributor

Mine is extremely high, some of my tattoos were relentless agony for hours and i just sat there and hardly flinched, just find it easy to try and focus on something else. When i was younger i was similar to @MUTANT in that i would try and keep going in the gym till sometimes it got ridiculous, however i don't go there now, there's no need, it's not going to make me bigger and when your older, your wiser and you know your limits and stay injury free. Still train very hard though but smarter, just not as close to the edge i once did.

MUTANT likes this.
  7. Joshua

Joshua Moderator Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Definitely depends on the type of pain for me.

Good pain in the gym I can take quite a lot of relative to the average gym goer ( I have no doubt that my tolerance is paltry compared to some on the forum though).

Pain that I associate with injury, I stop immediately in an attempt to reduce risk and impact of damage.

I can cut myself with a scalpel, make puncture wounds to my skin or pass electric currents through mu body without particularly feeling pain per se. I feel the signals of pain but redefine them through a lens of an ulterior objective.

I frequently use various stress positions to help clear my head of unwanted intrusive thought patterns. Whilst painful in a way it is not injurious.

I dropped a DB on the tip of my finger, catching it between a DB handle and the weights rack. I found that very painful and experienced nausea and the desire to urinate. I did feel a wuss especially considering the affected area was only few cubic centimetres.

Pulled neck muscles resulting in bed rest whilst having a cold and repeatedly sneezing. Extremely painful and depressing. Again I was quite a wuss.

The pain from injury or illness especially chronic can be an unrelenting blighter whereas self inflicted pain by design can be rationalised away and reinterpreted as a different type of signal. Self hypnosis to redefine pain can be very effective IME although when one knows the cause of the pain is foolishness or negligence or one knows that the cause for the pain will not abate, it is harder to redefine pain as one "knows the truth", although there are some ameliorants that one can invoke in such cases.

J

noel, JW007, Dig and 1 other person like this.
  8. Big Bear

Big Bear Moderator Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Injury or training pain i have no problem with in fact sort of enjoy it but a cold and im pathetic

9. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    pffft what is this thing called "pain"... tis not but weakness leaving verily from the body :D

but yes, I have a fairly good pain threshold...

10. bulkaholic

bulkaholic Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    If it's pain as in tooth ache, injury etc then i find the best way is to dive right into the pain and fully experience it while remembering it's a signal and nothing more.

11. Nail

Nail Top Contributor

I don't really know. I've never had anything extremely painful happen to me that I recall. I've had a few knocks, stitches here and there.

I knocked myself out last year playing squash and broke my collar bone in the process, it was sore but not brutal or anything.

Like Joshua I caught my finger between a big feed barrow and a wall, bursting my fingernail and cutting my finger, that was probably the worst pain I've ever felt tbh but still not excruciating.

Posted using TMuscle App

12. darkside

darkside Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I think ive got quite a high pain tolerance, had quite a few injuries in my time and none of them were that painfull, I think if its a big injury though shock can take over and you feel no pain at all, thats probably why people are saying smaller injuries hurt more.
    I got both my arms trapped in a machine and they got rolled to 10mm thick and when I pulled my arms out of the machine it ripped all the skin off my hand (which resulted in about 4 operations and skin grafts) and even though my hand was hanging off there was no pain at all, ive disslocated my shoulder probably over 50 times and that isnt even that bad, I just pop it back in and carry on, I broke my foot thai boxing I did it training but still carried on and finished the session (trained for another hour) and that wasnt that bad either, I broke my elbow mountain biking I had a big crash which must have fractured my elbow but I thought it was ok, but my seat on my bike needed a bit of adjusting after so when I started pushing on it me and my brother both heard my elbow snap but not much pain at all.
    And being a welder im always getting burnt but again its not a bad pain.
    I think its just depends on how your body copes with it. And its different for everyone.

Posted using TMuscle App

13. Little Simon

Little Simon Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I'm a big pussy with zero tolerance to pain... :lol:

Jethro52185 likes this.
  14. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I disagree mate, youre living with a woman arent you... now if that doesnt show high tolerance to pain I dont know what does... :D

15. Jethro

Jethro Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I think pain effects everyone differently. Some ppl don't flinch when getting tattoos. Me, I'm desperately trying to crawl away from my artist because it hurts me so bad. Anything to do with my skin, and I'm in agony. Popping zits even hurts pretty bad.

I've broken both arms multiple times with little pain. Shattered multiple fingers and set them myself with little pain. I've even cut the tip of my thumb off and kept working to continue the project, then went to have it sewn back on. That hurt surprisingly little.

I went for some kind of skin laser session one time to try to break up all the sun spots and brown spots on my left arm. I had to leave the session halfway through because I couldn't handle the pain. As I leave, I look over and some 60 year old grandma was getting her face lasered just laughing and carrying on a conversation. Wtf. I'm just one giant pansy when it comes to my skin.

CJ and gemc1981 like this.