1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Power Rack V Half Rack

Discussion in 'General Bodybuilding' started by bailey, Dec 18, 2016.

1. bailey

bailey Full Member

I'm looking to invest in a rack for my garage. Either the cf470 half rack or 475 full rack.

Has anyone got the half rack and what's their opinion on them? Looks like a good rack which would do all I need?

Price is not a factor in deciding btw but I'm swaying towards a half rack for ease from swapping from squat / bench into deadlifts and ohp.

Any opinions on pros and cons welcome to help me decide chaps.

2. Reacher

Reacher Top Contributor

My home set up i had a half rack.
    Always thought i should of got a full rack.

3. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

Ive got a power rack. Because it was on sale at the time.

Only difference that jumps out at me (im very stoned) is maybe safety when squatting. If in power rack and topple backwards at the bottom or throw barbell off your shoulders/ back (if that makes sense) the barbell would stay in the power rack and onto safety bars. In a half rack the barbell could go backwards and miss safety bars.

Both seem to do the everything the same. I find swapping pins etc from squat to bench to dead etc all very easy.

What do you use at the moment? What have you used in the past?

4. Mr mac

Mr mac Forever dadbod Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Mate I've got both and to be honest the half rack doesn't really save you on space as chances are you will still pull deads and maybe power clean in front off the rack instead of either side of the feet of the rack.

If you measure up half and full racks often they are about the same give or take. What's the chin bar set up like on it? I'd consider that as a factor

5. Mr mac

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I do agree with raisin abou this sometimes the safety bars on half racks can be short and people often take more steps back than they think squatting for example and then you are out of the safety range of the bars as it were

6. Mr mac

Training Log:
    Click Here
    @bailey have you looked on eBay. Loads of commercial ones going. Gyms often get rid of there old racks and sell them for next to nothing. I've seen bomb proof rock solid racks that look like shit but will be more than you ever need go for £100

7. bailey

bailey Full Member

I train in a gym just now. Good point on the squating and you're right about cleans and snatches would be done well out of the rack. I've plenty room so a full rack makes sense.

I'll check eBay if not powerhouse fitness do a full rack for 380 delivered. Doesn't seam too bad a price I'll check for bargains on eBay first.

Decision made, cheers lads.

Raisin likes this.