Powerlifters should train like bodybuilders

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Fatbrah, Feb 8, 2015.

1. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

While I agree on the whole Aaron, power lifters will often simply add weight, fat, going into a comp if they are equipped. The additional volume in a suit or shirt as well as intramusculally can and does aid in lifts. If you transfers that to strongman, additional weight, be it muscle or fat can help in a multitude of events also.

That said, I'd rather look like I lift

Robbie likes this.

2. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Musclexcess Sponsored Athlete Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Logic of putting on fat to fill out a suit? Lol
    Why not just buy a smaller tighter suit?

Marius Puds proved you don't need to be fat to be strong, guy was damn lean and put all the fat fuckers to shame

Nytol and Mike In Trenning like this.
  3. Mike In Trenning

Mike In Trenning Top Contributor

I thought he was 0% bf percent one year but it was so long ago I probably remember it wrong or took it up wrong being young and impressed .. I remember the commentary said he was 100% muscle .. But can u even be 0 % bodyfat..

4. Fatbrah

Fatbrah TMuscle Fatministrator Top Contributor

yer in your coffin

5. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

Lol 3% is as low as people can go I think mate, might be mistaken but I think the body needs at least 3% 'essential bodyfat' to stay alive and still that's super-shredded, elite bodybuilder, near-death levels that few people have achieved

Mariusz in his WSM prime I'd put at 8-9%. He looked great.

As for 100% muscle mate...even if 0% bf was possible 100% muscle wouldn't be...your body's made up of other stuff like water, skin, bone, hair, organ tissues etc.

6. TwoCanVanDamn

TwoCanVanDamn Account Suspended

I doubt the commentator meant that comment literally lmao

TinyTim and Porky like this.
  7. Mike In Trenning

Mike In Trenning Top Contributor

YA I'm obviously chating shit ..sorry hold my hands up

8. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

Because a custom made suit could cost you £2k and take several weeks if not months to break in?
    I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm saying it's a reason IB. This is about guys putting up 1000kg totals. There is nothing logical about them!

Let's take a power lifter most of us will know from bigger stronger faster. Mark bell. He would intentionally eat salt bagels in the run up to a comp with handfuls of orals in order to put on masses of water to make his equipment tighter. That transferred into big ass lifts.

There is a growing trend now of power lifters becoming much leener. Ditto strongman. As for pudz, yes he was the exception to the rule at the time. However. He wasn't always the strongest. He was however one of the most intelligent, determined, never say die athletes ever as far as I'm concerned.

dee9699, LittleLiam and Dig like this.
  9. Incredible Bulk

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Marius won because he was the strongest, being intelligent helped in the way he approached lifts and heats but he was the strongest on the day or he wouldn't of been a long running wsm winner.... You don't get that from taking 3rd or 4ths every lift.

G-G likes this.
  10. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

I said he wasn't always the strongest.

11. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

Depends how you determine strongest. At the heavier weight/more static lifts such as the arnolds he never broke top 3. Savickas dominated.

Not to take anything away from pudz who was fcking immense and looked awesome with it!

12. Incredible Bulk

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Why didn't savakas beat Puds for all those years Puds won the WSM? Did savakas not compete?
    I agree that some are suited more to static lifts, ask them to carry or walk with a weight and they fold like a sack of shit lol

Dig likes this.
  13. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

Well as i said depends how you determine strongest- wsm generally wasnt as heavy so with his athleticism combined with lots of strength pudz dominated. Arnolds were heavier so pure strength won out ie savickas. Im not close to being a font of knowledge about strongman though that's just how i see it, @G-G will have a more informed opinion.

14. danny187

danny187 Top Contributor

I remember seeing Pudz pulling a truck/plane with a fucked calves, the size of his arms when gripping that rope, fuck lol

dee9699 likes this.
  15. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    The most consistent guy over all the events is who wins WSM, that is why Jon Paul, Magnus Ver, and Sven were all great strongmen, winning each even is not always needed, as long as you are exceptional at all of them.

As for the title of the thread, no, I totally disagree, and as I think someone said, should be the other way around.