Pre Workout Meal

Whatever meal I happen to eat prior to training. Generally tuna rice and veg but could be just a whey shake or could be oats and whey. Training times change due to shift pattern so I'm not so regimented. Don't think it makes a deal of difference tbh, I've not noticed one anyway.

oats and whey for me 1hr before.....

weekends chicken and rice....1/1.5hrs before

75g oats soaked overnight in 250ml of almond milk, microwave then add a teaspoon of almond butter and some bulkpowders zero calorie syrup. Washed down with 40g of whey

Atm its 1 scoop serious mass with a banana and some PB all blended up.

Or when im not feeling like a lazy bag of shit i'll have 8 eggs, bowl of cereal and some PB from the Brian Shaw eating vid

Coffee. I train first thing in the AM so all my meals are consumed after. Not the best way but its how it fits in with my work schedule etc

On a normal day I'll eat a meal about 60 - 90 minutes pre-training of around 35g protein (from chicken breast) and around 10g of fat from nuts plus some vegetables or same macros but from red meat and veg.

I generally don't have carbs pre-training as I find my workout can suffer from the sugar or glucose crash (I train for up to 90 minutes so fairly long in duration) but at the same time I don't want to go into training hungry hence the fats and vegetables - one fairly popular approach is to avoid foods like this so you're not still digesting food going into training but I don't find this an issue.

On a high carb day I'll opt for a quick digesting carb (I really rate cream of rice as already mentioned) and I'll have this about 60 minutes before training normally paired with 200ml egg whites or a fat free Greek yogurt.

Personally for me as long as I'm not in a fasted state (basically not in the latter stages of a diet) I never really feel any benefit from carbs pre workout and would much rather opt for them post training and later on in the evening when I feel my body is going to ultilise them more efficiently, simultaneously these carbs will refill glycogen stores and be used for energy for my next training session.

I have done a bit of research into carbs intra training (specifically highly branched cyclic dextrin combined with peptopro), it seems as though the jury is still out on this but I figure it's worth a try so going to introduce them soon for a 6 - 8 week period and see if I get any improvement in training and recovery. Interested to know what other peoples thoughts and experiences are with intra training carbs though.

What ever was due before gym. When dieting nothing changes. Leg day I allow myself n additional 30-40g carbs. This may be more rice or a pitta with meal or a muffin for dessert etc.

Off season as above every season.

Personally for me I can eat just about any type of food I want before training. Always about 90 mins before I train. Just depends on what time I'm training. Always train after at least 2 meals. Placebo maybe but I just perform better. If I'm dieting for show like I am now I don't wanna train early so close too morning cardio which is only 30 mins brisk walking but I wanna split these workouts apart. Fuck knows why I just seem too perform better. By that I mean heavier lifts and more reps.

As for good choices the basic 200g chicken breast with 80g uncooked white rice.

Offseason and let's say on a day off I'll maybe have my normal meal and if feeling daft I'll have big bowl of high sugar cereal about 45 mins before I train.

In past I've used Insulin at 10iu pre workout which means the whole intra workout stuff but that's a totally different crack.

I don't use my training as an excuse too for in high sugary shitty processed calories. Although I get it, why not have em near training for energy etc. Instead of 100g of sugar shit before bed let's say. Makes sense. Just know that no magic meal or sugary treat is gna take you too "the next level" it's just food. Eat clean and basic or enjoy some shite for a change. Whatever works for you guys. There's no right or wrong. Just make sure you train fucking hard no matter what you've eaten

Personally for me I can eat just about any type of food I want before training. Always about 90 mins before I train. Just depends on what time I'm training. Always train after at least 2 meals. Placebo maybe but I just perform better. If I'm dieting for show like I am now I don't wanna train early so close too morning cardio which is only 30 mins brisk walking but I wanna split these workouts apart. Fuck knows why I just seem too perform better. By that I mean heavier lifts and more reps.

As for good choices the basic 200g chicken breast with 80g uncooked white rice.

Offseason and let's say on a day off I'll maybe have my normal meal and if feeling daft I'll have big bowl of high sugar cereal about 45 mins before I train.

In past I've used Insulin at 10iu pre workout which means the whole intra workout stuff but that's a totally different crack.

I don't use my training as an excuse too for in high sugary shitty processed calories. Although I get it, why not have em near training for energy etc. Instead of 100g of sugar shit before bed let's say. Makes sense. Just know that no magic meal or sugary treat is gna take you too "the next level" it's just food. Eat clean and basic or enjoy some shite for a change. Whatever works for you guys. There's no right or wrong. Just make sure you train fucking hard no matter what you've eaten

I have the same approach regards to splitting cardio and weights and preference being to have had a few meals before weight training and cardio in as much of a fasted state as possible first thing. Only exception being a high carb/refeed day where I like to train first thing and use the extra carbs for recovery. On a high carb day I seem to have a placebo effect where I can train with a decent intensity despite not having actually taken any carbs in (even after 3 or 4 days of low carbs!).

Chicken and veg. Normally 2 hours pre.

Went through a spell of having an apple with peanut butter on. Tasty but don't thing it actually added anything to anything other than extra cals

Back