1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Protein Consumption....?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Will.Broadbent, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Will.Broadbent

Will.Broadbent

First time posting although I've been on here for about a year. I'm far from a body builder or in any kind of shape but enjoy lifting and the bodybuilding type training.

What's your take on protein consumption? How much do consume? What variable do you use to judge it?

I see a lot of people eating upwards to 350g while consuming what you'd think would be moderate/higher carbs? Is that much protein needed/be most efficient considering I've watched videos of Jay Cutler talking nutrition and he mentioned numbers for 400g a day.

2. Callum62

Callum62 Full Member

Always ate around a gram per pound of body weight roughly speaking , currently on around 250grams a day so a little over a gram at 238lbs,but guy I train with competes a lot and will be a good twenty pounds heavier on around 250 grams also.

3. TwoCanVanDamn

TwoCanVanDamn Top Contributor

350-400g a day

4. Blackers1100

Blackers1100

Around 200g per day and I weigh about 170lbs

5. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

I've always tried to eat in excess of 1.5g per lb of bodyweight. 240lbs at the moment so getting in 350g plus a day.

6. pooley1810

pooley1810 Top Contributor

General theory is 1.5g per Pound of body weight. So for me it's around the 350g mark
    But there are variables. If you are looking to build muscle then protein is usually increased, especially if you are assisted as you will metabolise more food and synthesise protein more efficiently. So the extra calories and protein will get used rather than wasted or stored as fat
    At the moment I'm on a strict diet and calories are very specific so protein is set at 325g. I'm not looking to build muscle at this stage so protein is set to ensure no muscle is lost during this phase

7. tomlet1

tomlet1 Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Depends if on PEDs or not

Big ian and AaronHudson like this.
  8. noel

noel Top Contributor

1.5g if not assisted as a rough guide max level, lot of variablds...also bare in mind unless you are curlers weight, muscle and shape copying what he does is s bit pointless....copy his dedication sure...but his sctusl macros....nah

9. doink

doink Biggest Wrists in the World Top Contributor

I probably get a g per lb on average.

Have ate 4/500g a day for periods in the past but never got any better for doing it. I just stank of ammonia whenever I trained which I suspect meant my body was converting excess aminos to glucose.

Rather have less protein and more carbs or fats nowadays.

Asrar, GM-20 and hsmann87 like this.
  10. LittleLiam

LittleLiam Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Or you went into ketosis?

11. roy@/_

roy@/_ Full Member

You wouldn't get into ketosis eating that much protein (according to lyle). To much glucose.

200g for me from complete sources which is 2g/kg or slightly under 1g/lb.

I would eat a bit more when carbs are lower but not much more. Obvs less protein from incomplete sources and more demand on protein as a fuel source in this situation.

I would challenge you 300g+ bros to drop to 200-250 and see if it makes any difference. Big expense if not required.

JANIKvonD, Swole29, GM-20 and 7 others like this.
  12. noel

noel Top Contributor

I like eating meat though :-) plus if using AAS we know we can use more....no one knows for sure how much but id always rather have too much than too little....plus protein is my favourite food type....id eat beef at every meal and I also like protein powders too (in shakes or oats) so I could dust 200g in the first part of the day easy....

agree many eat too much, but prob better to overeat protein than fats or carbs all being equal......

but common newbie approach - not eat enough, see magazines and big blokes in gym....eat as much protein as humanly possible....as that must mean huge gainz!

roy@/_ likes this.
  13. AaronHudson

AaronHudson Competitor

Low carb day: 400g (protein)
    Medium carb day: 320g (protein)
    High carb day: 315g (protein)

(Direct sources ie meat etc)

As of last week low days are no more though!

Previously higher than that though. Always felt ive grown well on higher protein intake.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  14. AaronHudson

AaronHudson Competitor

Oh and im just over 300lbs so barely 1g per lb.

15. doink

doink Biggest Wrists in the World Top Contributor

Was on too much carbs bruh.

And too much protein

Edit royal did it already

LittleLiam likes this.