Random Powerbuilding Programme

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by BigBroGhannddii, Dec 6, 2021.

1. BigBroGhannddii

BigBroGhannddii Full Member

Right, gonna give this shit a go... Not expecting miracles but any progress would be nice right now! Just finished a cycle of 450mg test so gonna do my pct and try this without any gear.
    Diet is clean, around 3000-3500kcal a day, lots of protein and carbs then just the usual pre-workout, creatine and eaa's while training.

I'm 5'10, 80.5kg and pretty lean.
    Chest - 45"
    Neck - 16"
    Shoulders - 20"
    Arms - 14.5"
    Waist - 34"
    Quads - 22.5"
    Calves - 14.5"

Current 1rm on key lifts are
    Bench - 110kg
    Squat - 150kg
    Dead - 190kg
    OH Press - 80kg

The end goal of this would be run it for 8 weeks and hopefully see a 5% improvement, if I do I'll add another 4 weeks on and go for 10% on all lifts. Gonna have a 1rm day every 4th Sunday to monitor progress. Bare with me if I forget to post but I'll try keep on top of it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Richie_Rich likes this.
  2. BigBroGhannddii

Monday training, Upper Power day.
    Trained at 5:30am after a solid 6 hours sleep (damn dog kept me awake)... Starting this at about 80-85% of my max to allow for some quicker progress at the start.

Flat bench, standard warmups
    20kg - 20 reps
    40kg - 15 reps
    60kg - 10 reps
    Workings sets
    5 sets of 5 @85kg, nice and easy

Bent over row, warmups
    20kg - 20 reps
    40kg - 10 reps
    Working sets
    5x5 @70kg, again nice and easy

Decline dumbell press
    30kg for 3 sets of 8

Lat pulldown, plate loaded
    50kg for 3 sets of 8

Strict military press
    50kg for 5x5

Skullcrushers, Ez bar
    30kg for 3 sets of 12

Alt Hammer curls
    16kg dumbells for 3 sets
    12 reps on set 1 & 2
    10 reps on set 3

Pallof press (never done this so started light to get the feel for it)
    3 sets @10kg on the cable, 8 reps each side per set.

Overall it was an easy session but that was expected with the lower weights. Definitely a bit odd with all those excersises thrown into 1 session but I'm hoping that'll shock my system a bit...

3. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

Mate an easy power building routine is Jim wendlers 531 with boring but big. That covers both in an easy basic routine

4. BigBroGhannddii

That's for pure strength training tho isn't it, I'm not after building power as that would do, Powerbuilding is combining Power lifting and Bodybuilding into 1 weekly routine. Building strength slower than you would with Wendlers 531 but still doing Hypertrophy work to allow for growth.

It's a backwards way of doing it as far as I'm concerned but I'm willing to try it out for 8 weeks or so just to mix it up a bit... I'll post progress on here just so others can see if it's worth it or if it's actually as wank as it sounds lol!

5. GolfDelta

GolfDelta Competitor

Nope 5/3/1 has assistance work in muscle building rep range after compounds mate. I used it successfully for years to build both strength and size.

mal and Mr mac like this.
  6. BigBroGhannddii

Yea I just had a good look at it, 2/3 assistance excersises but it mentioned about not going ott on them and focusing more on the key lift. If this one I'm doing now turns out to be shite ill give the Wendlers one a try after but I'm committed to this one now for better or worse haha

GolfDelta likes this.
  7. GolfDelta

GolfDelta Competitor

Yeh that’s fair enough mate, hopefully it works out well for you and if not then at least you’ll have learned from it and found out what style of training suits you :thumb:

BigBroGhannddii likes this.
  8. BigBroGhannddii

Fingers crossed aye, as much as I've enjoyed strength training over the years it's just become too boring to find any motivation for it, hence wanting to mix it up... Tbh it was either try this or get dragged into trying crossfit with the brother in-law, this won by a landslide haha

GolfDelta likes this.
  9. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

As golf delta said. The size gains come from the 5x10 assistance work.

BigBroGhannddii and Sjundea like this.
  10. BigBroGhannddii

Tuesdays workout - Lower Power Day

5 minutes on rowing machine to warm up the body a bit as it was a damn cold & wet day on site!

Low bar Squats
    Warmups
    Body weight - 2 sets of 12
    60kg for 10
    80kg for 8
    100kg for 6
    Working sets
    120kg for 5 sets of 5

Deadlifts
    70kg for 10
    100kg for 10
    120kg for 8
    Working sets
    155kg for 5 sets of 3

Front squats
    70kg for 3 sets of 6

Leg press
    175kg for 6 sets of 8

Standing calf raise
    50kg for 3 sets of 12

Leg extension
    50kg for 4 sets of 12

Big session tonight, lots of compounds! Was a pretty hard tbh, Deadlifts were meant to be 5x5 but I've found I always progress better with 5x3, that and I like my back and don't wanna kill it off after the squats... Was meant to do core but couldn't get on a decline bench or cables so I just threw the leg extension in there cause I hate myself haha thank god for a rest day tomorrow!

11. Richard Dick

Richard Dick Top Contributor

I wouldn't be doing 5 sets across of deadlifts for 5s or 3s personally. Not too big a deal at 155kg but as you get stronger at some point that'll be way too much. Especially after squats.

12. GhostOf2Can

GhostOf2Can Top Contributor

I disagree

G-G and Mr mac like this.
  13. BigBroGhannddii

Yea I'm gonna have to disagree with ya there as well mate, that's 80% of my 1rm which is an ideal weight for building strength with 5x5 or 5x3. I've been doing it for a while and it's gradually built my 1rm up, I also know alot of other people who have used the same method and seen great results...

14. Richard Dick

Richard Dick Top Contributor

Fair enough, lads. Personally if I did 5 sets of anything over like 220kg I'd be fucked. Especially after squats. I prefered working up and keeping reps the same, so going like 100kg, 140kg, 180kg, 220kg then a final top set.

15. s man

s man Moderator

I disagree to. My programming had me do 5x5 at 80% which at the time was 240. That said I didn’t do it at the same time as squats and it wasn’t weekly. I had 3x3 and different percentages as well as back off amrap’s