Round Back Stiff Leg Dead’s

Discussion in 'Training Information' started by Simon90, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Simon90

Simon90 Full Member

Even with the bar when I get to about mid shin my back starts to round at bottom, how can I fix this? What is it that needs fixing?i only noticed it today I always thought I was keeping an arch/flat back but I’m not

2. RS86

RS86 Top Contributor

Allow your knees to bend a little and make sure you allow hips to travel forward to the bar at lockout but back a little on descent.

This is a good example

Instagram Link

Or alternatively I stop short of the floor sometimes too and keep them under tension

Simon90 and Sjundea like this.
  3. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

Swede Burns queue of hips to bar.
    Keep that in mind, works for me, and also keeping chest up also works.
    I am no expert mind. But my thoughts when doing any deadlift variati9n:

1. Fix eyes on something slightly above direct eye line.
    2. Push feet through floor.
    3. Chest up.
    4. Hips to bar.

For SLDL you need to break your knees and feel your hams engage.

I only dead 250. There's other you should listen to pulling 300 plus such as @RS86 and @GhostOf2Can

Simon90 and RS86 like this.
  4. Ironman TS

Ironman TS Full Member

I tend to do Romanian Deads rather than SLDL nowadays, keep it a bit lighter and focus on working the hams.

Assuming my lower back isn’t shot to bits (as it was today :thumbdown:) I throw a couple of sets in after Trap Bar Deads.

phani tikkala and Simon90 like this.
  5. Simon90

Simon90 Full Member

Cheers for the link. I do that but it still looks rounded. Even just touching my toes my back is rounded. Poor flexibility/mobility?

RS86 likes this.
  6. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

Try sitting your arse back more.
    I was pulling all with my back and @G-G and @GhostOf2Can told me to sit my arse back more and keep my shins more vertical and after some practise it's a much better movement.

Pulling with back

Instagram Link

Initiating drive with legs

Instagram Link

Mr mac and Simon90 like this.
  7. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

With stiff legs there’s no need to get the bar to the floor. Even just below knee level can be more than sufficient, it’s about engaging the hamstrings not range of movement.

think about pushing your arse back as far as possible rather than lowering the bar. You’ll feel it more in your hams instantly.

8. Simon90

Simon90 Full Member

I never knew that mate always thought you had to go low. That’s interesting because when I get to below knee is where I feel tension the most. When I go lower I feel it more lower back

9. Ironman TS

Ironman TS Full Member

This is a Romanian Deadlift mate. Far more focus on the hamstrings.

Simon90 likes this.
  10. GhostOf2Can

GhostOf2Can Top Contributor

Sounds like a tightness issue somewhere to me tbh

Do Rdl’s instead like some others have recommended

Simon90 and Ironman TS like this.
  11. godsgifttoearth

godsgifttoearth Full Member

Usually need to work on flexibility. Straight legs with a pure hip hinge is maximally lengthening the hams, so they will limit rom the most. Bending knees and making more RDL shortens the hams via the knee, giving more ROM around the hips, so RDLs might be better.

Also, I tend to find some thoracic rounding isn't a big deal in a strong and trained athlete, its lumbar rounding that tends to break people. So if its only thoracic you're getting and there's no pops, pain etc, its probably not a big deal.

RS86 likes this.
  12. RS86

RS86 Top Contributor

Add to that it's more about maintaining spinal positioning, so even if there is some thoracic rounding as long as you are able to maintain that and not allow any more spinal flexion or change in shape you're likely fine. Shearing and pressure are an issue when the spine is changing shape under load

godsgifttoearth likes this.
  13. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

It was best described to me years ago imagine a bow and arrow and your arse is the string bit that gets pulled back and pulls you into a V shape slightly. Or other option try it with dumbbells as they will be at your sides more than in front like a bar. Might help