Smart Protein Optimum Whey - Vanilla

Discussion in 'Supplement Reviews' started by Nytol, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

I've been using unflavoured protein for some time now, as despite it being a billion $ industry and whey protein not having any nasty taste to cover up, unlike BCAA's for example, protein shakes still generally taste like shit.

And even if they taste OK going down, they have a nasty after taste :sad:

Being the winner of the Member of the Month comp :thumb:, I got the offer of a free bag, which I gratefully accepted, choosing Vanilla as I could then compare it to other companies, as I'll always go for the vanilla first.

I was not expecting much, after my last flavoured order from MP ended up being reserved for mixing into oats or yoghurt due to the nasty after taste, which I honesty can't understand, as I occasionally use sucralose at home and there is no after taste, I drink unflavoured whey and there is no after taste, so what is going on???

When it arrived I mixed up 60g in about 400ml of water, gave it a quick shake, and drank.

It mixed instantly, no lumps, which I'd expect, as pretty much all proteins are like this now.

No frothing, the one thing I hate more than anything, letting a shake sit for half an hour to setting, or ending up with a belly full of gas, are both on my list of dislikes.

And it tasted good! Really good actually, good enough that it was actually a pleasure to drink, rather than just down for the protein content.

I've not actually gotten around to looking at their website yet, but if they do an unflavoured I'll likely order from there in the future, as well as getting more vanilla, (I like the unflavoured right after training when I often feel a bit nauseous).

They also used DPD as a courier, who are by far the best, and one of the reasons I often use Bulk Powders, (I think they are a good company too), but waiting in for a delivery just won't happen, so being able to tell DPD to leave it in the garage or somewhere on the website if fantastic and it pisses me off that other companies don't do this, making me either wait in or drive to a depot miles from my house.

I have to rate this a 5/5, and as I'd already got it for free, have no reason to be nice, so an honest review :D

2. jj1981

jj1981 Competitor

My fav place for protein , the choc is amazing with milk , also loved the vanilla too.

Smart Protein likes this.
  3. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

The last time I tasted a decent chocolate was from The Protein Factory in the US, probably 15yrs ago now, no idea if they are still about?

But it was just whey and cocoa, with some sweetener, and tasted great, as it was actually chocolate without any crap added.

I knew a guy in the US Airforce stationed over here, and he could get stuff sent from the US to the UK as if it was being sent within the US, so little to no shipping cost and no customs duty :D

But I will get a chocolate, and blame you if it is shit ;)

Smart Protein and jj1981 like this.
  4. jj1981

jj1981 Competitor

Lol youll love it. I put ice in mine :)

Nytol likes this.
  5. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

Great review.

Heard nothing but good things about smart protein.

Smart Protein likes this.
  6. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Their 'Diet Protein' with added carbs seems a bit odd?

The whole 'Diet Whey' marketing thing, not just SP, but lots of companies reeks of bullshit, as far as I know, whey protein is not a product in need of a 'Diet' version?

Tommy6 likes this.
  7. Smart Protein

Smart Protein Full Member

Appreciate what you are saying but the Diet isn't aimed at trainers like yourself. It has a bit of added carb and fiber to make it more of a filling snack for the more mainstream trainer who is looking for a healthier alternative to a bag of crisps or chocolate bar.

Nytol likes this.
  8. Smart Protein

Awesome feedback thanks, glad you liked the product and service. We focussed on nailing all the basics rather than offering 30 different flavours which seems to be paying off. Just let me know if you need anything.

Nytol likes this.
  9. Smart Protein

Let me know if you want a sample - happy to post one to you

Nytol likes this.
  10. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

So more a snack replacement than a protein?

I think it would probably do better marketed as such?

But that makes sense now you have explained it.

I said exactly the same thing to Simon earlier, that I'd rather a company with 4 great flavours, than one with 15 that taste like crap and certainly nothing like the description on the label.

I personally like to use an unflavoured whey right after training when I often feel a bit nauseous, if you were to add one of those I'd buy it from you.

I'm assuming your BCAA apple and lime are similar to MP apple and lime, which I use, as I can't drink that nasty shit on its own :sad:

So I'd order that too when I run out.

Cissus is something I get from MP too, one of the few supplements that has a profound effect on me.

I'd love a sample, thank you.

I'm a big fan of chocolate, but as I said above, I'm almost always massively disappointed by something bearing no resemblance, apart from its brown colour.

Keep up the good work, I really like your philosophy on things.

-Matt

11. Redwing

Redwing Muscle Supermarket Rep & Money Saving Expert!

Ive had the Strawberry I think they have the flavour spot on its lovely.

12. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

I gave some to my daughter this morning, who is quite fussy when it comes to food, not in a bad way, but I'm a good cook, so she has been raised on good tasting things.

She liked it, which is the only protein powder she has liked except for Powerbek, and although Powerbek tasted great, it was inconsistent with flavours and texture, leading me to lose faith in their quality control.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    jj1981 likes this.
  13. jj1981

jj1981 Competitor

How did you like the choc ?

14. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Didn't get any :sad:

They just teased me with the offer :)

15. jj1981

jj1981 Competitor

Oh i thought they were giving you a sample.

@SmartProtein sort the guy out :)