1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Steady State Cardio S*** For Fatloss??

Discussion in 'General Bodybuilding' started by Mr mac, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    heres why I ask.
    4 months ago we adopted a new dog who is from the hound breed. This bugger needs some serious daily exercise. I take him for at least an hour in the morning then anywhere between 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon. And this is often over moorland and hilly terrain so get a bit of a sweat on.
    Now I haven't really changed diet and don't eat more than I was 4 months ago so all things being equal this extra cardio should have stripped fat off me?? Well I look pretty much the same. Even if you go low end of the scale and base each day as me burning 300 cals total extra for the two walks that should equal at least half a pound of fatloss per week which should be at min according to books about 10lb fatloss for 4 months of owning him. But I've not. Weight is pretty much static.

So steady state....load of bollocks or does it actually work?
    Thoughts.

2. DC1

DC1 Myprotein Rep

Fat loss really comes down to calories in v calories out.

Walking doesn't burn a massive amount unless you're really going for it. I do around 30mins per day at 6mph and 10% incline and even then only burn around 300cals (roughly). One bar of chocolate and that's gone!

The body will also adapt quite quickly and you'll burn less over time as it adapts.

Mr mac likes this.
  3. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    How fast do you walk?
    You need to walk pretty fast, like too out of breath to talk fast.

Mr mac and Sjundea like this.
  4. Mr mac

Training Log:
    Click Here
    But that's what I mean cals in technically the same so even if walking is low burning say 2-300 per day technically according to books and science you should still burn 1/2lb or so a week as I said. But this isn't the real world case here with me. So my thinking is steady state is crap. For me anyway

5. Mr mac

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I don't think you do for steady state. I probably walk about 3mph. Your looking at a heart rate of what 120-140 tops for steady state?

6. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

I used to do incline 20, speed 7.5 for 60mins every morning when cutting, was very effective.

Whilst I appreciate there is science behind all the different options, I do believe that calories in less than calories out is the key (obviously). How you choose to burn calories is personal preference.

I think for a larger guy walking may be more beneficial than sprinting (HIIT) as its less pressure on joints.

Reacher likes this.
  7. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

This, it should be possible to chat, but not be as easy as if just simply walking... Is my understanding.

8. Mr mac

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Ok but from what I can picture that's quite intense cardio based at those levels correct ? And therefore not the steady state cardio that I'm talking about. Or when people say steady state it's actually at a much more intense level than they thought to get the result?

9. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

This, it should be possible to chat, but not be as easy as if just simply walking...
    I started at a slower speed and lower incline. as you get fitter/lighter and stamina increases, up the speed.

I would class incline walking as steady state... I wasn't jogging which I would class as more medium intensity...

Mr mac likes this.
  10. xjpx

xjpx Cardiff Sports Nutrition Rep

If you aren't dropping fat , you aren't in a deficit.
    That small stint of steady state is a v small factor in your overall net energy balance. How much your altering your general activity for the remaining hours of the day will play a huge role in your fat loss.

So in answer to your question, steady state is a fine tool for fat loss, as is reducing your caloric intake , as is increasing your training volume and intensity. As is ensuring your not sedentary all day or altering your levels of being active/ sedentary outside your cardio.

The real world scenario is people don't control all variables , so then don't drop fat

jtf1, Simon, Dig and 7 others like this.
  11. Mr mac

Training Log:
    Click Here
    So in your opinion mate unless you change the other parts as well (diet etc) then steady state purely on its own even daily has neglible dent on fatloss ?

12. Mr mac

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Or @xjpx i should have explained it better that after the very initial portion of steady state the body very quickly adapts to it and pretty much doesn't have an impact as a solo thing

13. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

If your maintenance is 2000 cals (hypothetically) and you burn 500cals doing steady state, there is your deficit and weight loss over time.

14. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I can cover about 5k easily under an hour.
    Hoody soaked etc, feel fucked after. Can induce doms if lots of hills.
    Even walking with mrs and pram we seem to blow past everyone else.

Get mapmyrun or some kind of logging app.

15. Fatbrah

Fatbrah TMuscle Fatministrator Top Contributor

Why dya think @RACK 's a fat cunt
    Hes been countin walks with his dog as cardio since day dot

doink, Porky, Daz1 and 4 others like this.