1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Stupidity In The Gym!

Discussion in 'General Bodybuilding' started by Con, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Con

Con Moderator

We approach the NY so stupidity in gyms will only increase!
    Lets hear some of your stories of where you have seen really stupid shit or even if you would like to share some stupid shit you have done your self?

I will kick it off.
    I have this kid in his early 20's in my gym. A little douche is how my wife describes him. Wears all the fancy clothes and comes in for 2-3 hours each day. Tries to give every one advice yet has zero muscle. So I did what I do for many members and had him join in on a workout. 1 set of pulldowns 2 sets of chest supported rows to failure and he lay in the pissing rain outside for 10 minutes (why he didn't just stay in the bathroom after he puked is still beyond me).

Ok so hopefully he learned a lesson that he didn't train hard or take his sets to failure (trust me no forced reps just straight sets 12-15 reps to failure did this!). Nope next week he was back to doing 30 minutes of one arm pushdowns (i was cleaning and I timed how long he did this crap for). Next week he tried inviting a friend from out of town into my workout saying "make this guy puke!" as if that's what i live my life around lol trying to make kids puke! I said "no bro it was a one time thing for you just like I do for any member that wants if you want to do PT for you and him you can pay me" he was totally shocked as I guess he thought he was in my inner circle of training partners now (even though he stopped the workout 3 out of 20 sets in lol).

So he brings this kid in. Very nice farmer style chubby guy (probably on a lash of dbol too but that's besides the point). He literally loaded the weights for this kid and then tried to make eye contact with all the other members basically saying "look at how hardcore I am because my friend can do this". Any ways this farmer kid squats 6 plates with wraps it was obviously a total max I told him "awesome job". But then the scrawny runt basically bullied this farmer kid (who didn't seem the brightest tbh but very nice!) into trying 6.5 plates. I sent a couple guys over to spot him. Needless to say it ended up in one spotter tearing his forearm and thankfully the farmer kid wasn't too badly hurt. All because the little douche was trying to show off through his friend?!

Seen one member unload 7 plates off the hack squat leaving 7 plates on the otherside. Hack squat flipped over!

Got the usual "been lifting for 30 years but can't even do a pull down correctly" guys who always say "lets see you do this at my age" lol.

The one that annoyed the most was this kid who is all into westside pling doing squats. He set the safety supports literally 8 inches off the ground. Did wide sumo squats, dumped the bar, bar hits pins, $400 texas power bar is bent!!! I knew the kid had no money and we all make mistakes so I just told him never do that shit again! 2 months later he did it again bent another bar! I gave him options to leave the gym or pay for the bar. He left the gym. Best part was I gave him a discounted membership, so he paid the gym over 3 months about $100 and cost the gym $800!

BTS93, Fatbrah and TwoCanVanDamn like this.

2. Jordan1992

Jordan1992 Full Member

When I was younger I smoked weed as you do, went to the gym baked as fuck training chest went to sit down with a pair of 25kg DBs to press and missed bench and wiped myself out

Daz1, Swole29, Sjundea and 3 others like this.
  3. TwoCanVanDamn

TwoCanVanDamn Account Suspended

Seen my brother in law pull 4 20's off one side of the bar after squats and it flipped over where the other four plates had been left on and they fell off and crushed some kids foot

Offered to spot a lad few weeks back on the bench but he said no it's light and then he ripped his pec completely off the tendon on the third rep and then the bar fell back and was sat on his teeth. Had to lift it off him

Second one is just bravado gone a bit too far but the first one is basically my brother in law being a fucking mong

Rick@OlympusHealth and Con like this.
  4. Con

Con Moderator

Last Christmas I had two kids come in totally stoned.
    The whole gym knew it and snickered at how silly they were acting.
    So I told them "do you lift the weights or are the weights lifting away from you?"....total mind blown the kids were discussing it for ten minutes PMSL needless to say they never came in stoned again!

5. Con

Con Moderator

Had a kid benching a couple weeks ago, obviously going very heavy with poor form.
    I asked him if he would like a spot, he declined.
    5 minutes later I upright rowed about 230lb off his chest....after letting him stay under it for about 30 seconds longer than was needed.
    Little dick!

6. TBLifter

TBLifter Top Contributor

Seen a guy wrap up his knees tight AF like he was going to bust a record and then go under a plate aside on squat...

I attempted after encouragement to join an oly work out... clean and jerk 220lbs no idea what happened but managed to knock my self over and have bar roll behind me.

Greyphantom likes this.
  7. Rick@OlympusHealth

Rick@OlympusHealth CEO @ Olympus Health

There's a polish guy in my gym -- fucking massive --not 'muscle' massive, but obviously has a touch of acromegaly (protruding brow, huge hands, 6ft 7 or so).

His nut hugging mates act like he's Pudzian, but the fucker loads plates and plates on everything then does quarter reps every single time.

A few weeks ago he jumped in with me in the bench, I helped him take 180 out and he insisted on a thumbless grip. It went down fast, past his usual 3inch rom and slipped out of his hand, bouncing off his rib cage.

His mates are all blaming me for 'not spotting him' correctly, but how was I to know he wouldn't even get the eccentric portion of 1 rep, when everyone was acting like he was Kazmaier. I told him he should put his thumbs over, too, and he laughed at me.

8. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science Top Contributor

Stopped paying attention years ago tbh.

See all sorts dont you. Past the point id even step in or say anything. I just have to occasional chuckle to myself.

9. JustJ

JustJ Competitor

Just seen a guy use wrist straps for close grip bench on smith. Mind = blown

TinyTim likes this.
  10. Stephen9069

Stephen9069 Full Member

My father in law went to pull a 20kg plate off of one side of the smith machine but wasnt paying attention to the 1.25kg plate sitting in front of it lol, it fell from about shoulder height (6ft) right onto his toes.

TinyTim likes this.
  11. Galaxy

Galaxy Formerly Gal Top Contributor

Newbies paying 5euro for a shitty protein bar made from soya!!

hsmann87 and Robbie like this.
  12. _cam

_cam Full Member

IMG_0559.PNG We've got this guy - think he's a champion arm wrestler where he comes from, or so he says, weird little guy but nice enough just very strange - hangs upside down on the smith n just hangs for a few mins, screams when the Gym musics too loud and asks it to be turned off

Fatbrah likes this.
  13. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Musclexcess Sponsored Athlete Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    hanging upside down is great for the spine if you have been lifting heavy with weight on your shoulders.
    decompressing the spine IIRC?

franco used to do a lot of it

[​IMG]

Robbie and G-G like this.
  14. Galaxy

Galaxy Formerly Gal Top Contributor

Inversion tables are for that iirc?

15. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

In my old place I would hang upside down from heavy bands hung from the power rack. Used to get some right looks