Style of Dieting for Fat Loss: What Works for You?

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Con, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Con

Con Moderator

With so many methods of dieting ranging from the Ketogenic diet to the Paleo diet, there are many different preferences to stripping off the fat. Let the board know which you find best.

Floydy likes this.

2. Hilly

Hilly Nutritionist and Sports Therapist Moderator

Quick on and i may add more detail later.

I tried a keto diet more Dave P style and found the first 6-8 weeks great. However i seemed to hit a wall at the 8 week mark and felt rubbish and got pretty ill. I know i have spoke to a few people who seem to find this also. For me the no carb approach should be used in bursts of around 2/3 weeks at certain points in a diet or for primes before specific gaining approaches.

I had good success with a high protein, mod carb and very low fat diet. I found a balance meal plan which i just ate every day with a little change in carb sources here and their to work very well. I just increased cardio then supps as i progressed and found this worked great.

Something i want to add is i feel far to many people over indulge and have massive cheat periods/days when they are still fat and the body doesnt need them. IMO if you over 13-15% body fat then you should allow ureself a meal once every 2 weeks. Once you have been dieting for a certain period of time and ure body fat drops sub 10% i feel higher calories periods become more useful here.

Armz, smallfry, O.T and 2 others like this.
  3. Dom

Dom Moderator Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    when i diet i find reducing carbs works well. when dieting i tend to have carbs first thing after morning cardio and then a carb meal in the evenin probably containing around 60g carbs. on training days ill have carbs first thing, carbs in my pwo shake and tehn carbs in my pwo meal. all other meals will be protein and fat. i tend to keep calories roughly the same and up the cardio as when i reduce calories i loose strength, whereas when i keep calories higher and do more cardio i find my strength holds/increases. probably psychological but it works for me which is the key

4. Lou

Lou Competitor

Dieting, I am constantly having to watch what I eat its almost as if I am never OFF a diet. However I have tried two methods of dieting for contest prep, keto and carb cycling, both have their pros and cons.

On the Keto diet I did well the fat was duly stripped however I was left feeling less than ideal and with a bloated and poorly tummy which did nothing for on stage aesthetics. The diet option was my choice not one I will be making again

Last year I did carb cycling and found this to be be the way forward for me. I felt well and on the whole looked good on stage no bloated tummy and in very good condition considering I lost a total of 20kg. Though the last 10 days was a little touch and go and wasn't sure if I would make to the stage however my brilliant trainer tweeked the diet added a little more work and all was good. Resulting in a comprehensive win at the Stars.

Onwards and upwards to the brits now :)

Simon, RS, MUTANT and 3 others like this.
  5. Con

Con Moderator

Superb post Lou!

I have tried many styles of dieting and tbh my diet is aimed at fat loss and lean gains at nearly all times.
    I am not big into the "bulking" diets.

Currently i eat low calorie for 3 days (300 protein 50 carb 60 fat) then i carb load on day 4.
    I carb load every 4 days because currently i am in the mountains skiing every day and deplete very rapidly.
    When i get to my new job in April i will not be doing as much cardio and it will change again.

6. d4ead

d4ead Banned

i dont diet... shows doesnt it

i keep a regular almost cleanish diet all the time.. I genuinely struggle to eat what i need to and on the odd occasion i do feel hungry it tends to go wrong.

7. Dtlv

Dtlv Moderator Moderator

I don't like cut/bulk cycles prefering to stay fairly lean all year round keeping mostly between 9 and 12% b/fat. This means for me cutting is something I'm only faced with for relatively short periods of time so never need to do anything too radical.

Have never competed or cut right down to competetive condition though, so am not great at advising what to do beyond my own lowest b/fat level of around 8%.

Have tried keto and low carb non keto and found those diets too appetite and mood supressing for me. I also struggle with maintaining strength endurance on all-out exercise when carb intake is low. For these reasons I respond better to a gradual cut with only a slight gradual reduction in food intake accompanied by a gradual increase in exercise.

Macros don't change for me, staying at around 50/30/20 C/P/F. I am well aware that this doesn't work for everyone, but I seem to tolerate carbs very well, and don't struggle to lose fat at all even when eating a lot of them provided I'm in an overall calorie deficit.

DaPump likes this.
  8. d4ead

d4ead Banned

diet for me is defo the area i need to improve most...

9. craftybutcher

craftybutcher Slimming World Champ 2002 Full Member

Same here. I tried a porridge morning, chicken and veg lunch and reasonable meal in the evening but I just can't get rid of my fat. I cannot afford most diets so try to change them to suit me but I think this is where it goes wrong. :)

10. Robbyg

Robbyg Full Member

I seem to diet better on CKD diets than any other seem to drop bf more. Its a great diet which i do enjoy doing lol esp the carb up hehe

11. CJ

CJ Top Contributor

I desperately need to sort my diet out, its so all over the place.

I'm no fat bastard but I would love to get to around 9% BF and stay around that figure, the truth is I've never really took the time to work a diet plan out.

As vain as it seems, I want to have a six pack for the summer for the first time in my life and have been considering paying someone to sort my diet / cardio requirements out to get where I need to be

12. rdfp22

rdfp22 Full Member

Keto definitely works best for me, have had great results both times I've tried it. The only drawbacks for me are the halitosis and general ketone smell that you develop after a while! Thanks must go to Con actually for recommending the Keto diet to me in the first place.

MUTANT likes this.
  13. 1Tonne

1Tonne Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I'm on keto at the moment and seem to be gettin some good results. Never dieted before in any real manor so impossible to compare styles. If I needed to do it again then would prob try a CHO around workouts and pro / fat for remainder of day. But hopefully I never get fat enoughto need to diet again.

Unless I attempt a show in 5 yes lol, in which case we'll see.

14. The Red Meat Kid

The Red Meat Kid Top Contributor

Haven't much experience in dieting but on the few occasions i did give it a shot i tried carb cycling.. dropped BF easy enough on it.

Fancy trying keto nearer summer though when finished bulking

15. d4ead

d4ead Banned

T3 eph hghrp6 meta