1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Testosterone Levels?

Discussion in 'General Bodybuilding' started by Mervio, May 14, 2019.

1. Mervio

Mervio

Hello folks,
    I'm a first time poster, so please be gentle.

I'm 47 years old, always been averagely fit but have let myself go a bit in my forties. Four years ago I ruptured an Achilles tendon and put on a bit of weight. Cut to the chase, I didn't want my daughter's to end up with a fat dad so two years ago this month I laid out hundreds of pounds for a decent home gym.

Over the last two years I've seen strength gains I've been happy with. Now, I've never done strength training ever before in my life until I was 45. I've got very much in to my gym, enjoy it, try to study it, have learned about the value of correct nutrition and to train right in unison with it.

I don't break any records for middle-aged lifters. For example, my 1 Rep Max's are:
    Deadlift - 131kg
    Squat - 127kg
    Bench - 89kg
    But after 24 months I'm happy with my progress, feel stronger, more confident, my posture has improved considerably and I'm still making progress and gains in my PB's.

I eat five times a day; I'm meticulous about my macros, hit my protein levels. Have been in a calorie surplus lately to try and gain some mass.

However, when it comes to my measurements, despite being leaner, I have made almost no gains whatsoever over the 2 years. I'm not disheartened because this fitness regime is doing me immeasurable good but I do feel somewhat put back that I have very little to see for the hundreds of hours I've put in, 4 or 5 times a week.

What I'm getting at is, does anyone think that because of my age creeping towards 50, could I be held back by regressing testosterone levels? And if so, does anyone have any advice about combatting this?

Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong? I've tried to read more and more and become educated about something I've dedicated myself to. Has anyone of a similar age got any advice please?

All the best,
    Mark

2. tomlet1

tomlet1 Mr Glass Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    No one can say whether testosterone levels are limiting your progress without a blood test.

No doubt, due to your age, they will be lower than they were for YOU in YOUR 20s, but not for certain that they will be low medically speaking.

Always makes me laugh people say to younger guys 'your 18 you've got plenty natural test', well in fact, the only true statement is that their testosterone is the highest it will ever be for THEM at that moment, doesn't mean it's actually high.

I guess what I'm saying is, age related testosterone decline can and may have limiting effects on progress, but I'd make sure all other aspects are on point first (not saying they're not btw), whilst also speaking to your GP or private clinic about an age related testosterone check.

Also, unless your willing to do steroids (wouldn't bother), or have medically low Test that they will prescribe trt for, nothing you can do about your age related low test if it falls 'in range' apart from bullshit wank supps.

Omlette approved

Gav, Greedy Ben, Mr mac and 2 others like this.