The future motoring?

I won't even go into the lies about modern cars being more fuel efficient.....both mine and my bloke's cars are old, inefficient and thirsty. Both do about 35mpg on a decent run (ie not around town lol)

Have rented two cars in the last few weeks, through work. First one averaged 27mpg, the second 34mpg - both runs were 200 miles of mostly motorways and main roads ffs!

I won't even go into the lies about modern cars being more fuel efficient.....

Depends on how you drive more than the car i find. I did a trip from Newcastle to Leeds and got 58Mpg, on the way back i was being a bit of a dick and only got 30mpg

Depends on how you drive more than the car i find. I did a trip from Newcastle to Leeds and got 58Mpg, on the way back i was being a bit of a dick and only got 30mpg

More carefully than I drive my own because modern cars are so unfamiliar to me!!! :lol:

I hate it and I've got a company car where most of my fuel is covered by the comp.

I drive a 09' Golf TDI and it's blimmin great on fuel though. On a bad day of driving around towns I get 45mpg and on a run I often see +60mpg.

It is very dull though!

Fuel efficient driving could save us a small FORTUNE but man alive its boring......

I wish l could do it TBH but l cane everything l drive for some stupid reason....

Bit of perspective:

Until the last 2 years or so, motoring has actually been cheaper than ever before in real terms. Incomes have risen far faster than the price of cars, insurance, servicing and repairs. (Older cars were far less reliable.)

That's why so many people, even with relatively low incomes, have cars these days, and why there are so many cars on the roads.

Today's cars' engines are more fuel efficient, but also more powerful and the cars are heavier through more luxurious specs and safety engineering, so the mpg is roughly the same.

Even if we soon burn non-polluting hydrogen fuels, energy will be needed to make them: at our current rate of consumption renewable energy sources would be nowhere near sufficient and oil or nuclear power would be needed.

Britain could eventually use wind and wave power to some extent; solar power is a candidate, but that will leave energy control in hot countries' hands.

The way fuel figures for cars is calculated has changed over the years.
also the way emissions are calculated has changed,all part of the con

Bit of perspective:

Until the last 2 years or so, motoring has actually been cheaper than ever before in real terms. Incomes have risen far faster than the price of cars, insurance, servicing and repairs. (Older cars were far less reliable.)

That's why so many people, even with relatively low incomes, have cars these days, and why there are so many cars on the roads.

Today's cars' engines are more fuel efficient, but also more powerful and the cars are heavier through more luxurious specs and safety engineering, so the mpg is roughly the same.

Even if we soon burn non-polluting hydrogen fuels, energy will be needed to make them: at our current rate of consumption renewable energy sources would be nowhere near sufficient and oil or nuclear power would be needed.

Britain could eventually use wind and wave power to some extent; solar power is a candidate, but that will leave energy control in hot countries' hands.

Nuclear power is the way forward prodiver

Only cos they pay my wages lol

Fuel efficient driving could save us a small FORTUNE but man alive its boring......

I wish l could do it TBH but l cane everything l drive for some stupid reason....

It's the man thing aint you gotta love the power & speed

I get just under 40 to the gallon in my caddy. Doing about £7.50 pd in fuel. Cost me £7.50 to fill a jerry can yesterday, was shocked/disgusted beyond belief.
Think like 60% is tax, Do not know why it is so high.

Am looking into making my own bio diesel soon.

i tend not to look at the price of fuel when i fill up, for the simple reason if it was 5 pound a litre i would still use it. it does cripple me, but i know i'm not gonna stop using my car and start walking so i try not to get angry about it.

Had a astra vxr which liked the juice now got an astra diesel bit better on fuel but still felt raped of my hard earned cash the other day at the petrol station. then a guy in a evo pulls up next to me thought he was gonna burst in to tears as he was filling up its gotta hurt your pocket running a car like that these days :sad:

Back