Time To Grow.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by James.Carnell, Nov 26, 2018.

1. James.Carnell

James.Carnell Full Member

I am currently on the Lyle McDonald generic bulking routine.

I train four days a week with my goals being mass and strength gains over time. I have incremental targets (e.g. my current one is to address my deadlift and get to 180kg for reps). I also have long term overall goals: get as big and strong as possible and minimize fat gain by having a sensible diet and cardio routine.

My current stats:
    77.5kg Bench Press 3x8
    130kg Squat 3x6
    150kg Deadlift 1x5 (needs work, bad form so can't progress until I fix that)

Short-medium term goals:
    90kg Bench Press 3x8
    140kg Squat 3x6
    165kg+ Deadlift 1x5

Diet: I need to eat more. In general I find the lifting in the gym a lot more enjoyable than the meal preparations.
    Sometimes I miss meals, and I don't get enough sleep. So, this is definitely something that can change. I will read some other logs and see how people spread the meals.

Recovery: Happy to learn about general ways in which experienced lifters recover e.g. stretches, ice baths, etc.

2. James.Carnell

Good leg session yesterday evening. As suggested in my feedback on the other threads, I clenched my arse and pushed with the hamstrings more engaged. It made the 150kg deadlift set feel a lot smoother than last time because I was lifting the weight with more drive off the floor. Also with the better warmup I felt more ready. I could have got more reps but used this set as practice for form improvements, I will recover well and try again next week.

I started with sets of 75kg, 100kg, 120kg for warmup and form work. All at 5 reps.

Leg press:
    200kg 10 reps
    200kg 10 reps
    200kg 10 reps
    All felt easy, was focusing heavily on contraction of the muscle and doing slow controlled reps.

Some sets of calf raises which I only begun doing a few weeks back.

Leg curls: 38.5kg 12
    31.5kg 12
    31.5kg 12
    Straightforward, did 45kg for 12 reps last week but at this point I was pretty tired.

3. Robbie

Robbie Top Contributor

Shouldn’t you be doing 6-8 for deadlifts?

4. James.Carnell

Yeah, I set aside this week as advised on my previous feedback to work on getting the movement right.

Usually I stick to 6 reps of a max set to lower the chance of injury (I've injured my lower back before and had to take time out). It was also important to make sure I addressed the form problem to avoid re-injury.

Lower back has been fine at the moment, no problems at all in terms of injury.

5. James.Carnell

Some info:

I have been using the BulkPowders complete lean mass and it's working to get the calories in. It's made with whey, milk & egg white, and oats. I usually have it with 500ml of milk, very mixable. 583 calories (52g protein) with one serving (with the 500ml milk).

I also recommend an app called RepCount, it allows you to track workouts, write notes etc, and it has a graph of your progression over time on each lift.

6. FATBOY

FATBOY Age is just a number Competitor

apart from the drink what's your daily food intake

7. James.Carnell

3000 calories is my daily target and sometimes I miss it, the drink should make it easier. Maintenance is around 2600, I weigh 175 pounds.

I like protein on every meal. Lamb, Beef mince, etc, with whole wheat pasta or sweet potato. Tbh I am just going to cook everything on a Sunday and stuff it in tupperware. It's not the lifting I find that difficult, it's the meals which is easily addressed if I am organised and spread meals throughout the day.

8. Robbie

Robbie Top Contributor

I wouldn’t eat something cooked on a Sunday past Thursday at the very latest

9. James.Carnell

Could put in the freezer and then defrost. Do that every week on Sunday and then sorted..

10. s man

s man Full Member

Slow yourself down on those deads. You seem to be in a real rush to complete the rep and your legs/body is not locked out at the top before you're already on the way back down. Although it's a weird ass dead maybe take a look at a video of how Brian Shaw approaches the bar. Don't follow his hand or leg width but I know when I was trying to improve how I set up I took some keys on the way he sits back before starting the movement and it helped a lot to stay solid in the whole movement as you seem a little loose. I'm sure someone already said this but present to the bar, sit back, plant your feet then take the weight out of the bar and lock your muscles with that weight before the lift so you have a solid base. This will help you control the movement because right now you look really wobbly.

James.Carnell and huntingground like this.
  11. s man

s man Full Member

Here you go matey this is as good an example with queues. Go to 4.30 in the video. Note how he sits back, chest more out and he locks himself in with the weight on the bar so once he commences the lift he is not pulling at the weight but rather commencing it from a solid starting point in a smooth transition from dead.

James.Carnell likes this.
  12. James.Carnell

Cheers mate will work on these points next deadlift workout.

13. James.Carnell

Well hit the 150kg Deadlift for 6 reps yesterday, the weight itself felt fine. Form was not great on the last rep, still a little bit of work to do. I am not going to add weight at this point until form is perfected. Btw, the suggestion to pull the slack out of the bar first was great, felt more stable and the lift felt easier.

I feel like this deadlifter here is very similar to my height and the way he sets up and engages the bar is what would work for me. He pulls the slack off, drives with the heels, there is no rounding at all. I think because of his proportions it's more effective he sets up that way.

When I look at this I notice that for every rep he keeps his head/eye position looking forward always when he goes to pick up the weight and that keeps the spine neutral on setup. Of course with chest up. When I got fatigued on the last rep or two this, this is what caused the back rounding (and also not driving enough with hams and glutes), which was not the case in the first four reps when I looked forward at the same spot on the wall. So yeah, I have to remember this basic point.

ps. interesting that ed coan also mentions in his video to adapt the head position according to the deck of cards you're given, and that the small changes like this make a lot of difference.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  14. James.Carnell

Squats today, very happy. Managed 135kg for 8 reps. The adrenaline rush from that was incredible, nearly did not make the last rep then managed to power through it.

Greedy Ben likes this.