Time Under Tension (tut)

Discussion in 'Training Information' started by Brian Multigym, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Brian Multigym

Brian Multigym Full Body Routine. Full Member

Train slow to boost your growth.

The weights on the bar aren't everything. Mastering the "time under tension" lifting method will help you smash through plateaus to unlock new muscle. Perfect your form and you'll add new muscle in weeks.

Why it works.

Upping your time under tension (TUT) will fast track your gains. The heavy science:-

Mind to muscle - During slow eccentrics and partial reps, you can vividly feel the targeted muscles working. The improved connection between your mind and muscles carries over well when it comes to lifting.

Damage limitation - In contrast to heavy sets, the lighter weights used in TUT methods, such as drop sets, cause less joint damage yet still builds muscle. You'll be able to recover more quickly between your sessions.

Faultless form - Because you're concentrating on controlling the weight, you're better able to focus on your technique. Enhancing your lifting form leads to improved muscle contractions, greater growth and fewer injuries.

Partial Rep.

Using only a specific range of motion for a move: stopping before locking your joints, say, or even halfway up the rep. Not only does it extend your time under tension, it also targets the weakest part of the lift. Means earning new PB's when you perform the full move.

Slow Eccentric.

Deliberately slowing the speed at which you perform the "lowering" phase of your lift. It damages muscle fibres - which results in more nutrients reaching your muscles for repair and growth.

Pause Rep.

Holding an isometric contraction, muscle tensed, at the bottom of a move before lifting. During an isometric hold, the body can activate more motor units than usual, it is a test of strength, as you can't use any momentum to produce force, only your muscles.

Drop Set.

Performing your sets to just short of failure, then reducing the weight and continuing with more reps. Compared to standard sets that only combat the first layer of your muscle fibres, drop sets activate the deepest muscles. Remember: even though you may reach a point of failure with one weight, you haven't yet reached absolute failure.

2. noel

noel Moderator

another very random post....

not even really about TUT its just a cut and paste of a few terms around exercise execution ?

disagree with partials as depends where you do the partial, can be bottom of or mid or top part of the rep...

drop sets are usually done to failure also not before, you fail at the first weight hence why you drop, as your trying to increase the intensity of the set....not reduce it

Mr mac likes this.
  3. Brian Multigym

Brian Multigym Full Body Routine. Full Member

Thanks for your reply. It's not a cut and paste job because I use a tablet. Try that and you'll have more to delete than what is required. I have read about it prior and condensed it. I agree with your additions especially Drop Sets.

The post isn't directed at you though Noel, there will be new starts reading the posts and I checked back years to see if it had been discussed prior and from what I could see it hadn't.

4. Aleksandr

Aleksandr Full Member

I found out that everything works if u are consistent. Just need to experiment to found what works best for u.
    Always listen to Ur body.

Brian Multigym likes this.
  5. mal

mal Top Contributor

I cant do slow reps apart from the neg on bench, much prefer speed and high vol...