Traits Of Successful People

Discussion in 'Training Psychology' started by neil.rushton, Jul 28, 2015.

1. neil.rushton

neil.rushton Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    After spending quite some time delving into the old “positive thinking” side of sport psychology, I have found myself in contact with numerous sources of information (books, videos and such like), and, quite to my surprise, mostly not sports related. A lot seems to be in the area of business, people like Warren Buffet, Colonel Sanders, Richard Branson, Bill Gates etc (there are hundreds so I’ve only named the ones people would have heard of. From these, I have noticed certain traits that appear common across most, if not all, successful people. Not just high-flyer business men & women, but athletes as well.

(1) They all have a Passion for what they do. Bill Gates had a passion for computer programming, he lived it, breathed it and slept it, that passion has lead him to become one of the most successful entrepreneurs on the planet and one of the richest men in the World.

(2) They all have the belief that they will succeed. Colonel Sanders spoke to over 1000 ‘prospects’ to sell his KFC chicken recipe before someone agreed. How many would have stopped after being told “No” 10 times? 100times? 500 times? He had a belief in himself and his product and new it would be a success. Because of his belief, KFC is one of the top fast food places in the world.

(3) They have a strategy for achieving their goals. They have a plan of how they start, and a strategy for progressing, they start off with what they have, usually taking a risk, initially; and follow a structured and detailed strategy of how they plan to progress. Many know about Richard Branson taking out a £5000 loan to open up his own record shop, he followed a strategy that has led to the Virgin empire

(4) They have values. This speaks for itself. They know exactly what they will do, and exactly what they will not do, and they rarely waver from this. Many in the finance sectors have this strength. They now what they will invest in, at what price.

(5) They have energy, an enthusiasm, if you will, for acting out the strategy they have in place.

(6) Bonding power – they have a great ability to for a connection with others

(7) Communication skills. They all have great communication skills, not just with others, but with themselves. They do not sabotage their own progress by allowing self-doubts to enter their head; they manage the ‘internal mono/dialogue’ that many unsuccessful people allow to ‘talk themselves out’ of achieving their goals.

How many of these’s traits do you possess? How strong are you in each trait? The more successful you become in your chosen field, the stronger you will find you are in each of these.

There could be more, but I think this encapsulates the essentials.

Food for thought! :)

RS86, Sciatic, SystemF and 4 others like this.

2. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

Isn't there a book about this?

'The 7 habits of highly effective people'

3. neil.rushton

neil.rushton Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Don't know. Whos it by? Could well be, I 've drawn this from loads of areas so its more of a 'multi-plagerised' piece (isn't everything??), I've just worded it in my own way.

4. neil.rushton

neil.rushton Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Not heard of this guy. But, good old Amazon, it seems to be different.
    In "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey, His 7 are:-
    1) Be Proactive
    2) Begin with the end in mind
    3) Put First things First
    4) Think win/win
    5) Seek first to understand, then to be understood
    6) Synergize
    7) Sharpen the Saw

These are all just as valid, after all, there is rarely a right way & a wrong way about many things, just opinions ;)

Sciatic and doink like this.
  5. hsmann87

hsmann87 Top Contributor

Since I have started writing down my goals and putting them in my phone calender and having them pop up 5 times for each goal every day on my phone, I have started smashing my goals.

5 times per day pop up reminder every day for each goal may sound obsessive, but believe me, the subconscious effect it has is dangerous!

nelly, Jim, rick89 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Porky

Porky Committee brofessor Top Contributor

I think this post is aimed at me, will reply later as I'm in portofino harbour on me sunseeker with some stunners sipping fizz

rick89, lukeee, Cyborg and 1 other person like this.
  7. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

Wearing steel toe caps in case you drop your wallet on your foot.

LittleChris and Porky like this.
  8. Porky

Porky Committee brofessor Top Contributor

Don't want to break my arm picking my wallet up chief

9. TinyTim

TinyTim Timothy Sprague-Dawley Top Contributor

They do their own thing and don't listen to halfwits or people with tangential agendas.

Jim and RS like this.
  10. mal

mal Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    seen a few of them on the apprentice...they have begs of confidence and self belief haha.

11. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    they dont read self help books explaining what they "should" do to be successful :D

Thomas Edison, over 2000 failures at the lightbulb, but as he says he learned 2000 ways not to make a lightbulb...

12. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Musclexcess Sponsored Athlete Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    i like to surround myself at work with people brighter and smarter than myself, i will not hang around with the dolts for LOLs.
    I converse with the right people, i listen to how the successful people talk and act, i try and emulate this in my own way.

in the gym i surround myself with the strongest and most inspiring people, when i become the same level, i quit the gym and move to a bigger pond. I have done this 5-6 times.... i cannot be the big fish, i need to be pushed mentally and physically, if i am the apex then the only way is down.

Tommy6 and Daz1 like this.
  13. round 2

round 2 Top Contributor

Luck and opportunity and having the skills to capitalise on a opportunity.
    Also your outlook on money as a object rather than a emotional goal.

Or being left a shed load of money and see it all as a game (stellios,Peter green, etc).

14. Sciatic

Sciatic My mood is a state of my mind. Full Member

Enjoyed reading this. I thought that I covered 1,2 4,5,6 and 7. 3 being a no go for me as I'm lost in that area . So when I evaluate again, maybe all 7 then crumbles as (3) is extremely important to linking all the other six...?

15. Con

Con Moderator

I listen to positive motivation books and speeches while I do mundane tasks (cleaning cardio emails).
    I find that positivity/success/motivation needs to be fostered every day!

Chrisj22 and Jim like this.