1. While members here are knowledgeable, they are not doctors and are not able to diagnose or recommend treatment for medical conditions. Please consult a health care professional rather than risk your health.

Trapped Nerve

Discussion in 'Injuries, Health & Personal Care' started by Terra, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Terra

Terra Full Member

Any one here ever have a trapped nerve that causes excruciating pain in the shoulder blade/shoulder region that radiates down the arm?

If so any advice on how the hell I can make it stop? Codeine is barely doing a thing and if I take any more I'm going to overdose, can't even sleep for more than an hour at time as get woken up by the pain. Heat applied to area helps only a little and ice makes me howl in agony.

Don't know whether to make an emergency appointment at Dr's on Monday, if so should I ask for medication specific to nerve pain like Gabapentin or Pregabalin? Reading up it seems Opioid pain killers are fairly useless which does seem to be the case.

Honestly at the end of my tether, any advice would be much appreciated! :)

2. plod

plod Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    If you’re confident of source of pain, then the way I do it is stick my fingers into point of pain and try to move muscles around that point.

Ribs is an easy one for example as can breathe in and out with fingers at source.

As is shoulders and arms, could be trapped radial nerve as runs from between shoulder blades down to middle finger.

Easy to floss the radial nerve
    Few vids on YouTube

I’d try that first as you’ll get some relief quickly.
    Mine was trapped a bit back and giving me pain in tricep

Terra likes this.
  3. plod

plod Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here

About 1min 40s in for the actual exercises

Terra likes this.
  4. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

I have this. Docs prescribed me cocodamol and amitriptiline to numb the nerve. (I think that what it was suppose to do) it didnt work so stopped taking them. Physio and sports massages helped alot. When i have a bad spell with it i’ll take painkillers to help me through the night.

Terra likes this.
  5. Terra

Terra Full Member

@plod Thanks for the advice. Actually think it's another nerve perhaps Median as pain goes into top of bicep. Looked up Median nerve flossing and that pinged it a good un'. Unfortunately anything that irritates it nearly makes me vomit and then pain gets more intense after. Could be best to just leave it alone for now :D

@Raisin From what I have read painkillers will only take the edge off and you need medication specifically for nerve pain. Going to ask Dr on Monday for Gabapentin or Pregabalin, hopefully that will help. I'll let you know if it works or not, if it does you can always try asking your own Dr for it. Bloody agony isn't it? :sad:

6. lukeee

lukeee Top Contributor

You dead

7. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

Terra likes this.
  8. Dtlv

Dtlv Moderator Moderator

Good info above. One additional thing you may want to try is high dose Magnesium supplementation. It might sound like something to dismiss initially as unlikely to make a difference but I've seen first hand how it really can help where there's an injury that has caused inflammation to put pressure on a nerve and cause pain. There's also some, although not enough yet, study data supporting it's use in combo with other treatments.

A short article here- https://www.livestrong.com/article/502435-magnesium-and-nerve-pain/

Terra and doink like this.
  9. Chrisd42

Chrisd42

This sounds familiar to something i had myself , it started out like the type of pain you get when you have slept awkward , unable to turn the head in a certain direction , kept training thinking nothing of it , untill pain got so bad went to see a chiropractor usually you would think great getting sorted , fuck was i wrong the pain went from being a stiff neck to going into my shoulder and just into the bicep , best way to describe it was like being punched in side of shoulder with every heart beat , lying down trying to rest only made it worst , can fully understand what terra above went through, i know this is an old post but if my advice helps some other poor sod great , the one thing that worked for me was tramadol and diazepam small amount to release the pressure off the nerve , was given this by an out of hrs doctor cos i could take the pain no more ! Hooe this helps someone one day

10. SteveB

SteveB Full Member

Gabapentin is also a good shout to control the nerve pain.

11. Chrisd42

Chrisd42

The gabapentin takes a while for it to get into ur system thou

SteveB likes this.
  12. SteveB

SteveB Full Member

It does, It's the only thing that worked for me though. Nothing else went anywhere near that pain. I eventually had c6-7 removed and replaced. The relief from that was immediate.

13. BigChap92

BigChap92 Full Member

Gabapentin is a controlled drug as of April, it’ll prob be hard to get hold of as you won’t be able to import it from Asia anymore.

Pregabalin went on the list at the same time as well.

SteveB likes this.
  14. Chrisd42

Chrisd42

Why bother trying to import it , just get it straight from the horses mouth , mr doctor

15. BigChap92

BigChap92 Full Member

Easy there mate..... Pls refrain from using common sense on the forum.

You’ll open Pandora’s box.

milner575, Porky, Chrisd42 and 2 others like this.