Journey To Re-build My Strength.

darkside

Top Contributor
Decided to start a new log to follow my new goals.
Im Suffering from a back injury which is preventing me from pushing my deadlifts and squat, so I'm going to take the rest of the year to focus on my pressing, I will still deadlift and squat but won't be pushing weights, will maybe do deadlift one week then squat next.

First session 1 rep max test
Flat bench
120kg x 2
140kg x 1
150kg x 1
160kg x 1 this is the most I've benched since my hand injury
140kg x 4

Strict military press
90kg x 2
100kg x 1
105kg x 1
110kg x 1

Monster dumbbell single arm strict press
35kg x 3
40kg x 2
45kg x 1
50kg x 1

All my 1 rep max efforts were all comfortable not grinders.

I've got a bench program to follow that uses % of max, but you have a set amount of reps to hit in the week, it doesn't matter how many days, sets or reps are done as long as the weekly amount of reps are hit.

My initial targets are
180kg bench
120kg strict overhead
60kg strict monster dumbbell with each arm.

I've got a photo of the dumbbell, I will upload later.

So that's it, the hard work starts now.

WP_20150316_20_47_51_Pro.jpg

First session of my new program today, have the day off work so went to a different gym

Bench set up was different from my normal, I couldn't get a wide enough grip and the bench was too low to the ground, but didn't matter too much just felt awkward

Flat bench
Warmed up with plenty of fast reps at lighter weights (up to 120kg)

130kg x 5
130kg x 5
130kg x 5
130kg x 5

Was supposed to be 128kg but couldn't be bothered looking around for small plates.

Decided to follow the same program (reps and % for overhead too)

Strict overhead press
87.5kg x 4
87.5kg x 4
87.5kg x 4
87.5kg x 4
87.5kg x 4

Today's goal was 20 reps with the set weight, doesn't matter how you get the reps in as long as you hit the specific reps

I'll do this same routine 3 times then the weights and reps changes.

What program is it you're doing or is it just one you made yourself.?

This is the program

Week 1: 60 lifts @ 80% of 1 rep max
Week 2: 40 lifts @ 85%
Week 3: 20 lifts @ 90%
Week 4: 10 lifts @ 95%
Week 5: 20 lifts @ 65%
Week 6: New PB

This can be done however you want, sets, reps and days are irrelevant as long as you hit all the reps in the week with good form.

I've benched 220 at 98Kg, and was only doing 1 rep on bench every 9 days, much simpler program :D

I also found OH pressing detrimental to my bench, the shoulders were still not recovered by the next session, which was annoying as I like OH pressing.

I've benched 220 at 98Kg, and was only doing 1 rep on bench every 9 days, much simpler program :D

I also found OH pressing detrimental to my bench, the shoulders were still not recovered by the next session, which was annoying as I like OH pressing.
Wish I could train like that, I've got a naturally weak bench so need to do lots of work to keep it at an acceptable level, I always find I can increase my bench and overhead better together than separate for some reason.

Wish I could train like that, I've got a naturally weak bench so need to do lots of work to keep it at an acceptable level, I always find I can increase my bench and overhead better together than separate for some reason.

I never had a naturally strong bench I just made it strong over 20yrs of consistent training.

Have you ever tried training like that? It's more a rhetorical question because almost no one has.

I love to train and be in the gym, but I choose the results over the enjoyment.

I've not benched for 2yrs due to a shoulder injury, but a few weeks ago I did a bit and it did not seem to make it worse, just one semi heavy rep, that was it.

Two days ago I benched 202.5kg for one rep, my 4th session back, and if my shoulder holds up I have no doubt that I will progress to heavier weights.

I'm not being critical, you are an intelligent guy, just saying keep an open mind that extremes at the other end of the spectrum can and do work.

Back