Upper

Discussion in 'Training Information' started by B-rad, Nov 1, 2017.

1. B-rad

B-rad Full Member

tried something different today. Seen a video on YouTube of Jordan peters upper workout so thought I'd give something like that a try. Workout was
    Slight incline db press 4 warm up sets with 1 working set to failure
    Upright row 4 warm ups sets, 1 working set
    Db lateral raise 1 work set
    Lat pull down 4 warm up sets 1 work set
    Bent over row 1 work set
    Finished with shrugs then 3x10

Does anyone train with one work set and made good progress with size etc was thinking about going this way with training see how I get on wouldn't mind so feedback if anyone has tried it

2. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

Yep yep and yep.

Can work well, it's still heavily based on progressive overload though. So make sure you're hitting more reps/weight each workout. It's fucking hard work.

3. B-rad

B-rad Full Member

That's what I plan on doing mate. Don't know whether to keep upper workout the same or on the 2nd one put a ohp in it

4. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

I switch them up, A&B

A will be horizontal push pull compounds (bench, rows etc) with a bit of fluff for delts

B is vertical compounds (over head, pull-ups etc) with ISO's for chest.

pooley1810 likes this.
  5. B-rad

B-rad Full Member

I'm going to train ppl keeping it at that but still use the 1 working set, I'm feeling it abit today got some doms

G-G likes this.
  6. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

I think the benefit of training this way means you can train more frequently. Rather than doing 1 push session every 5 days or so, you'd do 1 every second training day.

7. B-rad

B-rad Full Member

True mate didn't think of it like that tbh. Wanna try and hit things as much as I can too

8. Leviathan

Leviathan Competitor

This is what I'm doing ate until it becomes apparent I need to add in an extra rest day, pull push legs off repeat, this way I'm hitting everything every 4 days and I get a day off between pull and legs via the push day or a complete rest day

9. B-rad

B-rad Full Member

@G-G how many pulls would be enough in each upper, trying to split horizontal push with pull and vertical push with pull
    Upper a
    Flat bench
    Cable x over
    Db shoulder press
    Side delt raise
    Bb row
    Seated hammer row
    Face pull
    Bicep
    Tricep

Upper b
    Ohp
    Side delt raise
    Incline db press
    Pec Dec
    Chin ups
    Close grip pull down
    Straight arm dull down
    Face pull
    Bicep
    Tricep

10. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

I train a little different and tend to do a pull for every push on every upper session, one after the other.

Example
    Bench
    Bent over row
    Incline smith
    Lat pulldowns

That's normally it as far as the wavy work goes. Might throw in some late raises or curls or x-overs but only if I can be arsed.

What you've got seems more like a "chest&shoulders" then a "shoulders and back". If you can hack the volume then I'm sure it'll work, you've covered everything more than once.

11. B-rad

B-rad Full Member

I thought they were quite even? I got 2 chest 2 shoulder and 3 back in upper a then 2 chest and 2 shoulder in b with 4 in back. Can you help me tweek it. I don't want to high volume as I want to lift heavy and beat the logbook with progressive overload

Just keep as compound movements to make it easier

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017