Are You Good With Money?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Drago, May 3, 2016.

1. Drago

Drago Elite Member

historically I've been terrible but really been trying to get a handle on things as I can't keep renting for ever and having no money in savings!

Trying to cut back on spend and set up automatic transfers into savings etc and cut bills too.

Thought about trying to clear my car on a credit card and then transferring the balance but still too much left on the car £5k when my cc limit is £1600!

Anyway, how good are you with money? Do you have any savings tips for moi??

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

I'm not bad but don't earn enough compared to my costs of living to really save much either and won't be owning my own home anytime soon or ever TBH (unless I outlive everyone else and get some good inheritance). I'm not compulsive which helps. I faff and then feel guilty for spending so that helps me be cautious LOL

I try and put a bit away, even if it's just £50, at the start of every month just so something isn't being spent. If I leave it til teh end it will get spent so I remove it from my current account on pay day. But then I get a month like this one is already and last month where I've brought my boy a new bike, school shoes and uniform, had to get a new hoover, booked a summer holiday, got to buy tickets to the Royal Albert to see my son perform, I have to survive 5 weekends between pay cheques not 4 this month both being a bloody bank holiday too - and that fcuks things up. But at least we do have the summer holiday 'reward'.

If things are tight then monotony pays off, doing the same, eating the same pretty much, buying the same each month so you really know you are always within budget makes it easier to know you have some to put by and maybe a bit more if nothing unexpected falls on you

3. s man

s man Elite Member

Trying to get a hold of things at the moment. With 5 of us in the house and my training we've been spending over £200 a week on shopping. Started using Iceland, Aldi, Sainsburys and B&m now instead of just a main one and have halved that amount. So that's over 5k saved in 1 swoop.

The wife likes lots of classes like Zumba, aqua aerobics etc but was paying for each individual. Found out she can get them all under 1 roof at the newly developed council sports centre and being as she works for a local school she gets a discounted yearly rate that has saved us another £35 a month.

Stopped getting takeaways, only go out for a meal once a month and as a family of 5 we've saved another £3-400 a month. We're even saving all our nectar, club card and shopping vouchers for xmas so as to be prepared in advance lol.

Shopped around for utility supplies, checked if there was cheaper deals on all insurance policies etc etc and suddenly we are well over 10k a year better off in total.

GymRatGresham and Drago like this.
  4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

We spend ~£150 a week for 3 of us shopping (that includes all the hair crap etc my wifes 'needs') but I honestly struggle to see where I could save much there as I get mostly own brand stuff - there are 1 or 2 wasteful things but really not much (i've swtiched back to chicken instead of beef for example). And with only weekends free don't really have the time to muck about going to 3 or 4 different stores, and TBH all the driving about would probably off-set what I would save. We rarely eat out or get take-outs but as I'm out all weekday evening I like to cook the weekend evening meals

5. s man

s man Elite Member

Luckily I'm in London lol on my 4 mile journey from the gym to home there are 3 Iceland's, 2 B and M's, 1 Tesco, 2 Aldi and 1 Lidl.

Off the top of my head I eat 1.25-1.5 kg of Chicken a day and now get it £1.60p per kg cheaper which with the bits I make for the wife and kids out of chicken also is £20 a week saved. The kids love there Krave Cereal but it costs a stupid amount. I found one in Lidl that cost a third and they like it more. The wife picks up all my spinach, veg and all there salad, potatoes etc for the week from the giant Asian supermarket that we have a few of near us for about half the price we where paying before and it taste so much better also.
    The wife has stopped or should I say I have stopped her Evian obsession and it's another huge saving over a week as she necks 2-3 litres a day. I think picking up the same little things we used to get at Sainsburys from B&M instead saves us over £20 a week as well. Things like Oatmeal, the little ones fruit strings, Tuna, snacks for the kids, detergent and cleaners are all half the price or better there. Added to that the wife gets loads of freebies from the Avon she does for family and friends so she uses them more now.

An on top of all that I eat half as much as you do lol

6. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Cutting does help save money LOL

7. Irish Beast

Irish Beast Moderator

Getting slightly better, oddly enough since moving to London! Actually managing to save money which is unusual. Unfortunately it all got wiped out moving into the new place but at least I had it there. Had to start again. I think being in work most of the time helps. Decent wage coming in and not as much time to spend it. There is also the element of 'recreational' activities which I hardly partake in down South but when up North I do 10 fold such as last weekend and bank account took a hammering. Its annoying when you have good mates that are always skint, and its not a ploy either to get me to pay, well not with all of them.

In a few weeks I will be in a reasonably nice place financially. Not loaded or anything but a nice place for me is not having to shit myself every time a bill comes in or worry about money being in my account to cover direct debits and basics. However this contract won't last forever and I need to cut back on my spending a bit. However in saying that after working a really gruelling office job 8-10 hours a day non stop, is it really reasonable to expect someone to go home stressed and just do nothing? I need my pub outlet and that's it! Its money well spent in my opinion. Not a big session but enough to unwind and get ready for the day ahead.

So to summarise Im probably not good with money but certainly getting better!

Drago likes this.
  8. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

I'm quite good, the only debt I have is the mortgage, I just settle when I have debts, maybe being brought up in a generation where you couldn't have something until you'd saved up (for almost everything) was a positive, I say almost as I do remember my parents buying on tick some bedroom stuff for us as we all slept in the same bed, a few weeks later, the place went up in smoke, including the paperwork, now I'm not casting aspersions, but I must get my pyromaniac tendencies from somewhere mwa hahahaha.

9. Drago

Drago Elite Member

Shopping in lidl is saving me a tidy sum. Quality is decent and it's cheap. I'm on my own so I was spending about £60 a week on food which I realise is a lot but now with lidl it's more like £30-35 and I haven't had to change my eating habits.

Cut back on booze which is saving me. Reduced my 4G data which is saving me about £5 a month which doesn't sound like much but I wasn't using it anyway. Cancelled phone insurance as well!

Can't bring myself to cancel Spotify or Netflix though!

Did go a bit mad at the weekend and spent a fortune on clothes

10. Sprite Goblin

Sprite Goblin Senior Member

I'm real good with money - send it all to me and I'll have it all cleaned up in no time

11. Rentaghost

Rentaghost Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't so I went out and made more.

Fact is I just didn't have enough. I'm sound now...

Drago likes this.
  12. beeso

beeso Senior Member

Yep, very good at getting it. Very good at managing it and very good at blowing it whenever I feel like it.

J_J likes this.
  13. Irish Beast

Irish Beast Moderator

Amazing .Expenditure last month was £13k on nothing in paritcular

Drago and J_J like this.