Cardio For Fat Loss

Hi mate.. in that time does your heart rate fall back to normal or below 60-75% Max HR? As i understand you won't be getting the full benefits of a HIIT workout if it does, your heartrate should not drop below that 60-75% zone on the rest periods or it's Not really HIIT. If your within that zone then great.. if not maybe consider changing your protocol to something like 20 seconds max, 10 seconds rest.. or shorter rest. I'd highly recommend giving the guerilla cardio a bash!

i drop to around 155bpm on 'rest' (not much of a fricken rest) periods, which is 80% of max hr, working periods i am at 85%

i will give the monkey version a go though

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: this Guerilla Cardio

so it's;

20sec sprinting

10sec jogging

or is the 10secs taken as complete rest?

Think I'll give it a try
wacko.gif

I cant do that on the treadmill.

I treble those ratios, 60 secs jogging and 30 secs all out. 10 intervals.

Works very well, i would still be doing it if i didnt come down with this blasted cold!

Yes mate that's right.. sprint 100% effort 20 seconds, 10 seconds walking/slow jogging) repeat. it recommends a 4 minute warm up aswell (jog for 4 mins before starting the intervals) and a 4 minute cool down (another 4 min jog if that's what your doing) but that's optional. Just make sure on the sprints you give EVERYTHING, 100% otherwise it won't be as effective as it should be.

I personally don't find any longer ratios nearly as effective, if your resting for a minute then your heartrate is likely to drop substantially (if your fit atleast, as the speed at which your heartrate returns to normal after vigorous exercise is a good indication of fitness- it should drop atleast 30 beats)

Re: this Guerilla Cardio

so it's;

20sec sprinting

10sec jogging

or is the 10secs taken as complete rest?

Think I'll give it a try
wacko.gif

My HR dont drop that much, it baely goes below 80% MHR when im jogging for the minute. When i sprint its close to 90%

I treble those ratios, 60 secs jogging and 30 secs all out. 10 intervals.

Works very well
Aye, it does. Don't know if you're aware but people have been doing that for many decades with success: the basic principle was known as Fartlek, long before it was called interval training.

Reactions: tio
Aye, it does. Don't know if you're aware but people have been doing that for many decades with success: the basic principle was known as Fartlek, long before it was called interval training.
Ah nice one. I wasnt aware of what it was called. I just used those ratios as the treadmills take around 6-7 seconds to get to the running speed so i couldnt do 10 second sprints if i wanted to. I just start the sprint 6 odd seconds before the jog part is over.

I do rate it very highly.

I wasnt aware of what it was called. I just used those ratios
Sorry, waasn't clear enough: the entire principal, not those specific ratios, was originally known as Fartlek (it's swedish, means "speed play"). It doesn't have set ratios as such, it's a principal based around periods of varying intensity during running. You almost never heard it mentioned on bb'ing / fitness forums, but it's a common term in running circles.

Thanks for the input lads. I tried it last night after my weights on the treadmill, but as TIO says, it's hard to get the speed up and down so quickly. Ended up doing 25sec sprints then 10-15secs where I'd pause the machine, start it again to walking, then pause again, then start again and sprint - did this about 8 times and was covered in sweat so must still work quite well.

I can't jog, would doing this on a bike give the same outcomes?

(had a disc out L5 and partial masectomy)

I have always done about 45mins of cardio in the morning, I do 15mins on the treadmill, bike & rower. Usually do it on an empty stomach, just have a black coffee with one sugar and off i go...seems to do the trick for me!!! 

Back