Does anyone practice a martial art?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bilo, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Bilo

Bilo Senior Member

If so, what stage are you at, and what is it that you like?

I started Jiu Jitsu before uni and loved it, gutted I had to stop. I'm looking in to starting it up again this summer.

2. Kratos

Kratos Elite Member

@Yudansha karate or judo I think...?

3. warmachine

warmachine UGM Sponsored Athlete

obviously everyone knows i am a boxer but i used to do taekwondo and hapkido and was gonna get back into ut before i found out i will have to have surgery for a torn meniscus. but will be as soon as i have healed

4. Rentaghost

Rentaghost Moderator Staff Member

I have a black belt in origami

holly likes this.
  5. Guerilla9

Guerilla9 Elite Member

I trained Wado-ryu karate for a couple of years before I started lifting. Sensei (Ray Coates - trained by the son of the guy who invented the style) stopped and I couldn't find anyone I was happy with to continue so I stopped too. Was a 6th kyu at the time.

Been thinking of making a return to a martial art but really not sure where I'd find the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2015
  6. Mass Monster

Mass Monster Elite Member

Tried a few different martial arts at uni shotokan karate, kickboxing, ninjutsu and boxing. Practice aspects of them sometimes when doing cardio or just messing about on bags/pads.

Interested in functional self defence martial arts like Krav Maga or Keysi which aren't soley 'technique' driven, but rely more on 'instinct'. This type of martial art has been showcased in flims like Jack Reacher and Batman.

https://youtu.be/IrcE5oLmJqE

7. mick_the_brick

mick_the_brick Administrator

Anyone ever done any close combat stuff?

Army trained / special forces etc?

8. AlriteGeezer

AlriteGeezer Elite Member

Iv always loved the concept of Krav Maga but schooling is few and far between in these parts

9. . Az .

. Az . Elite Member

I did a bit of karate when I was younger, I struggled with it socially and eventually dropped it.

I retained a lot of the functional stuff, our instructor was very self defense orientated and wasn't shy of teaching some very effective moves. Not that breaking bones is considered proportionate self defense lol.

If I decided to do anything again it would need to be more functional, self defense orientated. YouTube is a pretty good resource to pick up some ideas etc.

10. Yudansha

Yudansha Senior Member

Have 5 black belts done karate since I was 4 swapped to jujitsu when I was 20 now 42... belts are in kyokushinkai aiki jutsu shotokan judo and jukkuryu jujitsu. .. Have boxed and kickboxed and paddled in the water with some other stuff... always used to do a couple at once until the joints started screaming at me. Trained with some of the best teachers in the various arts in the northwest, weapons trained and done full and semi contact (look at me face for fucks sake .. stopped a few fists and feet that grid has)
    Basically that's what I did instead of football growing up..
    Done some close quarter stuff as well..

11. Yudansha

Yudansha Senior Member

Sorry for the slow reply an all...

12. Rentaghost

Rentaghost Moderator Staff Member

Krav Maga is my default fighting style.

I've always been a throw everything at everyone and bite their ears sort of guy.... I wouldn't even call that a martial art. It's just default violence in its basest form.

Yudansha and AlriteGeezer like this.
  13. Drago

Drago Elite Member

Taekwondo for years then Muay Thai and a little bit of mma

Never great at any of it and never stuck at anything long enough. Really wish I'd stuck at the Taekwondo though because I loved it.

Would like to try bjJ at some point!

I don't like getting punched in the face which is why I stopped boxing and kickboxing

14. CASS

CASS Senior Member

i am trained in trade craft as such