Drinking more alcohol - Is it such a bad thing?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by . Az ., Apr 18, 2015.

1. . Az .

. Az . Elite Member

I know the common theme is to drink less, as it's better for our health etc.

I'm not disputing the health benefits of drinking less, but what about more? Anybody actually made a conscious effort to consume more alcohol, from drinking virtually none?

I've been drinking maybe 1-2 times a week after particularly stressful shifts, and my mood has improved dramatically the following day. I'm feel much better off for it. It's a dangerous thought, but how sustainable could this be in terms of addiction and diminishing therapeutic effect?

I've observed that a lot of people drink quite a lot more than what I'm suggesting. Obvious dependence going on. I've never struggled in that regard, I don't have such personality traits.

I guess the real question - Can alcohol be frequently consumed 3 nights a week and remain therapeutic in its value?

I have benzodiazipine scripts available, which is probably healthier and more diet friendly to use but I'm keeping it off my records for the foreseeable future.

2. Rentaghost

Rentaghost Moderator Staff Member

I dont think I could manage much more without it impacting negatively on my life tbh

3. RAD

RAD Elite Member

It use to have that effect on me at the start slept better, felt more relaxed and as a result felt great the next day soon started to wear off though.

Suppose if you can control it theres no harm it giving it a go

4. AlriteGeezer

AlriteGeezer Elite Member

I think moderation is key here.. knowing when to stop and where the line to draw.

5. . Az .

. Az . Elite Member

I think I can moderate it effectively.

Any cost effective suggestions? I'm thinking a cheaper but drinkable vodka maybe? Think I had Aldi brand bought at Christmas was alright.

I've been going between desperado and those rekorderlig(sp?) fruit ciders. It's costly and calorific though.

I'll get a large flask and dose it out, then I can't escalate the consumption beyond what I ration out. Seems sensible...for now...

6. AlriteGeezer

AlriteGeezer Elite Member

I like wine when I'm at home.. usually 2-3 glasses to chill on a Friday night, I have the odd glass through the week while cooking. I could never moderate it, any more than 2 or 3 and I'm in binge drinking mode lol

7. s man

s man Elite Member

I have a glass of red about 5 times a week.

Find it relaxing, enjoy it and it has its health benefits. Always fancy another but as with what we do in general I just say no.

AlriteGeezer likes this.
  8. Drago

Drago Elite Member

The way I feel this morning I never ever want to see alcohol again!

9. PAGAN

PAGAN Elite Member

I think it's a terrible idea mate tbh.As someone struggling to reduce their alcohol intake I can tell you that it has very little positive impact on mental or physical health in the long term.

10. Slight of hand

Slight of hand The bed you sleep in....

The odd beer or wine will have no long term harm, periodic, sustained and habitual perhaps.

It's not the immediate health issues I have with alcohol, it's that fact it fucks up everything,

Fights arguments, nastiness, infidelity, etc etc., It absolutely wrecks lives.....when I see Facebook posts that say "Prosecco, oh don't mind if iI do" what they don't post is the nasty as fuck fight that takes place by 11pm after 2 bottles...

I only drink socially now, almost because I have  to in order not isolate myself from my social group, which is a shame

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
    Pip, Arterial Dan and PAGAN like this.
  11. Drago

Drago Elite Member

I agree with that SoH I think so much of our social culture revolves around drink that we all feel like we have to or we are being boring if we don't.

A few pints yesterday turned in to a full session for me drinking from 1pm right through and now I feel like a bag of crap.

Might even be a 2 day hangover certainly feels bad enough to last 2 days!

12. Pip

Pip Elite Member

This totally

13. Drago

Drago Elite Member

Yep it's a 2 day hangover yuck

14. Rentaghost

Rentaghost Moderator Staff Member

I've actually started to despise alcohol.

After Saturday where I only drank for the reasons you mentioned, I felt I had to I've vowed not to touch it again.

I know I've said it in the past but I didn't bother with it, felt great then drank twice last week and it's completely put me off.

It does nothing for me, it just causes shit and hassle. It just brings out the worst in people.

I'm done with going out getting bladdered altogether. I knew this day would come eventually.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
    Slight of hand likes this.
  15. . Az .

. Az . Elite Member

Totally agree with what's being said here, excessive alcohol consumption ruins everything it comes into contact with, any exceptions are purely delusions.

I drink socially when I feel I need to, but that's only to act as an anxiolytic. Couple times I've emptied half a strip of valium and hammered TVRs (tequila, vodka redbull) on a night out and I always feel fearful of my actions the next day with the retrograde amnesia. I'm not a nasty drunk, but my personality disinhibited and unregulated can be troublesome. I do miss alcohol fuelled misadventures but those days are gone.