Health And Longevity

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by spearman, Feb 22, 2021.

1. spearman

spearman Elite Member

I think I am done with BB and strength training. I’ve never considered myself to be a BB anyway and was never that strong best lifts were 180kg dead and squat with 110kg bench at 80kg BW.

I’ve found over the years that any sort of persistent heavy training makes me feel shit, excessively tired and effects my sleep and mood, but I keep coming back to it as I don’t want to have a dad bod! And there is the lure of lifting weights.

I’m 41 now and my main concern is health and longevity and with that in mind what would consider the optimal way to to do this with regards to

Training
    Diet
    Supplements
    others

I am on trt for life due to actual low test levels.

Generally I feel constantly tired, worn out and don’t sleep well. I have always had trouble with recovery from working out.

First things to do is

Stop drinking
    Clean up diet (more fruit and veg)
    Drop weight training, but keep in cardio (walking 1.5hrs a day)

Thoughts?

2. Ronnie_Malenko

Ronnie_Malenko Elite Member

Just by doing them steps you will feel a different man imo

stopping drinking mostly

3. mick_the_brick

mick_the_brick Administrator

Sleep needs to be your main priority mate it affects every aspect of your life

My bed stack is

3mg melatonin
    1000mg magnesium
    50mg zinc
    2ui hgh (optional)

No solid food upto 2 hiurs before sleep

600ml milk roughly a hour before bed

Most nights in bed 10pm, woke up this morning without alarm 6.30am ferling refreshed and ready to rock

spearman likes this.
  4. Ronnie_Malenko

yer agree without sleep nothing works i get 8/9 hours near enough every night id be a mess if i got less than say 6 regular

mick_the_brick likes this.
  5. spearman

spearman Elite Member

I’ve always been a poor sleeper. Always very broken sleep. I use melatonin and magnesium. Why such a high dose of zinc?

I’ve got hgh on route.

I know if I slept better I would feel a whole lot better

6. spearman

spearman Elite Member

7. The Love Machine

The Love Machine A steroid pumping, food raping machine

pint of milk before bed every night helps me

Plus stops me feeling hungry etc

8. Ronnie_Malenko

Dosent sound much cop on reddit like
    Not very accurate

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Is there any kind of medical condition (or lifestyle) for why you struggle that much to recover? Just sleep...?

Properly scheduled training with weights can still be hugely beneficial rather than just chase PBs every week... cycle in deloads etc and have things properly programmed. Take a step back from heavy, low rep work as that's probably not worth it for the rewards and risks

10. The Red Meat Kid

The Red Meat Kid Elite Member

I am with you..

After turning 30 recently and taking the piss with alcohol and reccies.. not steroids all much I never use consistently enough for it even to be considered cycles.

plan is to keep training the way I have been which is a typical bro split but exercises I enjoy just chasing the pump.

cardio I gave in at 45 mins daily when gyms are open which I may up to include HIIT

probably take heed to some of cons posts about some healthcare supps to use long term.

being shredded and vascular is past me I just want to look good naked and feel like I have a good level of fitness

11. danny187

danny187 Elite Member

Vitamins wise which ain’t over promoted snake oil companies and covers a general basis, bit like an insurance plan I would recommend

vitamin d - 5000ui a day all year round
    A decent multivitamin but not an over hyped expensive one
    Omega 3 caps at a min of maybe 500mg combined epa and dha a day, or say 3000mg (3 caps of standard 1000mg dosage)

additional sleep stacks / minerals as above from Mick if budget stretches.

Training wise.

Could look at totally different genres of exercise, as you say walking, running, cardio based YouTube videos, kettlebells, elitefts type resistance bands, core / mobility and / or whatever takes your fancy on goal of working towards a more healthy balanced lifestyle of what you enjoy and what makes you feel good.

Diet.

You could start logging foods in apps like nutri check, MyNetDiary or more bb type ones like mfp. Mainly use for a month as a food diary, add everything including alcohol that goes in body, then adjust and take out anything you feel triggers lethargy / hinders sleep like aubergine, cheese, chocolate, caffeine pre bed. etc

also if a data geek, get a decent fitness tracker watch for steps, heart rate (although not 100% accurate can help for zone training and all that jazz)

few suggestions, may not be for you so just cherry pick what does and don’t lol

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    mick_the_brick likes this.
  12. RAD

RAD Elite Member

Done ?? WTF do you mean Done?? There's no such thing we are in this for life it just time for a rethink and a reshuffle that's all LOL.

I agree with stopping the drink though I know it sort of helps with anxiety but in reality it makes it worse the next day and you quickly get into a downward cycle.I have had major problems with sleep and the only thing that actually sorted it was magnesium glycinate and a little bit dope not the best solution by any means but it works and has helped me enormously.Not recommending it just saying what works for me.

Training wise I had to virtually start again right back to beginners type stuff I am talking about full body routine twice a week with light weights and a couple of 8 rep sets per body part and a bit light cardio in-between.You slowly have to build up your tolerance and totally forget about what you use to be able to do and start over from scratch.Its not easy but certainly do able.

Cleaning up your diet is always a good thing but also re thinking your supplements is another I use to take all sorts in the hope it would help but being honest I take very little now and feel a hell of a lot better.

My supplements now are

Fish oil 1000mg x 2 a day
    1 multi vit
    750mg of mag glycinate at night

And that's it, before I was on a list as long as my arm.

I know you've been struggling for a while now with low mood,energy and sleep etc just wondering if you have ever had your thyroid checked if yes and it's fine it could well be worth having a look at your trt and instead of focusing on the suggested ranges (which tbh don't mean much) going more on how you actually feel and making adjustments from there.

Unfortunately trt is trial and error and because everyone is different it's finding what's applicable to you rather than chasing numbers.Mine for example is 125mgs of test e and 80mgs of mast a week that's where I feel my best but that wouldn't suit everyone.So finding your own sweet spot is a must tbh.

Also get a bloody journal going LOL.

13. mick_the_brick

mick_the_brick Administrator

Improved and strengthened immune system.

Its very important my immune system is firing on all cylinders. My blood cancer treatment kicks hell out of it etc.

14. spearman

spearman Elite Member

Firstly gents, thanks for all the replies.

I think its just sleep tbh, maybe diet ist fantastic, but its not the worse.

I start to feel really fatigued and ill after a heavy workout, even a moderate workout makes me feel a bit crap. It always effects my sleep.
    Ive tried more times than i can remember to programme my workouts, even training twice a week using 531 and not going balls to the wall on the last set has me feeling like crap at the end of a cycle.

Prob is i find all other types of working out boring. Multiple sets and reps of light weights just isnt fun.

I sometimes do circuit training maybe i need to try and stick with that.

or suggestions?

I follow con on insta. Anything in particular you can think of?

Danny I take all those supps. Diet i am trying to include more good food. Main meals looks like this. I would add another meal if i was training and PWO shakes etc

M1

80g avocado
    80g spinach
    60g blueberry
    50g whey
    25g peanut butter

M2

150g chicken thigh
    5 oat cakes
    2 pieces of fruit

M3

2 weetabix
    400ml FF milk
    50g whey
    1 banana
    25g peanut butter
    greens powder

M4

Dinner which is lean protein and carbs with veg which varies i.e.
    Sea bass & pasta & veg
    Steak & potatoes & veg
    Etc etc

Some snacks and stuff during the day and at night. I maintain my weight on that.

RAD my mucker!

Cant smoke weed as get drug tested at work. I have no real issue falling asleep these days, i just cant stay asleep and have a really light un-refreshing sleep.

Yup i have had my thyroid checked, but it was a while ago 2019
    TSH 1.8 mIU/L (Range: 0.27 - 4.2)
    Free T3 7.38 pmol/L (Range: 3.1 - 6.8)
    Free Thyroxine 18.200 pmol/L (Range: 12 - 22)

Free T3 was high

Supps have been reduced recently

AM
    Multi
    fish oil
    curcumin
    l-tyrosine
    hibiscus tea

PM
    fish oil
    magnesium
    zinc
    melatonin
    hibiscus tea

trt is roughly about 150mg test and 100mg of mast these days, must put my numbers in the high end. I have been tempted to up it to 200mg a week, but my BP is about 130ish over 80 due to stress and poor sleep. Dont want to make that worse. That why the hibiscus has been introduced.

I am not training heavy, i simply cant these days, but maybe i do need to complete strip it back to starting off as if i am total beginner i.e. BW exercise and bar. That's a sad state of affairs though. I think i could still lift close to what i could if i really wanted to, but my CNS just simply cannot recover.

haha a journal? who wants to read about someone who doesn't actually train properly on BB forum?

15. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Worth a medical.... getting wiped out that easily isn't right. Could be an underlying issue there IMO.

Training wise I think you just have to find what you can handle, enjoy and stick to longer term... very few can train heavy long term, age and injuries just takes it's toll unless you are lucky or gifted. It's a no brainer to keep doing what you can but within your health parameters.

spearman likes this.