1. UGM acknowledges the use of AAS (anabolic and androgenic steroids) POMs (prescription-only medicines) and other performance-enhancing substances in bodybuilding today. It aims to provide reliable information on their safe administration, side effects and dangers.

UGM does not approve or support the unlawful supply, possession or use of any drug.

Members may report and describe factually their experiences with AAS and brands of AAS and POMs.

Members may not offer to supply or facilitate the unlawful supply of AAS, POMS or other controlled drugs on UGM or its messaging systems.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Opportunity

Discussion in 'Performance Enhancing Drugs' started by Dr Angell, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Dr Angell

Dr Angell Senior Member

Hi All,

I've recently been approached by a researcher from the BBC Horizon programme as they are making a documentary looking at performance enhancing drugs largely prompted by the recent doping scandals in sport. They're going to be investigating a number of PED's and are even looking at the direct effects of different PED's on a presenter (micro-dosing). From my conversations with her she has expressed that they are very keen to get the real-world perspective of those that use outside of 'elite' sport and pro-body-building and to get their personal experiences. I know this will immediately raise a red flag for most of you but I should stress that in the first instance all they are after is a phone conversation, off the record. I think this is a great opportunity to get the perspective of everyday individuals that use AAS and to help broaden the general publics understanding of AAS use aside from the sensationalist stories that are normally in the media. Here's a copy of the blurb that she has been sending out and if you'd like to contact her directly then please feel free to do so.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

"BBC Horizon the world’s oldest and most prestigious science strand is making a one hour special looking at the recent sports doping scandal. The documentary aims to explore the increased use of doping agents in both professional and amateur sports and quantify the effects various popular doping agents have on the human body. We will be working with world famous sportsmen and some of the world’s biggest science institutions. We are also very interested in anabolic steroid use at an amateur level and want to talk to steroid users about their personal experience with these drugs. Initially this would just be an off the record conversation. If you would be happy to talk to the BBC about your experience off the record, please contact Annie Mackinder at annie.mackinder@bbc.co.uk or on 07711000278."

If you'd like more info then please get in touch on here or feel free to email me at angellp@hope.ac.uk. I appreciate there might be some hesitation to do this but I really believe that if we are to get better support for those that do use AAS then the first step is to raise awareness. Hopefully you've all seen my other posts but if you have any reservations about myself then please give @Irish Beast a shout as he has been a part of my research before and can vouch for my intentions.

Hope to hear from you all soon

2. Irish Beast

Irish Beast Moderator

Hi Mate,

Happy to do a phone interview. You have my details

3. Dr Angell

Dr Angell Senior Member

Thanks @Irish Beast much appreciated.

What's the chances anyone else will be willing? @Slight of hand would you be willing to recommend this to anyone? Think it's a great opportunity to get the view point of the avaerage user over to a wider audience. I can go on about what motivates people based on the people I've spoken to and the thing I've read but it's not a substitute for real life experiences. The more view points the better!

4. Irish Beast

Irish Beast Moderator

I will ask a few people./

Need some more details on the call pal. If its going to anonymous and not too time consuming then I wlll ask a few people to get involved.

Are voices going to be played on tv? For most people total anonymity will be a must.

5. andyboro

andyboro Fat

I spoke to Annie last night, Its quite a refreshing change to see a more neutral, fact based view being taken.

Whether it will make any real difference in the long run I don't know, but it should make for interesting viewing at least.

6. andyboro

andyboro Fat

I was on the phone for 15/20 mins, nothing too probing asked and confidentiality assured.

7. Dr Angell

Dr Angell Senior Member

@Irish Beast in the first instance it's a completely off-the-record chat and from there it's up to the individual where it goes. There's no pressure to go any further though.

@andyboro that's great to hear! Hopefully your positive experience will help inspire others to contact either Annie or myself. Can never be sure but hopefully it will raise awareness and promote some sort of positive change in terms of support

8. Kratos

Kratos Elite Member

Dr Angell... trust you completely mate as real life people who know you have vouched for you..
    However. . The BBC. .. documentary. .. doping... steroids... ingredients for a one sided documentary riddled with myth or bellends...

9. Dr Angell

Dr Angell Senior Member

@Kratos can totally understand your reservations mate and fully expected some hesitation from individuals. I think they're valid concerns too and something that I was concerned about too when I first spoke to Annie. I've got the feeling throughout that they are trying to put across the view point of the average user and not villify them in anyway but simply get across the motivations of users aside from what is typically thought. If you want to talk to me first or maybe we can sort a call with both myself and Annie we may be able to allay any fears/concerns you might have. Let me know what you think anyway and thanks for the input, it's much appreciated