Jam Roly Poly, High Protein, Lowish Fats/carbs

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Dirty Harry, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

I'll put this here too, it's that good.

For those with a sweet tooth, a microwave and an air fryer, fuck me I've stumbled across an amazing little recipe, if you like jam roly poly, you'll love this , amounts are just rough but get somewhere around there and it'll be right.

Mug or so of organic oats blitzed into flour
    8/10/12 scoops of vanilla whey
    3-4 eggs
    Tablespoon of peanut butter
    Stevia sweetener to taste
    3 caps of Vanilla extract
    Dessert spoon of baking powder
    Squeeze of lemon (optional)
    1 x banana
    Tub of Vanilla Quark
    Mix everything in a bowl with 1-2 cartons of unsweetened Almond milk. basically until it has the consistency of a thick pancake mix.

Method :- 2-3 ladles into a plastic dish with a bit of pre-melted coconut oil, microwave and mix until it's gone like suet, only takes a couple of minutes, then line the air fryer with some greased (coconut oil again) tin foil and cook for 5-10 minutes, it's ready hot, cold , or anywhere in between.

Strawberries blitzed with Stevia and a spoonful of reduced sugar jam, pour as required on top of some fat free Greek yoghurt.

I'll put up a picture in due course.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Big ian likes this.
  2. Dirty Harry

I've used fruits of the forest and cherries here but better with strawberries

Attached Files:

NM1, RAD, The Love Machine and 2 others like this.
  3. mick_the_brick

mick_the_brick Elite Member

It looks better than it sounds mate tbh

Good effort

Any idea on macros?

4. Dirty Harry

In reality Mick it's the other way round lol, what started off as a fucked up pancake mix, along with a bit of tweaking and trial and error, it's turned out brilliant.

The whole thing macro-wise I'm not certain mate as I don't really weigh I just go with taste and consistency with the batter, with the 10 scoops of whey, Quark, eggs, peanut butter, mines well over 300grams of protein and I'll easily get 8 servings (normally 4 days worth) so around 40 grams per serving (maybe more), the carbs apart from any with the above is what ever a a mug of the floured oats is along with any fruit, and the fats whatever is in 3-4 eggs, desert spoon of peanut butter and the bit of coconut oil for cooking.

5. mick_the_brick

Its decent breakdown mate tbh

Ill ask the missus to knock me a one up

Dirty Harry likes this.
  6. Dirty Harry

That was the aim tbh Mick, wanted something high protein, reasonably low carbs and fats (although that can be adjusted depending on need/taste), but primarily for me something that would satisfy my sweet tooth, completely fluked it lol , I don't mind admitting that.

mick_the_brick likes this.
  7. Big ian

Big ian Elite Member

Not a fan of jam roly poly tbh but thanks anyway DH. I make my own dark chocolate and peanut butter and whey oat bars when bulking, absolutely flippin gorgeous :cool:

NM1 and Dirty Harry like this.
  8. mick_the_brick

Pop the recipe up mara

Big ian likes this.
  9. Big ian

Big ian Elite Member

Will do at some point mate, I’ve changed it little bits at a time over the years but I don’t measure the stuff with a weighing scale really, just use scoop sizes and everyone’s scoops for protein powder are different so I’ll have to weigh it out properly.

mick_the_brick and Dirty Harry like this.
  10. Dirty Harry

Scoop sizes are the future Big Ian ;-) and tbh what you do, ie - changing little bits to get it right over time is all I do too.

I've been toying with the idea of trying a chocolate one but I reckon your idea of doing them in bars would probably work best so may give that a try .

mick_the_brick and Big ian like this.
  11. Big ian

Big ian Elite Member

Yeah I actually have two “recipes” which I’ve developed over the years. one which is higher kcals and one which is higher protein and lower kcals. The second one is harder to get right and can be hit and miss with the consistency/texture though.

mick_the_brick and Dirty Harry like this.
  12. Dirty Harry

I think a lot depends on the protein powder from personal experience BI, the one I'm using at the moment (decent macro's but cheap ass) mixes well but really thickens up after 10 minutes, seems better for cooking with if I'm honest, I'd probably use double of other powders I've used in the past to get the same consistency.

mick_the_brick and Big ian like this.
  13. Big ian

Big ian Elite Member

For me it’s just coz I’m using less peanut butter and more protein powder that I have to be extra careful with the cooking time otherwise it goes too dry too easily. I find unflavoured whey best for flavour with the right amount of cocoa powder rather than using chocolate flavoured whey, even adding extra cocoa on doesn’t get it tasting right if using chocolate whey.

Look at us two, sharing cooking tips and that, we’ll be holding Tupperware parties aswell soon haha

Dirty Harry and mick_the_brick like this.
  14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

I prefer knocking up shakes than bars so much quicker to make and easier to adjust macros without fvcking up the end product

Dirty Harry likes this.
  15. Dirty Harry

Like a pair of old fuckin Grannies mate, we'll be discussing knitting patterns next ha, but I totally gt where you're coming from, prefer unflavoured whey to anything, so versatile .
    Very true mate, just sometimes I need to chew and eat otherwise I get a shitty taste in my mouth, probably doesn't make sense, but I suppose it's a satiety thing.