Nice And Horrible Countries You've Been To ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dirty Harry, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

Always had a soft spot for Greece, Stoupa especially, just total chill out way of life, beautiful sea, beaches and food and a generally higher percentage of happy, friendly and helpful people, always felt safe there (the main road outside the town aside lol)

Worst, I have to say is Marrakech in Morocco , I wouldn't even say it was a culture shock as such, but I just didn't get the place and how it worked, totally money orientated, begging/pleading for your business (money) constantly, whether in the Souks or out in the country, the extent was what shocked me most I guess, you could be half way up a 'deserted' mountain, and some fucker would appear from nowhere mithering you for money, the hotel, grounds, food and facilities though were excellent, was a bit of an oasis in the end.

Oh, and if you have any compassion for animal welfare, stay well clear.

2. spearman

spearman Elite Member

Naples was a shit hole. Really dirty and poverty everywhere.

3. Dirty Harry

A bit stabby too so I'm told.

4. commando

commando Elite Member

LMAO

i only really try to go to nice places. recently been to Hong Kong and Singapore, loved them both especially HK. loved Vegas, Edinburgh is a really nice city too.

traveled around Thailand i loved Bangkok and Chang Mai finished up in Patong and hated it with a passion it was just a full on shit hole, full of dick head aussies and russians. The place was just too full on and dirty really did hate it.

Riga in Latvia was a bit of a shit hole.

5. spearman

spearman Elite Member

Hong Kong is amazing!

Arterial Dan likes this.
  6. Arterial Dan

Arterial Dan Administrator Staff Member

Orlando - best holiday place I've been, by far (twice)

Rome - beautiful, lots of history, probably good as a romantic holiday too

Amsterdam - grimey, fun for 2 days, anything longer is fairly unbearable

London - Lots to do and see, but 2/3 days feels like enough

Warsaw - Liked the atomsphere there in the winter

Kalisz, Turek (Poland) - grimey, industrial, boring. People were nice. Not much to do or see.

Kaunas, Lithuania - run down, people are (or were) fairly hostile

Vilnius, Lithuania - beautiful, people still not too friendly

Tenerife - grand as budget holiday, get what you expect pretty much, overrun with louts tho

Granada, Spain - worth it for La Alhambra

Costa Del Sol, Spain - overrun, still pretty nice tho (usually go once a year)

Tangier, Morocco - horrible shithole - would never go back, I think the locals thought I was American which made it even worse

Budapest, Hungary - quite beautiful, but 2/3 days is enough, taxi men are a total rip off and public transport is kinda unworkable unless you're local

7. Arterial Dan

What was it that you loved about HK mate?

I've never really been outside Europe & Florida.
    Most places in Europe don't really appeal to me any longer. I get PTSD from Eastern Europe at this rate.
    I don't think Vegas would really be my thing - I don't gamble and I hate sex with condoms, lol!

Have been racking my brains to think of a place I might be interested in see and Tokyo seems to be the only place that really stands out.

8. Erny

Erny Member

Disneyworld florida was awesome as I'm from the UK. Mexico was paradise. Tunisia was nothing but poverty.

9. Dirty Harry

In what way Dan ?

Personally, I got a very anti western/sub class human vibe with many, I'd go so far as "scum of the earth" in a few cases too, it was pretty obvious.

Having said that, I know there's a generally good relationship with France and I did notice people were generally more accepting if I spoke in French (simple French that is) rather than English.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  10. commando

commando Elite Member

I really liked the atmosphere there a good mix of east meets west, loads going on, the food was fantastic i just had a great time there. Funny you mention Tokyo I'm currently trying to plant that seed with the mrs, its one place i really want to go.

Thought of another place that was wank.... Malia in crete full of wankers (mainly brits)

Arterial Dan likes this.
  11. Kratos

Kratos Elite Member

Egypt. Fucking shit hole full of disrespectful Arabs. Ended up fronting what I thought was one for grabbing my Mrs and then realising there was 6. Shit houses. Even Inow the airport the officials were asking for baksheesh or a little something for putting bag on conveyor belt. Should be wiped off the earth.
    Ditto Morocco. Actually fuck it.

Arterial Dan likes this.
  12. Arterial Dan

What was so good abuot Mexico mate?

Not one I'd ever considered

Totally agree on Disneyworld

13. Arterial Dan

What did you find amazing mate?

Assuming I was planning to go (alone), what should I do or see?

14. Arterial Dan

Exact same vibe Har, I actually went on a guided tour there from Estepona.
    Took the ferry over, it was a farce.

Basically took us to see a few camels (this was the best bit),
    then what was effectively an industrial dump (still don't know what it was 'supposed' to be)
    followed by a trip to the Kasbah (kip),
    down to a shitty restaurant (didn't touch the meat, couldn't trust it),
    where the tour organiser had his bit on the side do a revolting belly dance,
    followed by a trip to a shithole carpet place,
    followed by a trip to a snake oil pharmacy.

Between all these shithole pit-stops, we were hounded relentlessly by the shit-hawk street merchants, trying to flog us the most useless shit imaginable.

Due to build and clothing and mohawk - I stood out like a black man in Eastern Europe.
    Even the Brits seemed to think I was American.

I was with my ex-ex (the Russian cheat - it was her 30th birthday, at my pleasure), and there were 2 lovely Canadian older women, who basically clung onto me for protection.
    The street vendors were calling them whores and being really aggressive to them, because they refused to buy their crap.

At one point, a sub-saharan woman came up to me with her kid, begging.
    I gave her money to feed her kid.
    One of the locals actually thanked me, but then the shit-hawk merchants went into meltdown, because I gave her money but didn't want to buy their garbage.
    A swarm of 10 of them surrounded me and started screaming. I thought I was gonna be stabbed. Had to run for it.
    It was hideous.

At a few points walking around, I'd notice unemployed young lads just hanging around on corners, and they'd give me that stare and start muttering between themselves.
    I'd say they were imagining me in an orange jump suit.
    The vibe was not welcoming at all, at all, at all.

I spoke a little French and that didn't make much difference.
    I also had a smattering of Arabic (mainly from listening to Amr Diab) and that really bothered them. One of them tried to take the piss out of me, called me Habibi (darling), so I started shouting Habibi at him down the street, all the other shit rags laughed at him.

One of them actually had pretty decent Irish which was cool, but then he tried speaking to me in Polish, thinking I wouldn't understand, and I ran rings around him. That frustrated them.
    There was another that spoke pretty decent Russian too.

I think they were seriously bothered by the fact that some of us are polyglots.
    They seem to have it in their heads that we're all mono-lingual thickos and god knows what else they think of us.

The place was filthy and wreaked of shit too.

15. Dirty Harry

Lmao, sounds like a hoot mate, but that's very much along the same lines as my experience. I'd not even left the airport grounds and pretty much knew I'd probably never come back again, even on our day out in the Atlas mountains, we'd stop in the most desolate of places, and some fucker would appear out of a bush, (followed by his grandma and kids, complete with Barcelona/Messi shirts) selling crap, it was relentless, I even started giving them money just to fuck off in the end (which they moaned about lol), and yes, it really did stink of shit.

It hasn't stopped me wanting to explore and visit other countries though, just don't want anywhere that eat dogs or cats, that would be way too far for me.

Arterial Dan likes this.