Stevie's Journal

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by Stevie Campbell, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Stevie Campbell

Stevie Campbell Well-Known Member

Frozen shoulder sounds rough, is there anything that can be done to free it up?

I know myself I need to just tone it down a bit and take the time to build up overall strength again. I'm also pressing twice a week, and throwing in split jerks here and there so it's not surprising it's getting a bit angry.

I'll skip Saturdays session, stop doing any pressing/jerks mid week, and try to ride it out until end of January and reassess. Then I'll consider getting some guidance.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

I've tried one physio to no avail, need to try again but right now I'm paying £60 a week for my Mrs to have therapy so it will have to wait. Everything you read about frozen shoulders is that they just appear and then tend to disappear after about 2 years for no rhyme or reason.... but obviously I have to be special don't I LOL

3. Stevie Campbell

Pull 7/1

Shoulder really sore today, nothing is shifting it. Taking the weekend off, hopefully that helps.

BB deadlifts (double overhand)
    70kg x 8
    120kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    160kg x 3

180kg x 3
    180kg x 3
    180kg x 3

Will stick at 180kg for a bit, get the reps up.

Axle deadlift
    105kg x 5
    105kg x 5
    105kg x 5
    105kg x 5
    105kg x 5

Tried BOR but shoulder wasn't having it, so messed around with some cable work.

Cable Pulldown, High to Low (?)
    20kg x 25ish (lost count. stopped paying attention)
    40kg x 15
    40kg x 12

Doing this on a single pulley attached to pull up bar using a weird strap handle attachment so its quite strange, and hard on the hands. Also can't load up too heavy otherwise I go flying forward. With some tinkering might be more effective.

Single arm cable row
    10kg x 15
    15kg x 15
    20kg x 12

Doing this sitting backwards on a bench, set at a 45 degree incline. Again, could end up being quite good with some adjustments.

As the day has gone on (5 hrs later) discomfort has gotten quite bad, will do the usual to try and see it off, just worried I've aggravated an old issue, can't be dealing with this for weeks.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Ice and anti inflammatory?

Stevie Campbell likes this.
  5. Stevie Campbell

Exactly that mate, may get the massage gun out tomorrow depending on feel.

6. Stevie Campbell

Squats 10/1

Shoulder still giving me grief. Feeling a bit beat up overall, so going to take a bit of a deload this week, and just do what i can without pissing my shoulder off.

Squats (high bar, sleeves, basically gripping the plates so as not to have to compress my shoulder)

60kg x 8
    80kg x 8

100kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    100kg x 8

Front squats
    40kg 3 x 8

Hanging knee raises

Dead hangs
    x 30s
    x 30s

Assault Bike
    15 mins LISS

How dull.

7. Stevie Campbell

Push 13/11

Supposed to do this yesterday but work got in the way. No big deal as its a deload. Wasn't in the mood for this today, sleep was dreadful. Picked up a pair of 10kg and 12.5kg DB's and will keep gradually adding to collection.

Log press
    45kg x 8
    45kg x 8
    45kg x 8
    45kg x 8

Shoulder feeling okay, but kept log empty just in case.

BB OHP (with chain yoke attachment)
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 8
    40kg x 8

This is a strange one, weights are loaded on the pins hanging off either side, really forces you to stabilise throughout.

Ex bar bench press
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 10

DB Fly
    12.5kg x 12
    12.5kg x 12
    12.5kg x 12

Still a bit light, butl felt alright. Slow negatives made it a bit tougher. Can't remember the last time I had done any flies. Will keep these in as they feel great.

DB side raise
    7.5kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    12.5kg x 12

Tricep cable
    10kg x 20
    20kg x 15
    25kg x 8

DB front raises
    7.5kg x 12
    10kg x 12

These were a bit uncomfy on the shoulder.
    For pressing sessions going forward I definitely think I'll keep the weights lower and work in the 6-10 range, then gradually build up and hopefully get some strengthening in my shoulders.

8. Stevie Campbell

Pull 14/1

Final deload session. Not very eventful.

Deadlifts
    70kg x 8
    100kg x 5

120kg x 5 x 5

Easy enough.

cambered BOR
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 8

plate load cable rows
    20kg x 20
    40kg x 12
    40kg x 12

DB rear delt fly
    10kg x 12
    12.5kg x 12
    12.5kg x 10

facepulls
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12

DB hammer curl
    12.5kg x 6 x 4 (muscle round)

DB preacher curl (each arm)
    10kg x 10
    10kg x 8

Assault Bike
    15 mins LISS

Trying to incorporate cardio gradually, it bores me senseless. Absolutely despise it, probably down to my terrible attention span.

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

What do you do for cardio. I don't really like it in a gym setting. I'd rather go for a 5kwalk or something. I'm not fussed about high intensity cardio

10. Stevie Campbell

I get 10-12k steps in a day from walking the dog mate, and more at weekends when we can fit in longer walks. I work from home so fairly sedentary, any additional cardio would be gym based.

I've got the assault bike there so I'm going to tack on cardio after sessions, gradually increase it, whether it remains LISS or I mix it up. I've got some battle ropes which I enjoy doing HIT with but they can irritate joints so haven't done them much of late. Plus garage is a bit more cluttered with kit than it was so I don't quite have the space to stretch them out.

I'm going to add in farmers walks when the weather permits, and probably pick up a sandbag for carries too. I have a chain yoke for the barbell, so I can technically do yoke walks, but setting it up is a bugger, as is getting into position on them so I just sacked them off. I'd like a proper yoke but again, space is becoming limited. However when I did do them it was very taxing.

11. Stevie Campbell

Push 17/1

Wasn't supposed to be push today, but ive done something to my foot going up and down ladders at the weekend, so putting weight on it is quite sore. Turn 30 and day to day tasks are enough to get injured.
    Bloody freezing in the garage today.

Axle strict press
    35kg x 8
    45kg x 5

55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 5

Toying with idea of next session go up to 60kg for 5x3, then next session do 60kg for 5x5. Rinse and repeat. Just not sure how to structure progression.

Ex bar bench
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    80kg x 8

Close grip ex press
    50kg x 12
    50kg x 12
    50kg x 12

These are brutal on the triceps.

DB fly
    12.5kg x 15
    12.5kg x 15
    12.5kg x 15

Done these 3 supersetted for a laugh, 1min 30s rest between each round.

Side raise 12.5kg x 15 / 12 / 10
    Front raise 10kg x 15 / 12 / 10
    1-Arm plate load tricep ext 10kg x 15 / 15 / 15

Then threw the empty monster dumbbell up for a few, purely to get the feel of it again. Havent touched it since annoying my shoulder, so it was more about getting past the fear. My findings were as follows;

- When its empty its light enough to be really snappy with the leg drive/jerk. I'm sure my feet actually come off the floor while throwing it up, not sure if thats a good thing or not.

- Its much easier to drop and reset having proper drop pads instead of an old scabby tire.

- Positioning is still a bit iffy when its on my shoulder so need to work on that.

- Tried wearing a belt for a couple reps - seemed to help me brace. I generally avoid belt where I can.

- Even at the end of a session where shoulders/triceps are tired, even though its only 35kg empty, if the jerk is decent it isn't too taxing on the delts/tricep. Be a different story if it was strict pressing it, or maybe if it was heavier.

- Will continue to work both arms, rather than rely on one. I think I had done 10-12 or so reps each side today, wasn't counting. Weirdly enough my left seems much stronger than my right, despite being right handed.

Quite knackered now, suspect I'll be feeling this for a couple days. Only took a little over an hour.

12. Stevie Campbell

Also bought a mirafit yoke today. It's 70kg empty, and I think if my maths is right I have the plates to load up to 310kg. Not that I think I'll get anywhere near that for a while.

Plan is to do Deadlift/Press/Squat Mon/Wed/Fri and then use Saturdays for events/conditioning (weather dependent). Thinking something like;

Log
    Farmers
    Yoke
    Monster DB

Maybe zercher yoke carries to mimic sandbag carries. Might very well have to scale back volume during the week depending on recovery.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  13. Stevie Campbell

Pull 19/1

Weight 110.5kg - 2.3kg down. Slow steady decrease to around 105kg would be nice. Steps are going to drop as dogs picked up an injury so reduced exercise for a week.

Deadlifts (went with mixed grip for a change, no straps)
    70kg x 5
    120kg x 5

140kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    140kg x 3
    140kg x 6

BOR
    70kg x 5 (tried pendlay style rows, did not work)
    70kg x 10
    70kg x 10

SLDL
    70kg x 8
    90kg x 8
    90kg x 8

First time doing these, just feeling it out. Lower back takes a bit of a kicking with these. Not sure if I'm a fan. Hamstrings dont get any other work though so really should stick it out. Times like this I miss a hamstring curl.

Hanging knee raise

Rear delt fly
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12
    10kg x 12

Assault Bike LISS 15mins
    _______

14. Stevie Campbell

Events 22/1

Skipped squats yesterday as knees were achy and knew I was doing this today. Not planning going too heavy, just getting a feel for doing all these movements in one session and getting a frame reference for weight. Stretch of ground I use is 18m, so anything 36m is there, drop, turn, back.

Log Press (clean each rep)
    45kg x 3
    55kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    75kg x 3

Felt heavier than it should. Decided not to go heavier as still had a long session ahead.

Yoke Walk
    70kg x 36m
    120kg x 36m
    170kg x 18m
    210kg x 18m
    250kg x 15m

Last set was brutal. Had 1 drop, and on second drop just couldnt pick it back up. I cant imagine the last run looked pretty because it felt disgusting. Will keep at 210kg max for sets for a bit.

Zercher Yoke Carry (empty yoke to kind of mimic sandbag carries)
    70kg x 36m
    70kg x 36m
    70kg x 36m
    70kg x 36m

I really like these. 19.55s on the last run. can easy knock time off with better pick ups.

Farmers
    60kg x 36m
    100kg x 18m
    100kg x 18m

Couldn't be bothered lugging more plates out so just jamp straight into 100kg. Pick up fine, moved okay, weight could go up a bit.

DB
    35kg x 3 / 3
    Pulled something in right hand, cant move thumb. Left arm only from here on.
    45kg x 1
    50kg x 1 (PR)

55kg x 0
    55kg x 1 (PR)
    Shat it a bit on the first attempt, and used my free hand to stabilise. Dropped, quick reset, and fired it up.

60kg x 0
    Thought I'd chance it. No way that was happening. Still absolutely delighted with the two PR's, especially at the end of a session.

2 hours all in all. CBD bath on the cards later.

15. Stevie Campbell

Push 24/1

Feeling like I've been hit by a train after Saturday.
    Working at about 65-70%, still just winging it.

Axle press (single clean, push press)
    35kg x 5
    45kg x 5

60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Log Press (single clean, push press / jerk if need be)
    45kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

57.5kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5

Not fun after doing these on Saturday.

BB Chain OHP
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5

Ex Bench Press
    40kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    70kg x 10

DB Fly / Close grip ex bar bench (superset)
    10kg x 10 / 40kg x 10
    10kg x 10 / 40kg x 4 > 20kg x 6
    10kg x 10 / 30kg x 10
    10kg x 10 / 30kg x 10

Finished off with giant set, 3 rounds, 10-12 reps per exercise of;

side raises
    front raises
    face pulls
    swiss hammer curls