The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

My final 'going through the motions' session of this week

Flat DB Press: x20x, 10x30s, 40s x6, 6, 6
    Cable Fly (lo-hi): #4x8, 8, 8
    Iso Row (o/h grip): 70x6, 7, 6
    Pull Down (under Grip): #12x7, 7, 7
    Hammer Rope Curl: #7x8, 8, 8
    Decline Skulls: 32.5x10, 10, 10
    Rope Bar Ext, split: #5x8, 8, 8

All smooth, controlled, paused, tempoed and easy enough. Back on next week altho it will still be slightly reserved but all good. Started the week at 104.6, finished it at 102.6.

[/tube]

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Back on it today and put some decent work in from the start.

Front Squats: 8x40, 6x60, 3x80, 90x13, 10, 10, 8
    Face In Hack Squats: +100x12, 10, 8, 8
    Seated Row Hams: #20x20, #22x15, 11, 12
    Smith Calves: 105x12, 10, 10, 10, 9
    Preacher EZ: 35x10, 9, 8, 7

Moving well today, shoulder felt half decent and knees playing ball. FS get elevated to Monday now, only catch was I kept referring to my smith squat for required weight. On the plus side, there weren't far off on each other anyway so I was still up. In fact last block 90 was week 2 for 4 less reps. Hack squats still in, still facing in too but a lower stance set up. 100 is where I finished last block, lower stance made it harder still hit decent enough reps for RPE. Seated ham rows also being rocked, weight right up and started with a different foot position, wasn't right tho so dropped down but repping out the full stack here so will likely have to drop these after this cycle. Calved went fine, heavier start but reps still moving well. Finishing on preachers still for this session, really focused movement today and shorter rests, knew about that. Gym picking up by the end with a lot of unfamiliar faces being a bank holiday, and some prettier faces too which was nice.

3. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Feeling very good about my shoulder ATM, pain is the best it's been for ages, still not 100% on the mobility front and still some grinding in there but daily function is improving. That can all be undone with a push session tho LOL

Flat DB Press: 7x15s, 7x25s, 5x32.5s, 42.5s x13, 11, 10, 9
    Bent Over X Over: #6x20, 17, 13, 12
    Laying DB ext/JM: 12.5s x20, 15s x13, 10, 9
    Push Downs (Wide): #12x15, 12, 13
    Seated Smith OH Press: 60x10, 50x10, 11, 11
    Iso SLR: +10x19, 14, 13

Fairly strong session considering. DB work was week 2 weight last block and hit and was up in reps (altho 1 set down due to week 1 requirements) and don't think I over did the reps too much. Shoulder felt half decent too. Cable work was surprisingly good, weight was up on schedule and so were reps, easily so, and again shoulder behaved well. Rest was slightly abbreviated too. Moved laying DB work up to 1st for triceps, JM style suits the shoulder stability better and reps moved fairly well with a weight increase for the week, tempo was good and ROM on the money. Switched in pushdown with a normal grip (done parallel for 2 cycles) but went wide on the handles, did a couple of extra sets building up to get the right weight but all good. For shoulders I braved the smith machine, started a bit heavy (if I want to progress over the weeks without pain), could feel too much clunking so dropped down and got better work on 50kg. Kept my iso SLR work in, good increase weight wise for week 1 and repped no problem. Interestingly weight was up a full kg on yesterday, see how the week goes.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Updated back session today and all went well even tho I somehow had DOMS from yesterday.

Hammer Row: 8x40, 7x60, 80x14, 12, 10, 11
    Incline Rope PDs: #10x11, 10, 9, 9
    Rear Delt (Pec Dec): #5x24, #6x14, 13, 10
    Upright Rows (3/4): 32.5x16, 14, 13
    BB Curls (Wide): 32.5x14, 11, 10
    Singe Arm Cables: #3x10, 13, 12, 12

Chins moved to Friday this block and Hammer rows moved up to today. Strong start on these, parallel grip rather than o/h this time and really hit the lats well for week 1. Interesting new exercise next, pull downs facing down on a bench using the rope attachments, great ROM, huge contraction at the bottom with a paused squeeze for good measure. Rear delt work stayed on the pec dec altho reps came really easy far more reps than I was expecting for the weight. Upright rows went narrower grip this block and with last cycle's week 2 weight, that moved well, shoulder pretty tolerant of it all. Bicep work was also using last time's week 2 and reps moved nicely enough for what was needed.

5. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Weird one today, had a plan but kind of didn't, got sidetracked then finally got it all together

Back Squats, Tempo: 8x60, 6x80, 4x100, 110x12, 10, 8, 8
    Hack DLs: 70x20, 80x15, 14, 15
    Hamstring Curls: #8x13, 10, 8, 8
    Seated Calf Raise: 8x40, 55x17, 15, 14, 14, 13
    Hack SL: 80x18, 18, 18

Got off to a good start, knees moving well, shoulder held bar nicely altho I went with a super wide grip. This seems to make a high bar more comfortable and doesn't grind on my vertebrae in my neck. But anyway, aim was quad focus and it certainly felt that way. Form felt on the money, nice and deep, good tempo and pause and for 2+ months out of BS I knew I'd dome the job. Things went awry after that, thought I'd try and improvise a belt squat, couldn't do it, not without a lot of pain and discomfort which if it is bad in week 1 will only get worse. This cost me a lot of time, then snapped out of it and did some hack deads... interesting, I don't seems to have the best structure as I hit my caves, hams and arse during the lift despite trying not to but I'll keep going. Would have been harder without faffing for so long before hand but all good, certainly popped the quads a bit. Ham curls next, machine back working so done the normal way, looking for 90deg and peaking that contraction. Finished off with seated calves, reps here were way up on what I expected (that's what not doing squats, lunges and DLs does for you) really surprised, who knows, they may grow.... pah! I say finished off, I felt I hadn't really done enough so banged out some hack machine SL stuff, just getting a good stretch. Weighed 104 today

6. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Today's session was a bit of a shocker... in a good way.

Inc DB Press, 30deg: 10x15s, 8x25s, 35s x18, 13, 11, 10
    Cable Fly (lo-hi): #4x15, 11, 11, 10
    Chins: 8, 6, 6, 6
    V bar Row, Landmine: x50, 75x10, 10, 8, 8
    Hammer Rope Curl: #8x15, 13, 11, 10
    Decline Skulls: 40x18, 13, 12, 10
    Rope Bar Ext, split: #4x12, 12, 11, 12

Got going with a bit of mobility and was feeling fairly good there. Inc DB was the order of the day, dropped the inc down to 30 as I've done a few cycles of 45deg. Felt good and felt strong, repped the first set for what felt like forever so rest was slightly limited after that to keep the work hard. Hi Lo flyes matched the same starting weight as last block but reps were well up and felt good, rest was also tight on these too. Chins moved well, shoulder Ok with them, control was spot on and got good reps for week 1. V bar work started off feeling a little heavier than anticipated (it was up to week 2 weight) but didn't fall off like I feared so all good. Went heavier on the rope work for biceps with hardly any drop in performance. Skulls were very odd, don't ask why but I started on the weight I finished on last cycle and with reps in the tank I still out repped what I did 2 weeks ago and there was no deterioration in tech at all. Finished with rope triceps getting a pull apart at the end.

7. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Weighed 104.4 at the start of my session, 103.4 at the end.

Front Squats: 8x40, 6x60, 3x80, 95x13, 11, 10, 9
    Face In Hack Squats, Feet Lo: +105x12, 9, 8, 8, 8
    Seated Row Hams: #22x10, 9, 8, 8
    Smith Calves: 110x13, 12, 10, 10, 10, 9/10
    Preacher EZ: 37.5x10, 9, 8, 8, 8

Straight in with the leg work today, shoulder seems to benefit from a long weekend free from drills it seems but did some PWO instead. FS moving well from the start. 5kg up this week and repping easily altho right side showing some twinging signs for some reason. Hacks up next, face in but feet right down the bottom, oh my, quad fest here, fried them, up on last weeks weight but foot position killed repping ability. Ham rows were tough today, kept ROM locked in on hams more which may explain the repping woes, also rests were a bit more brief and -ve was sloooooow. Calves went well tho, weight up and reps kept coming nicely. Finally some preacher work, maybe could have been a bit easier but very slow tempo negatives and keeping rest down didn't help again here.

8. s man

s man Elite Member

All caught up. Strong work going on matey and liking some of the new exercises choices. Could see the focused contraction on that rope LPD especially. Looked like it took everything out of the movement and focused it all on lats alone

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Yeah, one of my better exercise discoveries that one, not had such a full ROM even going warm up light on LPD

10. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Bit of a slog today but a good session was had. Got parents evening later so doing my update early sat here in the sunshine squinting at my keyboard cos I can't see sh!t. But at least I'm getting a tan (read 'sun-burnt')

Flat DB Press: 7x15s, 7x25s, 5x35s, 45s x12, 10, 9, 9, 7
    Bent Over X Over: #7x16, 11, 10, 10
    Laying DB ext/JM: 17.5s x15, 12, 10, 10
    Push Downs (Wide): #13x16,13, 11, 11
    Seated Smith OH Press: 60x10, 9, 9, 9
    Iso SLR: +15x14, 13, 12, 12

Started slightly optimistically using the 45s this early on but easily exceeded volume on last week in the end altho I can't say the work itself was easy as such. 90deg X overs was also an eager weight jump (IIRC I finished on this weight last cycle) anyway, only 4 sets needed and it was a good enough job. DBJM went fine, shoulder a bit better this week with these, movement feels good, weight was up and reps were fine. Push downs also felt good for the extra weight, really locked these in. Was working in on the smith so while last week 60 felt a bit much for reps and the shoulder I couldn't be arsed with mucking about so had in mind to play the reps safe and not worry, turned out this week was much better, no major worries and volume was actually up (by the tiniest of margins). SLRs to close, weight up and reps good, still like these a lot.

May have used this title before but don't have the time today

11. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Reet tasty pull session today

Hammer Row: 8x40, 7x60, 90x12, 10, 10, 10, 10
    Incline Rope PDs: #10x12, 11, 11, 10, 10
    Rear Delt (Pec Dec): #6x18, 16, 15, 12
    Upright Rows (3/4): 35x16, 14, 13, 12
    BB Curls (Wide): 35x13, 11, 10, 9
    Singe Arm Cables: #3x13, 13, 12, 12

Everything moved quite nicely this morning. Hammer rows took a jump in weight, more than anticipated but I was letting my ego step in as I was working in. Turned out fine tho and form was still bang on. Rope LPD stayed the same weight after this tho, thought it best, extra reps and set tho so more work in there as required. Rear delts burned out nicely on the pec dec, good focused reps and sets there and a nice pump. Extra weight on the upright work and no drop in reps at all plus an extra set, shoulder behaved quite well too especially after pushing it yesterday. Curls felt good, bit of back cramping so stuck my belt on for a couple of sets but otherwise good and strong. Finished with single arm crucifix stuff, this also causes a little cramping but reps came OK, shoulder no clunking as much as last week and reps went well.

12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Upped my game on last week and also a minor adjustment.

Back Squats, Tempo: 8x60, 6x80, 4x100, 120x11, 9, 8, 8
    Hack DLs: 70x20, 90x16, 13, 12, 12
    Hamstring Curls: #9x14, 10, 8, 7, 6
    Seated Calf Raise: 8x40, 60x17, 15, 12, 13, 12, 12
    Decline BB Skulls: 45x15?, 13, 11, 10
    Rope Push Down, Split: #5x12, 11, 10, 10, 10

Started off with my right knee feeling a bit twingy, in a give way sort of way. Thankfully it didn't and it seemed to improve as I progressed. Initially had my work sets up by 5kg ready to go, then for some reason persuaded myself to go to 120 instead. Fortunately it went better than I feared. Great quad focus, nice tech. Nearly did a 5th set but I had gone up in volume by the end of 4 (only by 100 or so KG but still) so saved myself for hacks. These were up 10kg on last week, tech much better but I do have to remember to sit back into it and not DL it. Hit the quads over the top quite hard. Hammies up next, bit of a wait as 2 lads were supersetting ext and curls so it would have been an arse ache to work in but once on I managed to hit them well enough. Ditched the Hack SL work, I'll increase volume on the curls over the weeks. Calfs were fine, weight up and plenty of decent reps put away. Then I moved tomorrows tricep work up a day, Friday sessions are a bit long considering I am meant to do a day shift at work, I also have a day at the hospital next week with the wife and this will let me get in early and do the essential bits easier. So skulls went well, quite strong being fresher altho still fatigued overall few reps up on target volume. Rope splits felt alright, still not my favourite TBH but I'll see them thru, form and tech was fine tho.

13. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Thanks to moving triceps to yesterday today was bound to be a nice quick session.... meh, maybe not, somehow still stretched it out to nearly 2hrs again LOL

Inc DB Press, 30deg: 10x15s, 8x25s, 37.5s x17, 14, 11, 10, 9
    Cable Fly (lo-hi): #5x13, 11, 10, 9, 9
    Chins: 9, 7, 7, 7, 7
    V bar Row, Landmine: x50, 80x12, 10, 9, 8, 7
    Hammer Rope Curl: #9, 12, 10, 9, 9, 9

Not as quick as I should have been but a good bit of volume and work done regardless. Inc DB moving nicely today, weight but but not too crazily and hit reps nicely holding tech to the required standard. Lo-Hi Xovers went well for the extra load, hit reps a bit but the extra set took care of any issues there. Chins were as form conscious as usual for a bit of extra load being moved. V bar rows went quite well, wasn't too cure on tech last week but for the extra weight and work this week it certainly didn't go backwards. Quickly blasted out some rope curls and the pump was complete. Again nearly a kg lost during the session. 103.6 at the start, 102.8 at the end. It is what it is.

14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Booked out holiday yesterday, mrs wouldn't wait last minute altho TBH there aren't the deals now that there used to be. Got a nice platinum deal with TUI in Menorca. Once seats were selected and insurance was done etc it was still £2400 but it was coming up at closer to 2.8. Bit more than we wanted to spend but it does look a bit posh, Menorca is a bit more chilled and if the Mrs health doesn't improve it could be our last decent holiday without complications. Young girl took about £400 off due to the online and in store price difference,she gave us her family discount (we always see the same girl and while I'm sure they always have these discounts to swing she has always looked after us well)

11wks and counting.... guess I may have to cut at some point now LOL

15. s man

s man Elite Member

That’s a good price for Platinum. You can wait a few more weeks and you might get the last minute massive all inclusive reductions but it’s dodgy as hell. The seats will be all booked and you risk being sat all separate or nothing good actually coming up.

Sorry to hear about the other half. I’ve been through a fair bit with the wife and breast cancer as well as my parents having various cancers and my Mrs father has lung cancer at the moment. It’s all shit. There’s no other way of describing it so you’ve just got to hang in there and do all you can to support her. You also have plenty of nutritional knowledge to lean on and I’ve been lucky enough to see first hand how changing someone’s diet can really assist in the treatment processes so get reading. If nothing else it helps you to feel like you’re doing something and keeps things positive in my experience