The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Weight held fairly steady all this week so may have to reconsider upping cals yet again. Finished last block hovering around 104-5 and this week have been pretty much 104 all week so a few hundred more again may help give me another couple of kgs. We'll see how I start next week off. Good session today tho, shoulder not it's best but new exercises could have triggered some tightness in response so I'll keep an eye on that.

Flat BB Bench: 8x40, 60, 5x80, 90x12, 10, 10
    X Over: #5x16, 12, 12, 15
    Lat Pull Down: 8x#10, #13x12, 11, 12
    Wide X Pulley High Row: #8x15, 13, 13+3, 12+4
    Smith Drag Curls: 30x15, 13, 12, 12+2

Despite starting a bit warily BB work went ok, 90 was a sound starting point, first set was nicely tempoed and paused, last set was a little quicker perhaps but still on point. No issues while benching so that was good. X Overs were on the money, using the DB to brace for tightness and nailing perfect form made for a great pump and stretch. Reps a little all over the place due to people in the way but all good. LPD were a bit twingey which is odd as chins were always fine so may fine tune tech a but here but form was as it should be, weight was good and lats working. Bit of a work in progress experimental improv row variation next, I liked it, maybe not the best stretch but a good squeeze, finished the last 2 sets with some single arm reps as they are easier so a simple way to pop in more volume without exceeding RIR. Wrapped the session up with drag curls again but today was on the smith, like that option, felt good.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Well, Mrs had her Social meeting this morning. Sh!t could well be hitting the fan. They've trying to get a meeting with her but certain others were less forthcoming in arranging it (altho they should have our details if they were that keen). He's been told on more than one occasion to grow a pair and move out with the baby by the family support team due to her blatant neglect (more emotional, mildly physical but nothing abusive, she just doesn't really do anything, but he's hardly a grade A Dad either) and that they'd be behind him but he just makes excuses not to (centred around being there for her - clearly how he appears as a BF is more important than how he appears as a Dad).

Very muggy morning for a leg session again but needs must, and after trying shorts on for the holiday yesterday and finding many quite snug in the leg (and waist but we'll not focus on that right now LOL) I feel maybe these sessions are working sticking with. Morning weigh in 104.8 (PWO weigh in 103.6)

Calf Press: 10x80, 140, 190x15, 12, 12, 11, 11, 10
    Leg Press: 8x200, 250x16, 14, 12, 11, 11
    Back Squat: 5x60, 80, 115x9, 7, 7, 6
    Ham Curl: #9x15, 10, 9, 8, 8
    Drag Curl (EZ bar): 37.5x11, 11, 9, 9, 9

Calf work seems like a nice start to these sessions, lulls you in to a false sense of security that it's not too demanding. All moved well, weight up and reps on point and rest about 60secs. Leg press was were the sweat fest began, deep controlled reps again, up 10kg and reps also up with an extra set too, by the end I wasn't confident squats would go well at all. Took a minute to gather myself and even manned up enough to up the weight. Started quite well matching the reps from before, set 3 saw me get an extra one out so I figured I could muster a 4th set - that will probably be my max sets for the duration, press will likely go up tho. Ham curls moved nice, up a pin and pretty clean reps for the increase. Drag curls to finish with altho I seemed to have rather uncomfortable pulling in my right forearm, no idea why but had it from the start, finished the job tho and up in reps. Rehab work, stretching and some ab rolls to wrap things up.

3. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Another humid and muggy day, so I should be in fine 'warmed up' shape for a good session.

Incline DB Press (30deg): 10x15, 10x25, 40s x15, 13, 10, 9, 9
    Incline fly Twist: 12.5s x17, 14, 13, 14, 13
    Wide Grip Push Down: #14x20, 15, 13, 12
    Smith JM Press: 52.5x12, 11, 11, 10
    Smith OH Press: 50x12, 57.5x10, 9, 9
    Laying Cable SLR: #3x14, 12, 10, 9

Moving freely on the warm ups so the mobility drills still working. 40s went quite nicely, more RIR than last block and more rep so that's a sure fire win. Flyes appreciated the extra weight, had to watch yesterday's niggled bicep a bit on the stretch, reps took a hit but pecs hit fine. Push down weight was up, reps were up, not sure what the game is there. Just a small increase on the JM work which was fine, not everything will set the world alight but still repped out nicely. Messed up OH a bit, started too light but went u after that so volume increase had been successfully accomplished by the end (shoulder feeling these a bit more than the other work). Slight delay for cable SLRs as 3 of walked up to the them at the same time, altho I was a second behind due to grabbing the bench, but I waited, not long, and got the job done, decent rep increase here.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

More upper body work this morning and more humid mugginess. Thankfully that weird bicep niggle I picked up Monday, while still there, wasn't a limiting factor in anything in today's session.

Rope Lat Pull Down: 2x 10x#6, 4x#8, #10x14, 11, 9, 9, 9
    BB Row: 10x60, 90x12, 11, 9, 9, 8
    High Rear Pull: #3x16, 15, 12, 12
    BB Shrugs: 5x60, 105x16, 14, 13
    DB Curls: 15s+1kg x14, 11, 10, 9
    Preacher Plate Curls: 30x11, 9, 9, 8

Started off well, bit of mobility work and shoulder felt surprisingly good extended for the rope pull down sets, kept a tight brace and hit lats well with an extra pin, extra reps and an extra set. Avoided the rowing misload and upped the main sets with an extra set in there, and again these repped nice and true and felt really good with form holding together still. Did my high rear pulls with the ropes this week (think I used handles last week), there was a moment of pulling on the bicep but it was brief and went fine. Shrugs up well, no need for an extra set here today as volume was 600kg up and adding in the prior sets I was doing fine, good pull, squeeze and stretch tho. DB curls were played sensibly with the bicep in mind, just grabbed a small 1kg DB to add to the 15s I used last week, still close to 10% increase, sets and reps all good. Kept plate preachers the same weight as they weren't easy last week and that played out about right, do like these just a shame my plate don't have those handle holes in them.

5. s man

s man Elite Member

Sod it I've got to give those plate preacher curls a go tomorrow. Love how deep you can go with them and also looks very wrist friendly as opposed to e-z preacher. Solid work and progression all week matey.

6. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

I really like, if you have plates with the grip holes in them they'll be better I think. No wrist pain at all, nor any bicep niggle irritation, it is more a hammer style action tho

Today's session went and felt better than I was expecting, which is always a nice surprise. Helped by a slightly cooler breeze taking the edge off the mugginess no doubt.

Safety Bar Squats: 8x60, 6x80, 115x10, 9, 8, 7 paused
    Leg Extension: 8x#10, #12x20, 16, 15, 14
    Safety Bar Good Morning: 5x60, 100x12, 11, 10, 10
    Donkey Calf: +85kg x18, 14, 13, 13, 11
    Dips: weight behind +16kg x15, 12, 11, 10
    Xover Extension: #2+4kg x15, 13, 12, 11, 10

Once warmed up I wasn't 100% confident where to go with SSB work, last week wasn't easy. Wanted to keep an honest pause still, eventually manned up for the extra 5kg with the optional extra set if volume was left short. As it turned out it wasn't, reps moved well and volume was on target, still did an extra set anyway. Leg ext were easy today, maybe due to a little bit of chattting as I moved over to them but once going rest was kept to a minute between sets, 2 pins up and repped for fun, altho form resulted in the last few suddenly getting painful. More reps and more sets, just what the Broctor ordered. Getting carried away now and SSB GMs went up 10kg. Wondered if this would see the sciatic woes return but it didn't and all the reps went OK, and up on what I did with 90. Calf work burned well, up 5kg and reps kept up. Triceps, for once, seemed quite shoulder friendly. Upped dips weight and reps moved no worries and felt much better than last week. Xover ext to finish them off, used a DB to meet the weight jump half way and while clearly harder still managed to push the reps out pretty well.

7. s man

s man Elite Member

Was thinking I’d do them instead of rope hammer so that’s music to the ears.

Moving on nicely on the leg sessions matey. Next time you do the xover try and add a twist at the bottom like you would with a rope push down bending your wrist away from your body. It may mean the weight goes down a little but it creates a crazy full contraction in the triceps. Bloody hurts though and they end up full for about 30 minutes which is all good for the gun show on my walk to the station!

8. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Shall bear that in mind my swole brother

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Weight still lurking mid 104s, will look to change this over the next 2 weeks. May well look to replace my complicated pre-bad snack of toast, weetabix, ryvita etc etc with a simple bowl of oats. May also add a small serving of oats to a couple of other meals once I've done the maths. Anyway, that's not the fun stuff, training today was as follows

Flat BB Bench: 8x40, 60, 5x80, 95x12, 10, 10, 9
    X Over: #5+4kg x16, 12, 11, 10, 10
    Lat Pull Down: 8x#10, #13+4kg x12, 11, 10, 9
    Wide X Pulley High Row: #9x15, 10, 9, 10, 11
    Smith Drag Curls: 32.5x17, 14, 13, 12, 11

Everything moving as it should this morning which was nice. Bench went alright, upped by 5 which in theory should have cost me more but repped OK, probably drew the rest out a few secs longer but still good. Reps matched plus a set. Xovers used a 4kg DB to avoid a full pin increase so reps stayed high, pretty much on point with that, repped well and another set in there. Same weight increase on LPD and shoulder took these on better than I can remember of late, reps were decent and 4 set for good measure. Sticking with the high pulley row for now too, DB to hold the bench in place and these were good, maybe not the best stretch but a good squeeze. Weight up, set up reps acceptable. Bit hesitant with the earlier in the week bicep niggle when dragging stepping up to smith drag, turned out I had nothing to worry about, weight up, reps up, set up and biceps repped out no worries.

10. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Here's interesting. Weighed 104.8 last Monday, 104.2 on Friday..... 105.4 today Evening oats FTW LOL PWO weight was 104.4. Tough session today, volume creeping up and it was hot, but thankfully not too humid so a bit more tolerable.

Calf Press: 10x80, 140, 200x16, 15, 13, 13, 12, 13, 12
    Leg Press: 8x200, 260x18, 14, 13, 12, 12
    Back Squat: 5x60, 80, 120x10, 8, 7, 7
    Ham Curl: #9+4kg x15, 10, 9, 8, 8
    Drag Curl (EZ bar): 37.5x12, 11, 10, 10, 9

Starting with calves seems good. A) they probably need the priority but B) nice to get something out of the way that primes me but doesn't take too much energy. Weight, sets and reps all up so money here. Leg press work up 10kg (almost went more and maybe should have but decided reps would be good for me). Managed a few extra reps with the extra weight so opted not to put the extra set in this week. Quads were burning too so all good. That said, needed to take a minute or 5 before squatting. Legs were still feeling it but went for the extra 5kg anyway, very pleased to still get a good 3 extra reps with the extra load and form held true too.... maybe an extra set should have been done somewhere after all. Ham curls with an extra weight on the stack for a half plate increase went OK, seem to always tire quickly after the 1st set but just about held on getting equal reps for more weight. Drag curls this week were fine on the bicep, with particular attention to not letting the wrists fall back to keep maximum bicep focus. Abs, rehab and stretching to finish.

11. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Nice breeze in the air this morning on the way to the gym, this didn't seem to make it thru the gym tho, even with both end shutters open so altho not a humid one it was certainly warm. Cold still there but not too bad so no issue training on it. Still weighing 105 too.

Incline DB Press (30deg): 10x15, 10x25, 40s x17, 13, 12, 11, 11
    Incline fly Twist: 17.5s x19, 15, 14, 13, 14
    Wide Grip Push Down: #15x18, 15, 13, 12, 12
    Smith JM Press: 55x12, 11, 10, 9, 8
    Smith OH Press: 60x11, 9, 8, 8
    Laying Cable SLR: #3+4kg x14, 9, 10, 10, 10

Incline work behaving nicely still, nothing more than the odd background twinge in the shoulder (bit annoying that there's still something there). No rush to up weight this week as next week will see the need for +1 set so that's for next week, instead I wanted the reps and the 5 sets saw 8 extra reps so that was definitely a good result. Twist flyes were up a weight and also managed to get more reps too so didn't push more sets here either (not while I have this cold, seemed sensible). Upped push downs, dropped an initial couple of reps but then held steady but did go a set up here. Same for JM work, altho everything went fine with extra weight I felt good for another set too. Back on to 60 for the OHP, shoulder took this fairly well, repped it out OK, maybe a bit closer to ME than is ideal but we'll see for sure next week I guess. Finally SLRs on the laying cable, switched between gripping the handles and the cables, definitely harder on the cables so with the weight increase I stuck with gripping the handles, good reps and up a set too.

12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

The sun took a bit longer this morning to break thru so much of today's session was less of a sweat fest. Shoulder not a big fan of reaching OH today which made this interesting but came good when it mattered. No real pain, just lots of clunking noises.

Rope Lat Pull Down: 2x 10x#6, 4x#8, #10+4kg x13, 11, 11, 10, 10, 9
    BB Row: 10x60, 95x12, 11, 10, 9, 9
    High Rear Pull: #3+2kg x16, 14, 13, 12, 12
    BB Shrugs: 5x60, 110x20, 15, 14, 13
    DB Curls: 17.5s x14, 11, 10, 9, 9
    Preacher Plate Curls: 30x12, 10, 10, 9, 8

Jumped straight in today, maybe that's why the shoulder wasn't on point at the start even tho I don't spend long it obviously is just enough. Anyway. Weight up on rope PDs, moved well in the end, added a DB rather than a full pin so I can get some good extra volume in next week too even with an extra set today. Just an extra 5 on rows but form held true and reps were up. High rears started awkward but once the shoulder settled in they finished decently. Added a 2kg DB to the weight, reps held on and a set extra. Shrugs were odd, up in weight and reps flew like nothing, well up on last week, very controlled and another set. Arms never need much of increase to change the game, DB curls were tough to keep volume up but it was there in the end dragging a few extra secs rest in. Plate preachers went better than I thought they would tho, these feel on the money every time, do like them. Same weight again tho just more reps/volume.

13. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Dunno what was up with today, felt positively fresh on my brief cycle ride to the gym, picked the rack by the open shutter and there was a lovely cool breeze, but fvck me, I as sweating non-stop from my 3rd warm up set onwards

Safety Bar Squats: 8x60, 6x80, 3x100, 120x10, 10, 9, 8 paused
    Leg Extension: #14x19, 14, 13, 11, 11
    Safety Bar Good Morning: 5x60, 100x14, 13, 12, 11, 11
    Donkey Calf: +90kg x20, 17, 14, 14, 15, 14
    Dips: weight behind +18kg x14, 12, 11, 9, 9
    Xover Extension: #2+4kg x17, 13, 13, 11, 11, 11

Squats went quite well, which was nice as I couldn't face a 5th set today LOL weight up 5kg and reps up 3 with a nice enough pause. Leg extensions went up 2 pins after last week's rep fest, no worries with that reps not dramatically down and another set put in. SSB GMs I'm not loving ATM lower back just feels obliterated and hams don't feel like they're getting enough, perhaps drop weight and go deeper on reflection I'll see, could be my leverage isn't favourable or my tendency to be a high puller for DLs means it's an odd feel. Anyway, same weight and more work so every cloud, just hated every rep and set LOL Donkey work is getting awkward now, lots of plates means a wider stance needed so further improvisation, did a good job with what I had. Feeling spent now but still had tris to do. Dips went alright, only 2kg extra but reps held level and did another set. XOver ext stayed the same but reps ended out up over all especially with the additional set. Some stretching rehab and somehow even managed some abs after all that.

14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Another morning where the cool, fresh breeze didn't seem to make any difference to training temperature. Good session today tho.

Flat BB Bench: 8x40, 60, 5x80, 100x12, 11, 10, 9, 8
    X Over: #6 x16, 13, 11, 11, 11, 10
    Lat Pull Down: 8x#10, #14 x13, 11, 10, 9, 9
    Wide X Pulley High Row: #9+4kg x12, 10, 10, 10, 9, 8
    Smith Drag Curls: 35x17, 14, 12, 12, 11

Shoulder doing OK warming up and work sets moved nicely. Probably been a while since 100 when that comfortably for multiple double digit sets, weight up on last week and still held rep up and an additional set. Upped X overs too, these came surprisingly well so also saw another set. Lat pull was not such a shoulder strain today which was nice, resulted in some strong quality reps and another set too. So the trend continued on my pulley rows, reps were close to the limit here with the weight increase, for the extra set I could probably have held the odd rep back but can't complain. Finished with drag curls, weight up and reps equal so saved the extra set for next week considering everything else was well up.

15. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Bloody hot this morning, no cool breeze like last week not that it would have made any difference. To make matters worse, this week is peak week. To make things doubley worse after this week I have 4 weeks til I go on holiday so having a deload week seems silly and that will leave me a week short (or I do the deload and have 3 weeks to peak but with week 1 being kind of easy I should be fine doing the 4). Bit of a light weigh in this morning of 104.8 but no extra t shirt so.....

Calf Press: 10x80, 120, 160, 210x16, 15, 13, 13, 13, 12, 12
    Leg Press: 8x200, 280x19, 14, 14, 13, 12
    Back Squat: 5x60, 80, 125x10, 8, 7, 7
    Ham Curl: #10 x15, 10, 9, 9, 8
    Drag Curl (EZ bar): 37.5x14, 12, 11, 11, 10

When you finish calf work with a sweat on you know it's not gong to end well, lots of reps and work with a 10kg increase and reps just about hit OK. After a bit of internal debating leg press went up 20kg, mainly cos I feared the reps with 270 and thought 280 would drop me down, thanks to my own quest for improvement this didn't happen and reps were still up, quads were battered to fvck and while I nearly did another set I didn't think squats would go anywhere if I did. Once I eventually got going I went up 5kg again on squats and managed to match last week's reps, only just tho with some questionable pauses but I did try. Ham curls went relatively well, upped the weight and hit the required reps so no need for extra sets. Finished off with EZ drags, same weight for every week here but reps have been up every week and so it continued today, felt decent enough. Stretched and ab'ed to finish.