The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Another am/pm split session. Getting up early and within half an hour getting to the gym for hammies. Saved the calf work for the pm as the Mrs' friend was popping over after having something of a crisis so it kept me out of the way while I also had some bread proving ready to bake. Got my steps in just generally doing stuff, walked the long way to the gym and did that twice, town for the hairdressers and did a couple of km at my work when I took the Mrs there after my gym session so sitting here with a brew on nearly 17k steps

A: SLDL: 10x70, 10x110, 155x17, 14, 11
    B: Laying Ham Curls: #7x20, 13, 11
    C: Press Calf: 115x17, 14, 13
    D: Seated Calves: 40x21 +5x5
    E: Cable Grip Curls: #4x31, 31 (21+10), 31 (17+10+4)

Can't say I was 100% with it at 9am and the SL work felt heavy but still squeezed out +2 reps. Finished the a.m session with laying ham curls, still really feel these after a year off them pretty much, each set was up and as per last week, set 1 flies but then I drop off hard for set 2. Got home, ate, took the mrs to my place, had lunch, got some bread made and proved and hit calves around 3pm. Not a huge rep gain for being fresher than usual (but arguably less 'warmed up') but was till +4. Upped seated calf work and was even +1 here on the activation set... no noted it but I actually did 2 myorep sets, 2nd set was 16+5x5 just cos I had the time for some extra work, unlikely to be every week but we'll see. Grip curls saw a load of extra reps, set up differently but felt more friendly, stuck with it for this week but will next, huge pump/burn.

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Keep getting dragged back in to wanting a new car again LOL Keep looking and trying to decide if I put down £3k and HP ~£4k more for something newer for ~£100 or so a month. Or go with a £4-5k max budget which would take a chunk of savings and no repayments (or a couple down and just £50pm).

I dare say I'll procrastinate for a month again and do nothing like the last time but the more the Mrs talks about getting out more as restrictions ease I think I would be better off in a car that isn't 15 years old

3. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

On a 9 day training run ATM, got a hospital trip for the Mrs on Wednesday so will try and get the next 2 days in ready for a day off then. So no walk today as I did a morning gym session which I nearly made in to a split day. Relieved I didn't as I got home to us needing another hairdressers trip as my son hates his new hair cut LOL (another unwanted bill for the week) and then we paid a visit to the wife's grandmother. Try and get off my chair later, only 3k short of 10 and it's only half 3 so I can make it. Weighed in at 97 again today too.... could do with eating more but now with summer round the corner I may as well keep lean. All my blast meds are here too so once I check my pins stock I'll be a couple of weeks away from a nice clean cycle taking me in to June/July.

A: Incline Smith Press: 10x40, x60, 70x21, 17, 15
    B: Incline Cable Fly: #4x23, 17, 14
    C: Free Cable Push Down: 45s x21, 16, 15
    D: BB Bar PD: 35s x24, 24 (18+6), 24 (15+9)
    E: DB Curl: Myoreps 15s x17+ 5x5

Inc work wasn't bad for half an hour after waking and shoulder mobility probably not being at it's best, bit clunky noise wise too. Up a few reps regardless. Line felt off but it's a smith so it shouldn't be, but it's not aligned with the ceiling markings so in my head it feels wonky LOL Flyes were quite a bit up, shoulder OK but, again, I could feel it (need to remember to press the initial rep as starting from the top rather than the bottom seems to set my shoulder up better for bracing). Cable PDs were up a rep per set and no issues here, BB PDs also felt solid each up a rep and RP sets felt good. DB curls got some lost reps back and felt good, thicker handle definitely makes a difference to performance on these but they still feel decent.

4. mick_the_brick

mick_the_brick Administrator

What did you decide on running buddy?

5. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Whenever I login at work I have to remember to use my phone and not the work computer when talking about this lol

250 test and mast.
    330 primo.
    50 var.
    GH maybe 2iu a day (I have 200iu going)

6. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Another am/pm split altho a bit of an experiment being a leg day. Early shift at work saw me getting the calves part of my session in before breakfast saving quads for later. Altho there was plenty of recovery time I'm not sure my sore calf/back of knee thing wasn't in part due to this today as it played up doing quads just now. Steps wise, lots of car park monitoring today has me sitting at 10k already, plus I walked to the gym and the last 10min of my journey to work this morning

C: Belted Calves: 75+5kg x21, 17, 16
    D: Calf press: 131x15 +5x5... 131x13 +5x5
    E: Upright Rows: 25s x25 +5x5
    A: Cyclist Smith Squats: 10 x40, x60, 90x16, 12, 10
    B: Hack Squats: 80x14, 10, 9

Belted calf saw my try a slightly different set up which seemed to work quite well, also added a 5kg DB, hit my required reps well and felt on par with the set up at my mates gym. Calf press saw a slightly better show than a couple of weeks back when I upped the weight on my work set up, I also had time (like the other day) to do 2 myorep sets, the second set going better than I thought it would but am wondering now if they extra work is what bothered me today as well as the pre-fatiguing (which I don't feel should be an issue). Felt good at the time tho. Upright rows again feeling good with the shoulder. That was all around 10am, hit the p.m session around 4. Cyclist squats once the quirky knee settled in went well and up 4 reps on the 3 work sets. Quads feeling hit hard. Hacks was where I got a little cramping on the back of my knee and a bit in the calf, may need to use some supported heel lift here perhaps. Still got +3 reps over all which was a nice increase considering how tough they felt last week.

Next job is to find out why my gym membership is 99p more than the current rate and see if they try and make me 're-join' to get the current rate. When I last switched from off peak to 'anytime' after 5+ years membership they tried to make it sound like they did me a favour by waiving the admin fee LOL

7. spearman

spearman Elite Member

Thats an odd dose of primo?

8. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

It's just 2 vials split over 6 weeks at 100mg/ml rather than leaving 2ml left at the end

spearman likes this.
  9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Mrs wasn't too sure about the gym today so wanted to have a walk with me, as a result my gym session was moved to pre-breakfast (again) and went for a walk with the Mrs post-breakfast. Full session today too rather than a split. Back of knee was sore last night but has been OK today (altho I can feel it's still a bit 'angry'). Bit of a hectic morning tho as I needed to bake a loaf in between all of this and the Mrs wanted some muffins made for her friend popping over later too. And sort lunch out. And sort her out on zoom for her therapy session. Finally at work for a bit of peace and quiet.

A: V Bar Pull Downs: 12x #5, 12x #8, #11x22, 18, 15
    B: Barbell Deficit Rows: 60x18, 13, 12
    C: Inc Curls: 12.5s x24, 18, 14
    D: Drag Curls - EZ: #13x13... #12x16, 15
    E: Incline Handle Press: #6x20, 20 (16+4), 20 (14+6)

Nice start, albeit early mobility was good in the shoulder this morning and VPD felt smooth and up a few reps with comfort. Wasn't happy with last week's rows so went lighter and felt far better for it hitting the lats well and volume wise was also up. Inc curls were only up a net gain of 1 rep but they were fresh last week and I'm also dubious about the rest on one set as I hit the same reps on 2 sets last time. So more honest today if anything and up so that's a win. Got lazy on drag curls, had I gone upstairs I could have used the same set up and weight, but I didn't I used the other pully staying downstairs, misjudged the first set a bit, 2 and 3 were better. No harm in having had some extra load tho I guess. Managed to stay on this pully too for inc press thankfully (as I can't do this on the more adaptable system upstairs). Altho it's a x-over pully and arguably a bit too wide to do these perfectly they actually went quite well, altho set 1 I had too high a set up, but all good and felt good.

It's quiet at work now so time to procrastinate over cars again

10. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Another early morning session to appease the Mrs so she could join me for a walk later this morning. Was really quiet first thing. All done pre-breakfast again but felt good once I got going.

A: Barbell GMs: 10x40, 60, 95x21, 20, 18, 16
    B: Seated Ham Curl: 77.5 x22, 16, 12
    C: Press Calves: 115 x20, 18, 15, 14
    D: Seated Calves: 35x24 +5x5, 40 x18+5x5
    E: Wrist Curls - Bar: #10x28, 28 (21+7), 28 (18+10)

My bright idea was that a 5kg increase might drop me a rep or 2 and make my life easier for my 4 sets session this week.... turned out I did more reps anyway. I also seemed to smash the reps out on ham curls too (knee twinge not an issue other than a slight reminder on the last set perhaps) gaining +6. No idea where it was coming from this morning but calf press also saw a significant rep jump and felt strong and comfortable. Forgot I'd upped seated calves so first set was repping well and high. All good. But I did have another go at a double myorep set upping the second set. No idea what happened on wrist curls, thought I'd used a lighter bar perhaps as the weight was up and the reps were also up, by some margin. But on looking back I did use the same bar, can't complain then, just weird how much I was up this week.

11. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Long day today with the Mrs wanting to come shopping and the usual tensions that ensue with such a chore. Plus getting her to the gym after my gym session then getting back in time to pick up Zach's GF who is staying over.... all with the added entertainment of my engine management system kicking in and putting me in idle mode (throttle sensor so conveniently often resets later on). So up first thing and headed off for a week 3 push session so anticipating some shoulder irritation for the next week or so.

A: BB Flat Press: 10x40, 10x60, 82.5x23, 19, 14, 11
    B: Pec Dec : #12 x19, 16, 13
    C: Smith Skulls: 40x20, 17, 18, 16
    D: Ext Kick backs: 15s x23, 23 (19+4), 23 (17+6)
    E: Spider Curls: 12.5s x 23 + myorep 5x5,... 13+5x5

Solid enough start, upping by 2.5 and sets 1 and 2 up a rep each on pressing, then lost then added a set so a solid enough showing. I think the shoulder issues kick in here as I near max effort and some of the focus in keeping the shoulder pinned in it's pain free set up gets lost rather than actually directly related to the workload if that makes sense. Flyes stayed the same weight and was 4 up on the first 2 sets so allowed myself the break even 3rd set. Skull work was a bit random but I am guessing my rest periods last week were also off as I had 2 equal rep sets, this time I rested too little between 1 and 2 but got myself back on track and in all the extra volume was there. Got the double pully for the ext kick back work and locked that in well, shoulder felt good, reps were up on what I expected and the R-P work felt spot on. Spider curl work was up a rep but as I was doing well for time I whacked in a 2nd back too, reps hit a bit there but it did what it needed to.

12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Pre-breakfast sessions largely becoming the norm now altho the Mrs is back to work next week which frees me up to dictate my own schedule a bit more often (altho TBF it's not a bad habit and will still have to happen at weekends so I *may* sick with it, we'll see. am/pm splits will still have a place too). Zach had his GF staying over last night, first time we've had that situation to deal with. No sign of shenanigans. Still procrastinating the car replacement scenario, need to get the whole 'paying 9k for a car worth 7k that will only be worth 5k when I finish paying' out of my head LOL

A: Leg Press: 10x80, x120, 160x13... 140x13, 11, 10
    B: Leg Extension: 62.5x16, 14, 13
    C: Belt Calf: #21x24, 21, 18, 17
    D: Calf Press: 110x19 +5x5... 17+5x5
    E: Dumbbell SLRs: 10s x24 + myoreps 5x5

Ok, so those who care to remember last week this week is down by a fair bit... BUT... by the last set last week I'd realised I'd sacrificed ROM. No mistake there today hence the struggle on set 1 (I actually failed a 14th rep) and the lack of rep gains after dropping the weight. Bang on the money tho and hit the quads hard with dodgy knee showing no negative signs. Not quite the case on extensions. Same weight here, no gained reps after the brutality of leg pressing (but that's fine) the eccentric part of the extensions tho I could really feel the back of my right knee letting me know it wasn't happy. It did ease off 4 or 5 reps in to each set tho. Belted calf work was up a full pin on the stack and managed to be a rep up before adding the 4th set so pretty decent work there. Press myorep work stayed put but was up 2 reps on the activation set and as I have been doing so this week I felt good for a 2nd set of these too (which I actually did after my SLRs). Just the 1 extra rep on SLR work and while mobility is still a way off in my shoulder they were as pain free as they can be nowadays.

13. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Finally got a morning where my daily routine is what it usually is (altho it's not usually thins much of late) so got up, got my walk in, ate, then hit the gym. Mixed bag tho, nice to be more awake and fed BUT the gym was busy around 11am, and with a couple of 'groups' making a covid safe work in not very practical, thankfully I got more in their way than they did mine. The other plus was I also got to bump in to old MT member Brock Steel who I've not seen for a few months so had a good catch up. This was also the first time in this training block that I've done this session all in one go.

A: Hammer Rows: 12x20s, 10x30s, 40s x17, 14, 12, 10
    B: LPD: #11x22, 17, 14
    C: Cable EZ Curls: 60x18, 12, 10.... 50x11
    D: Free Cable Curls: per side 25s x20, 16, 15
    E: Machine Press: 60 x19,19 (15+4), 19 (11+5+3)

Got off to a nice start. Kept row weight the same but was up a rep on each set and being wk 3 also tagged on a 4th set. LPDs also moved well (altho I had to wait a couple of mins to get on this), up 5 reps on the 3 sets with relative comfort and shoulder behaving. Biceps was a bit up in the air. Had to use the double pully set up of old rather than my recent single set up. Nearly swapped pully but had I done so I risked losing my free curls, this way I could machine hog. Couldn't go with my current weight of 55, either 50 or 60, in the same of progression I went for 60. Felt the weight but still made good work of the reps. They were obviously down but I had the advantage volume wise of needing a 4th set today anyway, that said, I did drop to 50 for that just to rescue some reps back but annoyingly was still about 75kg short volume wise.... worth noting this is also the first time I have done biceps fatigued this block so it's not as bad as it sounds. Free curls were still up a rep on each set so clearly just a blip in proceedings. Slightly alien machine needed for machine press.... I think when I last used this I was struggling for 13 reps or so tho and this time was hitting 19, so a rep drop on recent performance but some sign of progress there anyway and good RP reps. Shoulder not acting up as much as thought either.

14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Getting a bit concerned at @RAD s absence.... what give's dude?

First day where I was captain of my own ship since what feels like forever. Well I say that, I still dropped the Mrs off at work (lovely trip thru rush hour traffic. Got home and went straight out for my walk, had breakfast, hit the gym then rushed thru getting everything ready I needed for work before picking her up in time for her Zoom therapy session and getting to work myself. So yeah, I was really 'in charge' for those few hours LOL

A: SLDL: 10x70, 10x110, 160x17, 14, 10, 8
    B: Laying Ham Curls: #7x21, 14, 11
    C: Press Calf: 115x19, 16, 14, 13
    D: Seated Calves: 40x22 +5x5... 20+5x5
    E: Cable Grip Curls: #5x27, 27 (20+7), 27 (17+10)

After the last SL session it certainly felt a bit better doing this after being awake for a few hours, that said, wasn't exactly a whole lot easier. I did up it by 5kg and the first 2 sets were solid, matching reps. 3rd set started to get slow with the 1st rep but OK after that, the 4th set was a brutal initial lift but held on for a clean 8 reps before I felt speed and form starting to near the edge. None of this was helped by yesterday being a lazy day which just let a little left side sciatica kick in a bit. Usual fun and games on laying ham curls... a good start but I never seem to recover after that and set 2 took it's usual dive (altho still ground a +1 rep out), set 3 got the better of me and not helped by my being careful of this knee twinge still. Calf press, however, was good, quite strong on these and nicely up before the extra set was tagged on. The double whammy sets on seated calf work was also pretty respectable. Grip curl closer was suitably pumpalicious on the forearms.

spearman likes this.
  15. mick_the_brick

mick_the_brick Administrator

My bets on him been tied up somewhere like a basement with a ball gag in his mouth

Decent long weekend mate?

When you starting your blast cycle ?

Ronnie_Malenko likes this.