The Dirty One - sept 2015 post blast poncing Pg 225

Discussion in 'Public Journals' started by dirtyvest, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Got my 1-in-4 Friday late shift tonight so an early gym session followed by a lot of dashing about to get the shopping all done. Managed to get the whole session in so no need to split am/pm or fri/sat so somewhere this weekend I'll get a day off. Probably Sunday as we have the grandson I believe.

A: Hammer Rows: 12x20s, 42.5s x17, 14
    B: LPD: #13x15, 12
    C: Spider Curls: x8kg, 15s x16, 13
    D: Cable Pin Wheel Curls: 25s x(#3) x20, 17
    E: Single Reverse Tri Ext: 20s x #3x29... #4x15
    F: Cable Forearm Grip Curls: 45s x22, 16

My tactic of fitting in various rehab exercise between work sets seemed to pay off a bit today. Started it all with Hammer rows, not easy but got a couple more reps out. Have been getting a sharp sting down my thumbs for months on these when I grip, used a hook grip on set 2 and it wasn't such an issue. Decent sets done tho. LPD form was tight this morning, happy with that, shoulder fairly tolerable too so another good couple of sets had here that felt like they targeted things well. Moving on to biceps work. Spider curls repped out respectably and pretty much twinge free. Different pulley for pin wheel work, and a little off weight wise I think but still good (were I not so meticulous with cleaning the stuff I use down I would have beat them to the pulley I prefer), higher reps probably did my shoulder a favour TBH. In theory that same weight should have been right for the tricep work but this ended out repping far higher than necessary, upped it for the 2nd set which was more on point. Upped the grip curl weight and set 1 was better than I anticipated.

2. RAD

RAD Elite Member

Of course the council make the rules but don't have to follow them.

That gym is something else lol, I forgot about the stupid rule honestly who the fcuk dreams them up.

How was running through a full session?

3. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Not bad. Hitting rehab during the session seems to really work. Most of the day it wasn't too bad either until I did some rehab on it's own in the evening so am going to just stick with peri-training rehab and see what happens for a week. I think the issue with inflammation and tendonitis related problems is that the body doesn't interpret the pain as an injury so does nothing to heal or fix it, then all I do is irritate it.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

I have a session in the bank this weekend but opted to get hams done today instead of tomorrow and will give myself tomorrow off (could start to split for Monday's session but a day off sounds more appealing). Had to go out and get my son some clothes today and broke down all the knackered fence panels to separate the posts, struts and planks up from each other. Looks a neater mess now and also means I can see what is salvageable. Got 11 old posts that I can remove the rotten wood from and have all down to about 5' of usable wood for each. Could certainly do something with that. Lots of the flimsy planks could be put to some use to. Most of the struts have had it but a few might be reusable. Together with the left over wood from the new fence and I could probably make a man-cave with it if I knew what I was doing.

A: Laying Ham Curls: x#6, #8x19, 15
    B: Single Leg Stand - extension: #7x14, 11
    C: Seated Calves - Lockout: 42.5x20, 19
    D: Press Calf - heavy: 160 (130)x13, 13

Trying not to get too carried away with the hips on leg curls so set 1 didn't see any progression annoyingly, but the 2nd set was up 2 so all good in the end. Same story on single leg work, I think the glute extension was starting to dominate what I was doing so looking to dial that back. Good reps here tho, +2 on each set. Seated calf work was up in weight and also up in reps. Not easy but solid work. Press work was done on the hack again (TBH I didn't even check if the press was 'fixed' or not, just got on with it).

5. RAD

RAD Elite Member

Did the deca not do anything for it? Why don't you try that TUT for it as it has worked wonders for my elbow/forearm.

You've got to build a man cave it would be epic imagine how impressed your Mrs would be!!

6. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

For any direct work TUT is agony. It's permanently inflamed so increasing the time under load doesn't help.

Mrs has already lectured me on the 'my time scale' issue. Bearing in mind I only broke all the wood down in to it's constituent parts yesterday and still haven't yet established what is good and useable and what is rotten. Plus removing the rotten bits from the good wood... All this on my own while doing all the weekend cooking and chores, driving everyone about etc etc.

I might just build my own bachelor pad and fvck off lol

7. RAD

RAD Elite Member

Certainly looks like you need to get the shoulder professionally sorted you've pretty much tried everything to no avail now.

Your weekends are far to busy isn't father's day coming up soon? They should let you put your feet up for the day....... like that's going to happen LOL.

Sort the wood and bring it to the island for the beach home.

8. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Interestingly, the shoulder has been pretty good this weekend. Limiting rehab just to while I am training could be the trick. To not be persistently irritating it thru the day could well have not been helping (no shit sherlock LOL). Still far from perfect so will pull my finger out and get the ball rolling for a check on it.

Never get to truly rest. Mrs is back on to putting a screen up against the where the neighbour has cut everything back. I just can't be doing with the friction and pissing match that will the ensue.

Father's day... oh hell yeah. I'll bugger off to the gym for the day.

9. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Mixed bag on the shoulder today once I got going. Work was fairly full on tho, boss back from a week in Florida and we had a load of stuff that needed dealing with and discussing, not what she probably wanted on her first day back. Still room for a workout tho.

a.m
    C: Close Grip: (machine) x100, 170 x18, 13
    D: /\ Rope PD: 35x18, 13
    E: Seated DB Curl: 15s x19, 16
    p.m
    A: Incline Smith (Guillotine) Press: 10x50, 60x17, 14
    B: Incline Cable Fly (high): (#4)x19, 14
    F: Upright Rows: #9x19, 15

Straight away the shoulder seemed to be playing ball this morning, again, possibly helped by peri workout rehab and not having done much on it yesterday. This was evident in a solid rep increase on the CG work. altho I used the pulley last week, compared to the last block I knocked the reps out of the park. Similar story on the rope PD work, granted it was the work pulley not my gym one, but nonetheless I easily added to the reps. And being largely pain free, seated DB curls saw a significant rep jump without compromising form (or so I felt). Despite the morning going well I still wasn't expecting miracles with the chest work in the afternoon. Even with rehab work during the session a light warm up set told me things would be tight. Proper warm up set wasn't too mad and moved OK so I felt having another go at 60 again (last week this was worryingly noisy). No escaping an element of some grumping... creaking and groaning thru the 17 reps but at least didn't feel like it would go on me and a good rep improvement. 2nd set was a lot better, as it usually is, not perfect but felt more reliable. Cable flyes were a challenge to improve on but seeing as pressing was significantly better I wasn't judging that too harshly, still good work and only slightly grumbly. Upright rows went much the same way. Worth noting PWO aching not feeling as severe as usual.

10. RAD

RAD Elite Member

Yeah it's time to get it sorted hopefully it won't take a big op or anything to fix it.

So she's poking the hornet's nest that's just what you need.

Which movements are a problem with the shoulder ? I would have thought upright rows would really kick it off.

11. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

I don't think frozen shoulders usually require a big op... they kind of just inflate the capsule in the shoulder, tear it a open and let the body heal itself. From what I gather the problem with tendon inflammation is that the body doesn't recognise it as an injury so does little to heal it. Hence why when we get tendonitis in the forearms from our training it never goes away as such.

I'm hoping she'll go thru a less wound up phase and change her mind.

The shoulder problems often make no sense, benching it makes the worst noises imaginable but doesn't 'hurt', it's not comfy but it's not painful. SLR and upright, done at the end of a session are OK. Bracing the shoulder for exercises are usually the more uncomfortable/painful, bicep curls can be a real nuisance.

12. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

Another nice and early blast for the legs. Quads this time. Pretty decent session altho I seem to have annoyingly done something to my good shoulder, I'm guessing the hack weight on it may have just caught something off guard. Keep an eye on that.

A: Hack Squats: 10x60, 90x13, 11
    B: Leg Ext: 67.5x21, 15
    C: Calf press LOCKOUT: 100x14, 12 (on Hack Sq)
    D: Belted Calves HEAVY: #22+37.5 x16, 13

Something loading on my good shoulder didn't feel right but it wasn't something I could obviously see was wrong so figured it was just one of those things. Didn't bother the leg work tho and was a couple of reps for the good with a slightly higher heel lift than last week, so I'll take that as slightly better progress than it looks. Leg ext were solid too, good 2 reps extra on the 1st set and still up on the 2nd too. Calf press work still replaced with the hack squat, quite liking them ATM tho and lockout reps felt on the money. Belted calf work was a little slow to start but finished a bit better.

13. RAD

RAD Elite Member

You wont know yourself if you get it fixed you'll have to injure something else instead lol.

Your Mrs letting something go!!.......not to convinced she will.

Your right it makes no sense ,seems like shoulder work doesn't really bother it but other stuff does..... weird.

14. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

ATM my good shoulder is starting too act up .... so maybe the bad shoulder is on the mend and the good one is ready to take up the slack LOL

15. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

2 part split to my pull session today. Steady day at work, hosting exams so not too much to deal with. Getting an incentive based reward scheme implemented, which sounds good but it seems to be a response to getting caught out giving all the teaching staff a windfall last year that none of us in the commercial wings saw. Still, this will hopefully be a long term yearly occurrence rather than a one off, so every cloud....

a.m.
    C: Drag Curls EZ: 65x15, 13
    D: DB Curls: 15s x18, 14
    E: Tricep X-over Ext: 15s x20, 15
    p.m.
    A: Cable Grip Rows: x#6, #10x20, 18
    B: V Grip Downs: #13x18, 13
    F: Wrist Curls: #17x21, 14

Kicked things off with some drag curls. After last weeks form concerns I figured what I was trying to change to was wrong so went back to what I was doing, pulling in higher wasn't improving bicep targeting hence why it seemed to hurt on my shoulder I think, so all good today and decent reps. DB work was alright, feeling it a little more in the shoulder than the last one or two sessions but not so bad that it stopped me performing a few extra reps. Same with the tri x-over ext work, little stingy but reps nicely up and form tight. Back work, which was fairly uncomfortable last week, moved a fair bit better giving a few more reps on the grip bar rows, tech nicely locked in. VPD work a little more twingey but up here too and happy that momentum was kept to a minimum. Wrist curls rounded the session off. Rehab work done again in-between sets on both sessions today.