Training Into Your Later Years.

Discussion in 'All About Training' started by Dirty Harry, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

May be a little far off for some, but have you ever thought about it, or even approaching it ?

I'm just getting back into things in a more serious way (no gear) having taken a break for around 3 years, one thing I have definitely noticed is recovery, 2 x hard full body workouts a week I seem to manage, but 3 (as in Monday , Wednesday, Friday) seems to be a real no-no, I'm absolutely battered, thinking of going on a traditional split, say 4 days, chest, back off/boxing routine, legs, shoulders.

So, anyone starting to feel their recovery etc is getting longer as you've aged, and what have you done, or plan to do in response ?

2. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Some of it is a case of adaptation. I train every day mon-fri and am rarely less than 2hrs (some of that will include stretching out). Yeah I often feel knackered but then I also have to work late shifts, take my son to school, rush around endlessly at weekends visiting family and getting chores done etc - none of that was ever a concern in my 20s. Oddy, I find my worst days are the ones where I really do nothing at all.

Dirty Harry likes this.
  3. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

I'm tired just reading that DV haha, no wonder you don't do any cardio, so how much of that two hours would you say is actual lifting bud ? And do you do a split of one body part a day type thing ?

Oh, and do you make a noise when you get up out of a chair and when you sit down ?

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Elite Member

Most of it TBH, if I keep my pace going and don't chat then 90mins, Weds session is usually the properly long one. I basically train everything twice a week so

mon: legs with a little bi
    tue: push
    wed: legs back and bi
    thurs: push
    fri: back and bi

I can't even scratch my head without groaning TBH

Dirty Harry likes this.
  5. The Love Machine

The Love Machine A steroid pumping, food raping machine

Im nearing my 30's and finding that literally being on my feet for 9 hours a day, eating rubbish and not drinking enough i struggle to make my 3 sessions a week. I fall asleep most nights on the sofa at about 9 if i dont train.

I remember doing 5 sessions a week, 3 nights on the pop and working overtime.

No idea how.

Dirty Harry likes this.
  6. Arterial Dan

Arterial Dan Administrator Staff Member

Stop doing full bodys!
    Chest/Back/Legs/Sho/Arms is much easier to recover from/progress from.

I changed my training style 2 years ago, when I tored my Teres Major.
    Never looked better tbh.
    Summary here:

Grimnir and Dirty Harry like this.
  7. spearman

spearman Elite Member

I'm approaching 37 and recovery has always been an issuer for me, but I think a lot of that has to do with poor sleep and nutrition.
    Training wise I need to cycle my training or I just burn out. Staying away from failure works best for me.
    I use wendlers 531 mostly for my main lifts and accessories to suit.
    I usually only lift twice a week. If I slept better I'm sure I could train more, but no point training what you can't recover from!

Dirty Harry likes this.