What Whey Or Proteins Ya’ll Currently Buying?

Discussion in 'Supplement Discussion' started by The_BFG, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Moderator Staff Member

I tend to go for the lowest price with a decent amount of protein (80% + type thing) and low carb/fats, and tbh, I tend to use whey to cook/bake with these days although I'll still have the odd shake post workout if it's looking like I may not hit my protein target.

2. Dirty Harry

Out of interest mate, what does he say happens to the excess protein ?

I'll say now what my latest readings/findings say so it doesn't feel like I'm ambushing you lol, but whilst that's relatively true (think depending on the person it can be anywhere around the 20-30 gram mark) the rest is still broken down and goes into the amino acid pool for later use so not like it's actually wasted.

3. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Elite Member

lol.... im just a simple person, so i dont know all the in's and out's of it all.

His insta voicemail has expired now. Was only a brief message about whey absorption, and how meats/solid food sources being the better of the two with slowly digestion rates.

Also, have tried baking your oats with whey protein? Missus does that PWO and 1x meal on a rest day. She loves it. She uses the Per4m Blueberry Muffin and Carrot Cake flavours, smells gorgeous when baking.

4. dirtyvest

dirtyvest Moderator

No debate about solid food being slower to digest than whey.... but the MPS thing with is still highly questionable considering we all consume more than enough protein for maximum stimulation of MPS. This is where the science is lacking on that Viso stuff, they've only studied it against a consumption of 6g of whey so the science is still hugely questionable regarding those of us consuming 1g+ per lb of bodyweight. If you only stimulate MPS by 20% of it's potential there is room for improvement, but if you are stimulating it at 90% you probably are not making things much better are you certainly aren't going to get above 100%

5. Dirty Harry

No worries mate, think we forget that first and foremost, our bodies are an incredible survival organism and have a great many systems in place to make the most of that.

In general, I think these days we tend to look waaaay too much into the science and studies, take them as absolute fact for everyone, and forget what our own experiences/results have told us, imo there are just too many variables in people to do that, I mostly look at stuff people like Eric Helms have done because those tend to be more bodybuilding/experienced trainer focused and have more relevance rather than a study for hypertrophy done on newbies in a Spanish retirement home lol (not quite, but I'm sure you get the picture).

I've actually said before, me being the test subject too, Leangains/Intermittent Fasting works great for me losing chub, but I've had far better results in muscle gain in the traditional same macro's spread evenly over the day, and yet the science tells me it doesn't matter !

The baking thing, yes I actually powder the oats so it's basically oat flour (rather than pay £2.50 for a little bag), I do a lovely toffee apple cake with it, just use a couple of tins of apple and some zero calorie Maple syrup, bake it, then portion it off and when I want some, stick it in the air fryer, fuckin amazing :).

Grimnir likes this.